It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The US Has More Jails Than Colleges

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 10:40 PM
link   
Not that they're mutually exclusive concepts, but nonetheless:

Washin gton Post

There were 2.3 million prisoners in the U.S. as of the 2010 Census. It's often been remarked that our national incarceration rate of 707 adults per every 100,000 residents is the highest in the world, by a huge margin.

That's what happens when you make incarceration a business. You want your business to grow. If you're good at it, it does.

Much of the discussion of regional prison population only centers around inmates in our 1,800 state and federal correctional facilities. But at any given time, hundreds of thousands more individuals are locked up in the nation's 3,200 local and county jails.

To put these figures in context, we have slightly more jails and prisons in the U.S. -- 5,000 plus -- than we do degree-granting colleges and universities. In many parts of America, particularly the South, there are more people living in prisons than on college campuses.

College is a business (scam) too, keep in mind (so it isn't like the comparison disturbs me all that much), but this certainly does speak volumes about the scale of political and corporate tyranny that already exists in this country, no NWO necessary.

It isn't like we have too many criminals. We just have too many damn laws and a jackboot government enforcing them all. So much so that we'll soon have more convicts than graduates.

Congratulations, America.

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 10:44 PM
link   
We also have more abused animal shelters than battered women centers.

Murica

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 10:44 PM
link   
I think I may have learned more in 3 months in county jail than I did in two years of college.
I ditched college early because I was not learning anything I couldn't teach myself for free in a fraction of the time.

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 10:46 PM
link   
Congratulations America indeed!

I nominate this country for the most Hypocritical Nation in the world!!

Safe to say we win by a landslide!!

Lol

Land of the free, oh the irony!
edit on America/ChicagoWednesdayAmerica/Chicago01America/Chicago131pmWednesday10 by elementalgrove because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 10:49 PM
link   
If they would properly punish offenders when they are young, they might not wind up in prison later on. People lawyer up and the kids don't have to sit in jail as long as they have money to pay for things. Often these kids go on to doing bigger things wrong and some eventually wind up in prison..

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 10:57 PM
link   
This is so disingenuous. Some jails have like one cell. Even small colleges have thousands upon thousands of students. It isn't necessary or feasible to have colleges that have a student population under 50, but it makes a lot of sense for individual cities and counties to have a place to house prisoners. Even if they are only used as drunk tanks.

College is a business (scam) too

The rally cry of people who haven't been, majored in something stupid, or were too dumb to get anything out of it.

I was wrong, there is an accredited college in AK that has less than 40.

edit on 1420150120151 by Domo1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 11:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse

If they would properly punish offenders when they are young, they might not wind up in prison later on. People lawyer up and the kids don't have to sit in jail as long as they have money to pay for things. Often these kids go on to doing bigger things wrong and some eventually wind up in prison..

No, let's not re-evaluate our cultural values or anything, let's just get 'em while they're little.

Thanks to our prison-industrial social policies, our jails are filled with non-violent people whose only "bigger and better" offense was to smoke TWO joints that night.

Absolutely absurd.

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 11:03 PM
link   
a reply to: NthOther

Completely agree that is absurd. Petty drug offenses are a ridiculous reason to lock people up.

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 11:09 PM
link   
If they're counting every county jail in the country, then these numbers are seriously overcooked. And how many were empty at the time?

Isn't an empty jail cell just a closet with a locked door? It becomes a prison when a person is contained against their will. No prisoner, no prison.

I like being in my bedroom all day sometimes, maybe I am a prisoner.

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 11:13 PM
link   
jails are clearly more profitable than colleges......slave labor is the future of the peasants

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 11:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: eisegesis

If they're counting every county jail in the country, then these numbers are seriously overcooked.

Touche.

We still live in a society where having a jail in every county is more important, more fundamental to the well-functioning of society than having a college there.

I'm talking about priorities, and what they say about our "civilized culture".

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 12:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: eisegesis
If they're counting every county jail in the country, then these numbers are seriously overcooked. And how many were empty at the time?

Isn't an empty jail cell just a closet with a locked door? It becomes a prison when a person is contained against their will. No prisoner, no prison.

I like being in my bedroom all day sometimes, maybe I am a prisoner.

Disingenuous at best try again....obviously never seen the inside of one yet.....be patient kiddo....

edit on 15-1-2015 by stirling because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 12:40 AM
link   

But if having a police station in every county is important, you would certainly except them to have at least one jail cell, right?

Not to mention, the cost of a college or university along with maintenance and that of a jail cell let alone an entire police station is incomparable. But regardless, I still respect and understand your point.

There are times when a person can become so dangerous to themselves or others that there is no better TEMPORARY solution than to lock them up until they cool down. Arrests aren't always needed.

edit on 15-1-2015 by eisegesis because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 05:23 AM
link   
the prison system needs to be reconstructed. Minor drug offenders should never end up behind bars. in extreme cases, mandatory treatment, fine. But not freaking prison. Not even jail. Seriously it's ridiculous. They're not the people who you want to hunt down and stop from hurting others.

It's really sad.

Then again, it seems as though the eugenicists might be somehow behind it all in a sense. We do have reports of forced-sterilization coming from the prison system. It's abhorrent. All in the name of controlling the population and so-forth (imo).

It's all part of the plan. mwahahahahahahahahaaa
edit on 15-1-2015 by rukia because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 06:00 AM
link   
America has more people in jail than China does lol.

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 07:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: Domo1
[..]

College is a business (scam) too

The rally cry of people who haven't been, majored in something stupid, or were too dumb to get anything out of it.
[..]

I went to college for only two years, as it was all I could afford. My whole life my parents told me that I had to go to college, as when they got out of public school they did not, and the people who did were making far more money.

Well, about $20,000 into college, I finally graduated. It took a while, because I couldn't borrow more than $4000 in student loans at a time- my parents had money in the bank (saved for my sister to go to college) so I was not approved to borrow more.
Long story short?

College was a scam.
I have been, I did not major in something stupid (I now have a career in the field), and I got plenty out of it at the time- but nothing they were teaching had been relevant in the field for several years by the time they were teaching it.

All of the qualities you could potentially pick up- self study, learning to learn, time management... these were all things we were forced to learn in the public school system up here- which is admittedly better than most.

If I were having kids and I thought this would would be around in twenty years, I would not tell them they had to go to college.

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 07:42 AM
link   

End the war on drugs and watch this problem evaporate overnight.

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 11:05 AM
link   

This is what happens when we turn our backs on our founding principles (and each other) and demand the force of law make others act as we wish... and especially when profit hungry corporations running our prisons have more clout with our elected reps than we do. Eventually, that force of law will be turned right back on us by the very enforcers we empowered.

Remember this?

"“Any person found in possession of any tools that would facilitate the removal of lug nuts should be detained for questioning,” the directive reads.

Source: NY Post

They could simply put locking lug nuts on each vehicle, but that wouldn't serve the right purpose... Instead, since pretty much every car is equipped with a lug nut wrench, pretty much anyone and everyone associated with a vehicle, both as operator and passenger, is now a suspect. And if they have arms, then they're armed and dangerous too. Nice, eh?

My husband said he has probably half a dozen tools on his work truck that could remove lug nuts... I told him to stay far away from police cars!

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 11:06 AM
link   
One of the things we can do is spread awareness and join the police/military to ignore those illusionary commands disguised as justice and actually help people more instead.
Police and military seek unaware employees, though.

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Greed has no morals. The ethics classes only show how to get over on your fellow man. When the balance tips, people are going to hate it. They can't lock up everyone and if they try it'll blow.

OBEY

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join