It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2015 Oscar Nominees

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 11:16 AM
link   
2015 Oscar Nominee Discussion -

ABC News Full Nominee List

Best Actor
Steve Carell, "Foxcatcher"
Bradley Cooper, "American Sniper"
Benedict Cumberbatch, "The Imitation Game"
Michael Keaton, "Birdman"
Eddie Redmayne, "The Theory of Everything"

Best Actress
Marion Cotillard, "Two Days, One Night"
Felicity Jones, "The Theory of Everything"
Julianne Moore, "Still Alice"
Rosamund Pike, "Gone Girl"
Reese Witherspoon, "Wild"

Best Supporting Actor
Robert Duvall, "The Judge"
Ethan Hawke, "Boyhood"
Edward Norton, "Birdman"
Mark Ruffalo, "Foxcatcher"
J.K. Simmons, "Whiplash"

Best Supporting Actress
Patricia Arquette, "Boyhood"
Laura Dern, "Wild"
Keira Knightley, "The Imitation Game"
Emma Stone, "Birdman"
Meryl Streep, "Into the Woods"

Best Picture
"American Sniper"
"Birdman"
"Boyhood"
"The Grand Budapest Hotel"
"The Imitation Game"
"Selma"
"The Theory of Everything"
"Whiplash"

Okay .. I have seen NONE of these movies and most I've never heard of. I plan to see American Sniper as well as Into The Woods, but I'll wait until they are 'on demand' because I"m not going near a movie theatre with the flu epidemic raging ....

That being said, I really like Meryl Streep. She's probably my favorite actress.

So since I haven't seen any of these and haven't heard of most of them, I won't take a guess as to who will win or what movie will win. But I'll post it so those that wish to have a discussion on this can. Enjoy!

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 11:26 AM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

Out of all the actors listed I only know of 14 of them. And on the movies list...I have seen one of them...(The Grand Budapest Hotel). So...really I (at this time) don't have a clue what person or movie may win.

Going to the movie theater is just too expensive for my budget...so what I do is wait until the downtown library has popular movies in stock...then I check them out and watch them for free...but the wait to see them can be lengthy sometimes.

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Best actor I would go with Michael Keaton. Best actress I would go with Julianne Moore. Best supporting actor I would go with J.K. Simmons. Best supporting actress I would go with Laura Dern. Best picture, Birdman hands down.

The biggest surprise of all was that Lego Movie was not even nominated for best animated movie.

But in the end it does not even matter. We all like what we like.

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 01:12 PM
link   
I haven't seen any of the nominees for 'Best Picture.'
Going on what I've got, I'd give the trophy to 'Guardians of the Galaxy.'

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Birdman was such a lame movie imo. Idk how it got nominated for anything. I want my internet bandwidth back...

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 03:18 PM
link   

So far, I've seen Birdman, The Grand Budapest Hotel ,The Imitiation Game and Wild. Of those, in my opinion, The imitation Game is best and certainly of Best Picture quality. Because of the nature of the film, I don't think Birdman has a chance of winning Best Picture nor was it better than The Imitation Game. I don't think The Grand Budapest Hotel is of Best Picture quality. I think they're nominating too many films for Best Picture.

I would say that Benedict Cumberbatch gave a better performance than Michael Keaton. Subtle, understated performances are much more difficult that over-the-top performances like the one given by Michael Keaton in Birdman.

I've seen Wild and Reese Witherspoon was very good but I haven't seen the other best actress nominees in the roles for which they were nominated.

Edward Norton was great in Birdman (in my opinion, better than Michael Keaton). Robert Duvall and Mark Ruffalo should never be counted-out although I haven't yet seen them in those performances.

Emma Stone and Keira Knightley were both good. I don't think Laura Dern belongs in the best supporting actress nomination category. Meryl Streep should never be counted out.

I can't wait to see the other films and performances.

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 03:29 PM
link   
After 2 wins for best director and best picture(Clint), anyone betting against American Sniper?

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Too many torrent users in here

American Sniper should take a few Oscars in, it's a picture which is raw, gritty and makes you feel part of the unimaginable surroundings.

The Grand Budapest Hotel wasn't something I would normally watch, but Ralph Fiennes performance is fantastic, and really funny too!

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 04:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid
After 2 wins for best director and best picture(Clint), anyone betting against American Sniper?

Not betting against it but it will have to be very good to beat The Imitation Game for best picture. Eastwood will also be up against Inarritu for best director.

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 04:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: skyblueworld
Too many torrent users in here

American Sniper should take a few Oscars in, it's a picture which is raw, gritty and makes you feel part of the unimaginable surroundings.

The Grand Budapest Hotel wasn't something I would normally watch, but Ralph Fiennes performance is fantastic, and really funny too!

I found The Grand Budapest Hotel to be a series of skits strung together rather than a cohesive film. It's not that the individual skits weren't good, but I don't think it's a great film. It's barely a good film. The problem with nominating so many films for best picture is that it drops the overall quality of the category.

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 05:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid

I highly doubt that will win.
It's patriotic and Hollywood hates to acknowledge that kind of thing.

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Maybe but he's has a talent. His first directing gig(unless I'm wrong) was The Outlaw Josie Wales(74'ish?). He has his finger on the pulse.

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 06:37 PM
link   
I missed all of these movies. Seems like a very tame year for the box office. Best wishes to the nominees and winners.

originally posted by: FlyersFan
2015 Oscar Nominee Discussion -

ABC News Full Nominee List

Best Actor
Steve Carell, "Foxcatcher"
Bradley Cooper, "American Sniper"
Benedict Cumberbatch, "The Imitation Game"
Michael Keaton, "Birdman"
Eddie Redmayne, "The Theory of Everything"

Best Actress
Marion Cotillard, "Two Days, One Night"
Felicity Jones, "The Theory of Everything"
Julianne Moore, "Still Alice"
Rosamund Pike, "Gone Girl"
Reese Witherspoon, "Wild"

Best Supporting Actor
Robert Duvall, "The Judge"
Ethan Hawke, "Boyhood"
Edward Norton, "Birdman"
Mark Ruffalo, "Foxcatcher"

Best Supporting Actress
Patricia Arquette, "Boyhood"
Laura Dern, "Wild"
Keira Knightley, "The Imitation Game"
Emma Stone, "Birdman"
Meryl Streep, "Into the Woods"

Best Picture
"American Sniper"
"Birdman"
"Boyhood"
"The Grand Budapest Hotel"
"The Imitation Game"
"Selma"
"The Theory of Everything"

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Well the Oscars are now only hours away so I guess we will see who's predictions are more accurate. Anyone else watching?

edit on 22-2-2015 by Asynchrony because: (no reason given)

join