It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So What's Going On In Bend, Oregon With All The Explosions?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 07:26 PM
link   
earthquake.usgs.gov...
MAGNITUDE 2.5 EXPLOSION - 8 KM SE OF BEND, OREGON

But there seems to be a black-out on the story:

www.newsradiocentraloregon.com...
ARTICLE "EXPLOSION, FIRE IN BEND'S OLD TOWN" NOT AVAILABLE AT THIS TIME

Curiously, there have been other suspicious in/near Bend, Oregon, a few years ago:

www.youtube.com...
YOUTUBE: JUNE 2, 2010 EXPLOSION IN BEND, OREGON, AT AMMO MANUFACTURER "NOSLER"

koin.com...
(Nov. 2014) EARTHQUAKE SWARM IN NEVADA IS REPORTED AS "NEAR OREGON DESERT"
Why is this Nevada event being reported as "Near Oregon" instead of "In Nevada"?

These may all be unrelated events, but the media's treatment (or removal) of the stories is very curious.

Anyone living in Central or SE Oregon who would like to help clarify these oddities?

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 08:02 PM
link   
a reply to: MKMoniker

Fracking probably.

USGS has yet to indicate THE exact nature of today’s explosion. USGS does tell new that “Making a strong scientific case for a causative link between a particular human activity and a particular sequence ofearthquakes typically involves special studies devoted specifically to the question. Such investigations usually address the process by which the suspected triggering activity might have significantly alteredstresses in the bedrock at the earthquake source, and they commonly address the ways in which the characteristics of the suspected human-triggeredearthquakes differ from the characteristics of naturalearthquakes in the region. “

news.lalate.com... 015-today-explosion-hits-east-of-bend/

edit on 14-1-2015 by FireflyStars because: na

Definitely underreported though....
edit on 14-1-2015 by FireflyStars because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 08:16 PM
link   
a reply to: FireflyStars

Thanks for your post!

Although the quote was hilarious, vague and convoluted at the same time. I paraphrase:

"A causative link between human activity and some 'quakes requires special studies, and must focus on "suspected triggering activity" that may have altered the bedrock, before we can point a finger at any one drilling-for-blood-profit oil company. And, of course, other stressors must be considered too, such as temperature, gravity variants, moon phase, sun spots, what HAARP's doing to the ionisphere, and what the oil company's stock is currently selling for ..."

And Yeah, it sounds like possibly fracking. But why is Oregon taking the heat for the quake-swarm due-to-fracking in Northern Nevada?

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 08:16 PM
link   

Maybe they did an underground nuclear test somewhere out in the desert.

I think that is illegal now isn't it?

*ponder*

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 08:20 PM
link   
I have to agree Its got to be cause of fracking.

All that pressurized fluid breaks apart rock, some have to take more pressure to break up than others. So the more energy required to break apart that rock the bigger the bangs can be.

Well at least that's my understanding of it.
edit on 1/14/2015 by shaneslaughta because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 08:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: MKMoniker

Thanks for your post!

Although the quote was hilarious, vague and convoluted at the same time. I paraphrase:

"A causative link between human activity and some 'quakes requires special studies, and must focus on "suspected triggering activity" that may have altered the bedrock, before we can point a finger at any one drilling-for-blood-profit oil company. And, of course, other stressors must be considered too, such as temperature, gravity variants, moon phase, sun spots, what HAARP's doing to the ionisphere, and what the oil company's stock is currently selling for ..."

And Yeah, it sounds like possibly fracking. But why is Oregon taking the heat for the quake-swarm due-to-fracking in Northern Nevada?

That article is a trainwreck. Lol. All that's out there right now though. I enjoyed your translation.

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 08:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Darkblade71

Yes, they've banned underground nuclear testing in the U.S., and it was stopped in 1992. So I doubt it would have produced a swarm of small quakes. Most likely one medium quake and a few after-shocks per test.

onlinenevada.org...
UNDERGROUND NUCLEAR TESTING AT NTS (NEVADA TEST SITE)

The photo of craters from nuclear testing is worth a look, if nothing else.
edit on 14-1-2015 by MKMoniker because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 08:41 PM
link   
a reply to: shaneslaughta

Thanks for your post.

What's curious however, is that the Drilling Maps I consulted show NO drilling activity in South-Central Oregon OR Northern Nevada:

www.drillingmaps.com...
DRILLING MAPS
A great site, but you have to tinker with the Locate button and then with the zoom tabs.

Fracking for oil is a big deal on the West Coast, especially California with the San Andreas fault. So there may be fracking going on in Oregon and/or Nevada under-the-radar, and that may be the reason for all the secrecy.

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 08:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: shaneslaughta
I have to agree Its got to be cause of fracking.

All that pressurized fluid breaks apart rock, some have to take more pressure to break up than others. So the more energy required to break apart that rock the bigger the bangs can be.

Well at least that's my understanding of it.

Is there any sources that show current/recent fracking in Oregon? I was under the impression there hasn't been any fracking here for quite awhile, and bend is kinda in the middle of the state so it's pretty far away from potential fracking in neighboring states.

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Thanks for your post.

Oregon doesn't have much of an earthquake history:

earthquake.usgs.gov...
OREGON'S SEISMICITY (love that word...)

Not much in N. Nevada either:

earthquake.usgs.gov...
NEVADA'S SEISMICITY

I suppose that lends credence to the fracking issue. Or it may be a tunneling issue.

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 09:14 PM
link   
a reply to: James1982

Thanks for your post. I showed a link to "drilling maps" a few posts ago. But the site only lists "oil drilling", nothing on whether or not fracking is involved.

ballotpedia.org...
FRACKING IN OREGON
This says that fracking has occurred in Oregon in the past, but there is none at present.

Another idea to consider, is that Central Oregon is due west of Yellowstone Park in the NW corner of Wyoming. Perhaps there is an east-west link, since Yellowstone has been enduring 'quake swarms recently too.

www.mapsofworld.com...
MAP OF CONTINENTAL U.S.

Although Wyoming has been quiet recently:

earthquaketrack.com...
EARTHQUAKE TRACK: WYOMING

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 12:24 AM
link   
ATS ate my giant post to make up for that article but let's try this again.

For anyone confused by there being desert in Oregon, much of eastern Oregon, including Bend, is considered 'high desert'.
en.m.wikipedia.org...

This appears to have been caused by explosives used in rock quarrying. From what I can find, it's actually a common occurance.

Here is one confirmed as a quarry blast in 2014 with virtually the same location:
comcat.cr.usgs.gov...

2015: 44.014°N 121.235°W depth=0.0km (0.0mi)
2012: 44.017°N 121.271°W depth=0.0km (0.0mi)

Bend is also very close to "Sisters", a trio of mountains in the Cascade Range that also happen to be volcanoes that have been active since the Pleistocene age. There are hot springs along the side of them buried in the forests which are nice for a winter dip!

The Bend 30- × 60-minute quadrangle has been the locus of volcanism, faulting, and sedimentation for the past 35 mil lion years.

pubs.usgs.gov...

Now bear with me guys because I'm going down a rabbit hole.

Document Publish Date: 6/14/2012
Summary: The proposed action is to grant a ten year right-of-way to the Oregon Military Department (OMD) to conduct demolition training and related military exercises (the Demolition Training) in the Millican cinder pit.

www.blm.gov...

The pit is 27 miles SE of Bend, closer still to where both of these blasts occurred according to the USGS coordinates. It would seem that yet again TPTB are tinkering where they shouldn't. This also means it is (DING DING) 27 miles closer to Nevada.

I lived in and loved Oregon, so this is of great interest to me. When fracking was ruled out, I went for a dig.

Will you forgive me for the hilariously worded article now? Heh.
edit on 15-1-2015 by FireflyStars because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 12:55 AM
link   

Nice detective work.

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 05:05 PM
link   

GREAT post! You are expanding the parameters of this "Oregon mystery," and I applaud all your hard work. (I've reconstructed "lost" posts too. Now I highlight a post when I'm done, and hit CTRL-C to save it. That way I can keep my post until I see if the ATS gremlins devour it or not.)

I wasn't aware that Oregon and Yellowstone may be linked by hotsprings and volcanos. And some people don't know that some old volcanic tubes are open for tourists today:

www.ourplaceworldheritage.com... Lava%20Tubes&siteid=426
JEJU VOLCANIC ISLAND AND LAVA TUBE PHOTOS

And the Nazis' use of the Canary Islands and their lava tubes in the 1940s, offers evidence of military use of these odd tunnels.

www.militaryphotos.net...
CANARY ISLANDS: LARGE SECRET LAVA TUNNELS USED BY NAZIS

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 05:18 PM
link   

its starting to look like maybe the rest of the eggshell is cracking. Crack an egg in a few places and fracturing will cover the entire shell eventually. What happens in texas affects north carolina. what happens in south dakota affect new mexico etc. Is the north american continental plate shattering?

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 05:39 PM
link   
a reply to: th3dudeabides

I don't think it is just the US plate. Mysterious booming and rumbling noises have been heard all over the world, with thousands of reports to local media outlets.

I have a dark theory rolling around in my head that the 'chosen ones' have already prepared their getaway, on the moon, etc or an "Elysium" in space. SpaceX just docked Dragon with the ISS right? All these sounds could be rockets shooting off into space, sending up those deemed worthy one family at a time.

Or they are currently blasting themselves bunkers.

In reality it is probably something far more simple. The Earth is angry after all the drilling and mining and fracking and general abuse. Mucking about with things we don't understand and milking the last bit of fuel.

It could be a combination. The mundane and the fantastic mesh unpleasantly well, here.

(I got over excited and didn't compose that eaten post outside of the browser. My own fault!)

Bonus: Here is a video of the pit. Please note, this is not a military installation but a blast site in the middle of the Ochoco National Forest. There are many videos out there. Watch the whole thing for an idea of the sheer scale and isolation of this location.

m.youtube.com...

The 'cinder pit' in name is not just the cinder cone, but the surrounding area as well.

Another bonus:
A thorough analysis of lava tubes around Bend with great pictures!
intheplaygroundofgiants.com... ear-bend-field-trip-

Curiouser and curiouser... I don't think there's any more info out there, but I'd welcome someone telling me something different. Too bad we dont have eyewitnesses.

But let's speculate.

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 06:12 PM
link   
Is there any possibility/objection of this thread being moved to Fragile Earth? The more I look the more important it seems.

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 01:00 PM
link   

I really wish you wouldn't move this thread to "Fragile Earth". I think something nefarious is going on in Oregon, and burying this thread in an under-the-radar forum will deny it access to potential visitors and posters. But, as usual, the Mods will make the final decision.

Oregon's earthquakes have been quiet for a day or so. But there seems to be several other recent swarms of low-level Oregon quakes, in the NW part of the state:

earthquaketrack.com...
EARTHQUAKE TRACK (UPDATED DAILY): OREGON

This site now offers several maps, based on dates. If you go down to the oldest map, you'll see an "earthquake progression" of multiple small quakes running roughly North to the east of Gresham and Portland.

On the oldest and middle map, you'll see isolated quakes moving North in a line to the west of Salem. And on the most recent map, you can see a line of small quakes running SW/NE thru Eugene. Along with a few quakes running SE/NW thru Bend.

I wish I had a composite of all those maps, because it looks (at least by the most recent, top map) that there are separate quakes progressing toward a meeting point SW of Gresham. This indicates intelligent-coordination to me, either tunneling or ...?

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 01:35 PM
link   
en.wikipedia.org...
GRESHAM, OREGON

Some interesting things to note:

1) According to the "Climate Data" for Gresham, it has a very mild climate, with an average high of 63.8 degrees F, and a yearly low average of only 44.85 degrees F. And according to the monthly data, the temperature practically never dips below 34 degrees, which means the ground seldom (if ever) freezes. No mention of hot springs or volcanic activity that keeps it warmer than the surrounding cities.

(Portland (due west of Gresham) has a climate that can dip into the mid-30s December through February. And Bend, Oregon to the SE, has lows in the 20s up to 30 degrees, from November thru April.)

en.wikipedia.org...
PORTLAND, OREGON
en.wikipedia.org...
BEND, OREGON

2) According to the Census Bureau, Gresham has about 23 square miles of land and .23 square miles of water. That's all that's listed of their geography, although Mount. St. Helens (that exploded in the last century) may be visible to the north in Washington State, as it is in Portland.

3) I didn't recognize any of Gresham's "Notable people". Although Robert S. Lucas is/was a U.S. Coast Guard Rear Admiral, and Ronald A. Marks is/was a former CIA official. (NOTE: I frequently check Notable People when I research cities, since if something hinky IS going on, the career choices of certain "natives" may mean they are "in the loop" on those hinky events - or may have even suggested or initiated them.)

4) Another curiosity, is that Gresham has three Sister Cities around the world: Ebetsu, Japan; Sokcho, S. Korea; and Owerri, Nigeria. (Portland has ten Sister Cities, and Bend has four.) Nothing especially suspicious about Sister Cities, except that it can establish a connection for tourism and trade, for a more frequent back-and-forth pipeline if you are moving something or someone under-the-radar.
edit on 16-1-2015 by MKMoniker because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Remember how I was mentioning possible (ancient) Lava Tubes, as large, hardened underground tunnels, like the Nazis used in/on the Canary Islands during WWII?

ohdgrotto.caves.org...
OREGON HIGH DESERT GROTTO: MAPPING THE "HORSE LAVA TUBE SYSTEM"

en.wikipedia.org...
"HORSE LAVA TUBE SYSTEM"
Located in Deschutes County, Oregon, from the National Forest to the northern flank of Newberry Volcano, then north to near Bend.

And Bend, Oregon is also home to many "high tech" companies:

www.gobend.com...
GO BEND: MANUFACTURING AND TECHNOLOGY DIRECTORY
Page 3 discusses the High Tech AND BioTech companies in Central Oregon.

(NOTE: There may be no connection between these companies, and the Lava Tubes being used for secret experiments. But with the swarm of quakes around Bend, especially, there is both underground-secrecy in a tunnel system carved out long ago, AND nearby Hi Tech companies that may be doing said secret research.)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join