It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is the worst firearm you have ever used / owned?

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Tec-9
The thing was so jam prone that shooting it became a chore.

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 02:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: WatchRider

originally posted by: sg1642
a reply to: WatchRider

The A1 was a bag of crap. The A2 is a different story. Three rounds out of five making one large hole at 200m isn't a bad rifle if you ask me. And given the nature of today's typical fighting environment I'd rather be clearing rooms with it than an SLR. It's heavy for a compact weapon though and a right pain to clean.

I hated the minimi. Never used to agree with them.

Echo the minimi, don't quite echo the A2. It's ok for FIBUA but the fighting of the future won't be in urban areas that much imho.

SLR is in 7.62mm. Folding stock, shortened barrel, good to go! Just ask the Aussies Vets from 'Nam and they'll not knock the SLR at all. There's was in full auto, good for counter-ambushing. Rounds would rip through trees to nail charlie hiding behind it. A weapon feared by the enemy unlike the M-16 (usually).

They ought to have made the SA 80 platform in an intermediate round like the .280 (as the early trials were leaning towards). Instead they went with the mainstream trend and down-graded.

I'd rather have a general in my hands. For a supposed compact weapon they are heavy for their size and a bugger for stoppages. Not knocking the SLR anything with stopping power is good in my book. The wars of the future will be often be urban mate. Iraq was all urban and afghan was often fibua based too. Large standing armies don't tend to last too long in the open and insurgents will always run to the hills (or towns in this case) and try to mingle with the locals. Urban or jungle/bush fighting I reckon. Don't know if they were after your time but have you tried any of the new 7.62 toys we got? They are lovely pieces of kit and combine all the best bits of the SLR and the 80.

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 03:17 PM
link   
My first was a AR-7 .22 Dad and i use to ride the motorcycles out to the farm pond, and plunk at turtles.
The rules were you could only shoot the head when they came up for air.
no scope, open sights, side by side on the bank.
We would take turns, one would shoot until they got a turtle, then it was the next persons turn.
Loved that little rifle, picked me one up about 12 years ago, but i had a Jeep just for camping, it was in the back, i had moved and left the jeep parked at a friends house, came back a month later to get it, and it was gone.
They said the city towed it. But i never found it, or the gun again.
Looking at picking up another one before long, i have a .22 for the kids, but its wood stock, a bit heavy
for our daughter, i think the AR would be just what she needs to get hooked on shooting.

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 04:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: severdsoul
My first was a AR-7 .22 Dad and i use to ride the motorcycles out to the farm pond, and plunk at turtles.
The rules were you could only shoot the head when they came up for air.
no scope, open sights, side by side on the bank.
We would take turns, one would shoot until they got a turtle, then it was the next persons turn.
Loved that little rifle, picked me one up about 12 years ago, but i had a Jeep just for camping, it was in the back, i had moved and left the jeep parked at a friends house, came back a month later to get it, and it was gone.
They said the city towed it. But i never found it, or the gun again.
Looking at picking up another one before long, i have a .22 for the kids, but its wood stock, a bit heavy
for our daughter, i think the AR would be just what she needs to get hooked on shooting.
is that not illegal to have happen?

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 04:43 PM
link   

I wouldn't own the worst firearm. Meaning none of them.
Not my laser sighted Ruger Redhawk .44. Nor my .44 single
action Blackhawk.

Oh wait my Daisy BB gun dimiinished in range and never had
much accuracy in windy conditions. Highly unreliable and not
much in terms of take down power. Unless you're a sparrow.

posted on Feb, 1 2015 @ 07:57 AM
link   
a reply to: sg1642

Not in the USA .

posted on Feb, 1 2015 @ 08:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: WatchRider

I'd rather have a general in my hands. For a supposed compact weapon they are heavy for their size and a bugger for stoppages. Not knocking the SLR anything with stopping power is good in my book. The wars of the future will be often be urban mate. Iraq was all urban and afghan was often fibua based too. Large standing armies don't tend to last too long in the open and insurgents will always run to the hills (or towns in this case) and try to mingle with the locals. Urban or jungle/bush fighting I reckon. Don't know if they were after your time but have you tried any of the new 7.62 toys we got? They are lovely pieces of kit and combine all the best bits of the SLR and the 80.

General? Compact weapon with stoppages? Not sure I follow your meaning there. GPMG???

They won't be urban like before, the towns and cities will be charnel houses, the fighting will spill out onto the vilages, wilderness areas and highways nearby. Hordes of people starving and desperate will be roaming about, supported by deserting soldiers who band together. Fortified redoubts and small communities will be like outposts facing the fury of the fighting. Long-ranged exchanges will return, mark my words...

The new toys the BA have got is mostly restricted to support and designated marksmen. No move has been made to change the mainstay rifle currently employed - The A2 L85. That's after my time BUT I still follow the arms scene and myself have a few. One is in .223 / 5.56mm.

top topics

<< 4  5  6   >>

join