It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Researchers Unveil Reconstructed Face of Ancient American Indian

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2015 @ 05:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: punkinworks10

originally posted by: grey580
a reply to: SLAYER69

Reminds me of Han Chinese.

Don't ask me why.

its unfortunate that is what the artist intended, to re enforce the beringian model.

The genetic evidence may have influenced the artist, as it indicates Siberian origins.

What's is truely odd is that at the time this women lived there was nobody in asia with mogoloid features, as they had not evovled yet.

The human fossil remains of the Ordos Man from Salawusu site in Inner Mongolia dated between 50,000 and 35,000 BCE show strong Mongoloid features, specifically on the fore-tooth and occipital bone.

Wiki

Harte

posted on Jan, 17 2015 @ 07:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Harte

Don't ask me why.

its unfortunate that is what the artist intended, to re enforce the beringian model.

The genetic evidence may have influenced the artist, as it indicates Siberian origins.

What's is truely odd is that at the time this women lived there was nobody in asia with mogoloid features, as they had not evovled yet.

The human fossil remains of the Ordos Man from Salawusu site in Inner Mongolia dated between 50,000 and 35,000 BCE show strong Mongoloid features, specifically on the fore-tooth and occipital bone.

Wiki

Harte

Hi Harte ,

From your above linked source,

In 1999, Peter Brown of the Department of Anthropology and Paleoanthropology at the University of New England evaluated three sites with early East Asian modern human skeletal remains (Liujiang, Liuzhou, Guangxi, China; Shandingdong Man of (but not Peking Man) Zhoukoudian's Upper Cave; and Minatogawa in Okinawa) dated to between 10,175 to 33,200 years ago, and finds lack of support for the conventional designation of skeletons from this period as "Proto-Mongoloid". He stated that "The colonisation of the Americas by 11 kyr indicates an earlier date for the appearance of distinctively East Asian features, however, the earliest unequivocal evidence for anatomically East Asian people on the Asian mainland remains at 7000 years BP." He saw this as "possibility that migration across the Bering Strait went in two directions and the first morphological Mongoloids evolved in the Americas." [32]

The assertion that modern mongoloid features evolved in situ in north America was first introduced in J. Lawrence Angel's 1966 monograph on late plieostocene, early Holocene burials in central California.

Angels very interesting paper can be found here 

www.sil.si.edu...

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 04:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: Harte

Don't ask me why.

Wiki

Harte

Hi Harte ,

From your above linked source,

In 1999, Peter Brown of the Department of Anthropology and Paleoanthropology at the University of New England evaluated three sites with early East Asian modern human skeletal remains (Liujiang, Liuzhou, Guangxi, China; Shandingdong Man of (but not Peking Man) Zhoukoudian's Upper Cave; and Minatogawa in Okinawa) dated to between 10,175 to 33,200 years ago, and finds lack of support for the conventional designation of skeletons from this period as "Proto-Mongoloid". He stated that "The colonisation of the Americas by 11 kyr indicates an earlier date for the appearance of distinctively East Asian features, however, the earliest unequivocal evidence for anatomically East Asian people on the Asian mainland remains at 7000 years BP." He saw this as "possibility that migration across the Bering Strait went in two directions and the first morphological Mongoloids evolved in the Americas." [32]

The assertion that modern mongoloid features evolved in situ in north America was first introduced in J. Lawrence Angel's 1966 monograph on late plieostocene, early Holocene burials in central California.

Angels very interesting paper can be found here 

www.sil.si.edu...

Yes, I saw that in the wiki article and found it very interesting as well.

Possible, but doubtful to my mind.

Harte

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 11:19 PM
link   
First, how can they be sure that she's 13,000 years old? Second, even if her age is correct, how can they be sure that she's an ancestor of the Native Americans? Third, according to this article, she was found along with other fossils, how then can they be sure that she fell, as opposed to a certain flood killing her?

www.northwestern.edu...

To me, what we need is a frequency and count of all the HaploGroups, for both Y-DNA and mtDNA, then we will know about migration patterns.

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 12:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: np6888
First, how can they be sure that she's 13,000 years old?

A combination of 14C dating with Uranium-Thorium method and correlation of the crystals growing on the bones.

Second, even if her age is correct, how can they be sure that she's an ancestor of the Native Americans?

MtDNA tells us she is of haplogroup D. Its from Northeast Asia(Siberia, Beringia) and its subclade D1 is one of 5 of the haplogroups found in the indigenous people of the Americas.

Third, according to this article, she was found along with other fossils, how then can they be sure that she fell, as opposed to a certain flood killing her?

Being able to date the remains is the first step. Dating water intrusion and cave formation in The geological formation, hydrogeology and recrystalized rock sediment younger than the remains indicate that water wasnt intruding until after she was deceased. Thats besides the fact that sea levels didnt vegin to rise significsntly for a few thousand years.

To me, what we need is a frequency and count of all the HaploGroups, for both Y-DNA and mtDNA, then we will know about migration patterns.

This is all known. Distribution and migrationsgoung back to the first human extinction event 50 KYA and the second one to around 32-35 kYA. These are the results of genetic bottlenecks. The first one being a result of the Toba eruption which caused the few remaining people to seek out new habitsts during the 6 year nuclear wi ter amd the subsequent 1000 year cold streak. These new populations in new geographic areas led to new haplogtpes emerging.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join