It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

More U-2 whiplash

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 08:13 PM
link   
a reply to: boomer135

That he's smarter than he looks.

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 09:00 PM
link   
a reply to: mbkennel

In this story in popular mechanics towards the end they elude to that very technology, in this quote:

The drones, cruise missiles, and decoys may lead an attack, spewing radar beams and flooding computer networks with viruses. But they will have to be built to defeat powerful radar networks and fast missiles with can't-miss seekers.

I can't remember where I read it (I'm still looking) but someone wrote a piece on the F-35 and this capability.

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 09:50 PM
link   
a reply to: mbkennel

The period at the end of the link initially led me to believe that it suddenly went black lol. I was so essited until I noticed.

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 10:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: BASSPLYR
a reply to: MystikMushroom

Would be cool if they had a EW system called Jedi Mind Trick where they send on the return wave of the radar a hidden subtle virus or spike that tells the radar's computers that it see's nothing and that everything if fine.

Heh. There was a transponder rig that exploited a soft spot in the transponder data spec and could do all sorts of things to radar systems with buffer overflow tricks. Download code to it if you knew the system pinging you.

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 12:42 AM
link   
a reply to: BASSPLYR

Active stealth?

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 04:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Bedlam

couldn't a phase conjugation microwave bean eventually load up enough to fry a IED? Use the F22s power source. Lock on with the beam. Circle the IED a few times while beam loads up and builds. Eventually Blamo!

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 05:50 PM
link   
anyone else realize that were talking about lasers at this point? lol

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Thread drift, sounds like just another day here at the ATS aviation forums. It's kinda cool that way. One thread will have dozens of topics that aren't reflected in the title. The thing is each and every one of these threads dominates just about any thread from any other forum here at ATS with serious knowledge and a unrivaled sense of community. At least in my opinion. The Aviation forums here are a hidden gem on the internet and some of the finest product ATS has. I think it may be hard for newcomers to follow but that's because they gotta read the whole thing to get on the same page most of the time. But damn is that read worth it.

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 10:18 PM
link   

not the f-35 0r 22 but a cool laser defense system on a drone

www.youtube.com...

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 10:19 PM
link   
a reply to: penroc3

Now if they can only make it work.

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 10:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

lol, SSL's not working out to well?

i assume it would be a optics type issue? unless they used the adaptive optics from the YAL?

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 11:00 PM
link   

Optics are the big problem right now. Lasers are somewhat over rated. The YAL ran into all kinds of issues with the optics, which is why they killed it. It would have had to orbit over hostile territory to be able to do its mission and actually hit anything.

They work, don't get me wrong, but they're really limited in what they can do, and aren't the "oh my god" weapon that people think they are.
edit on 1/16/2015 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 11:07 PM
link   

i would think trucking around a bunch of fluorine and other nasty s let alone orbiting known missile sites would be kind of scary.

i wonder if you sent a maser then a laser right after would help with the distortions

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 11:30 PM
link   

It's pretty well contained actually. The only thing is that COIL was huge. That's why they put it in a 747-400.

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 05:20 PM
link   
I watched a U2 do touch and go's for about a hour yesterday in Palmdale. Pretty cool. a reply to: Zaphod58

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 06:01 PM
link   
a reply to: yak055h

I saw that same U-2 making an approach to Fox Field, just north of Lancaster. Usually, I just see them headed for the stratosphere after leaving PMD.

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 06:59 PM
link   
a reply to: yak055h

I got to do pogo duty a couple times. It's fun being out there right next to the runway when they land and take off. That's one of the ones I miss the most. It's always fun watching them go screaming into the sky.

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 02:09 AM
link   

I love this beautiful aircraft, I do. But three more years of antiquated operations? We need to move into the 21st century of aerial reconnaissance. As many of you know, it's already amongst us.

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 05:48 AM
link   
a reply to: aholic

And there's no reason the U-2 can't do it. In fact it's capable of things UAVs aren't right now.

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 03:15 PM
link   

I love the Dragonlady but I was referring to aforenamed black projects that are looking to replace her. Totally understand that she can go another three years, probably another 10 if needed. I'm just anxious to see the next gen stuff fill her hole.

Eta. Gosh that sounded dirty

edit on 21-1-2015 by aholic because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join