It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oxford University Press bans use of pig, sausage or pork-related words to avoid offending Muslims

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 07:23 PM
link   
Am I the only one here that finds it strange. Can someone at least provide context to why pig is so offensive? i ask genuineoy. I've travelled to India, I get the cow thing, but don't..whatever. Another words, there wouldn't be validity unless there was validity, if even in a hidden meaning or else it wouldn't be so pervasive.
edit on 14-1-2015 by Rosinitiate because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 07:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: kamatty
poor old porky ***

I blocked his face out to avoid offending anyone

But the fact that he is wearing no pants is fine with everyone then?

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 07:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Rosinitiate

The majority of Jews and Muslims would probably agree, it is ludicrous.

Their choice of not eating a certain meat is their choice, banning the mention of the animal or it's products is something else.

Looks like undertones of a hidden hand 'making a statement'.

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 07:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Telos

originally posted by: theabsolutetruth

However the recent banning on 'pig' connotation words seems too extreme and rather illogical. Pigs are animals and they exist, some people eat them, some don't, but they do exist and cannot be airbrushed out of reality.

Is exactly this crazy tolerance that borderlines madness, the one responsible for many unpleasant things done by islamist in Europe. I mean why would an institution ban something that is part of the home culture just to please a small minority part of another culture? We all know very well that this culture would never do the same to accommodate cristians.

All this things and people who come up with this sort of non sense don't understand that are feeding a very dangerous patern. It will come a day that right wing is going to explode all over the Europe. And then we'll have a mess that won't be easy to deal with. So is about time that this retards have to be told that are gone to far. I wish I will never have to see another nazi like mentality storming Europe. Looking at the recent events, that doesn't seam to far fetched.

From what can be interpreted from the publishers they are advising authors to be sensitive to certain cultural values related to certain books aimed at children. I am not sure, but I don't think that including pigs in stories for children destined for countries whose children will be offended by images of pigs would be a good marketing move. I don't see conspiracy, I see marketing/profiling.

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 07:32 PM
link   
Dear Englishmen,
So no more Snorkers for the Andrew and soon no bacon sandwiches. next they'll take your beer, cider and whiskey, you'll have to wear pajama's all day and mutter mumbo jumbo five times a day. So don't say I didn't warn you. Enough is enough there gonna stop bangers and mash, with the onion gravy... bloody savages!

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 07:35 PM
link   

The majority of Jews and Muslims would probably agree, it is ludicrous.

Their choice of not eating a certain meat is their choice, banning the mention of the animal or it's products is something else.

Looks like undertones of a hidden hand 'making a statement'.

Indeed and excellent point But did you know that I left there with two new leather jackets. Strangely enough there was a local Jewler whos daughter I was training that absolutely refused to make me a ring with a particular stone. He didn't want to be responsible for my downfall physically, spirtually or otherwise. Curious.

edit on 14-1-2015 by Rosinitiate because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 07:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Jonjonj

How about being sensitive to the cultural values of the whole instead of the minority.

OUP is English to the core, it's tied to Oxford University which was founded around 1221, when people were hunting wild boar for dinner daily.

Are they inferring that children of the world should be shielded from knowing about the existence of an animal that they probably eat, and if they don't, others do. Is there an age limit to the knowledge of such an animal? IMO there isn't and shouldn't be. Cows aren't banned in OUP childrens literature and there are plenty Indians in Oxford and the rest of the UK.

Censoring the word pig and it's products from any literature is illogical.

Most westerners, me included, wouldn't eat goat/ sheep/camel testicles or eyeballs, a delicacy to certain lands, as they are offensive but wouldn't consider they are banished from literature.
edit on 14-1-2015 by theabsolutetruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 07:44 PM
link   

Where, Oxford?

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 07:48 PM
link   
After googling muslim foods, I am left most disturbed by their ritualistic torture of animals to be eaten.
(Warning! Graphic content!)
www.halalchoices.com.au...
I should sue the oup for limiting my available content to rediculous unscientific savage-esque beliefs

My spaghetti will be extra good tonight. Italian sausage and pork meatballs

Hail FSM!
edit on 14-1-2015 by TopCat1 because: left out more context that related to OP. oops

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 07:49 PM
link   

How about being sensitive to the cultural values of the whole instead of the minority.

OUP is English to the core, it's tied to Oxford University which was founded around 1249, when people were hunting wild boar for dinner daily.

Are they inferring that children of the world should be shielded from knowing about the existence of an animal that they probably eat, and if they don't, others do. Is there an age limit to the knowledge of such an animal? IMO there isn't and shouldn't be. Cows aren't banned in OUP childrens literature and there are plenty Indians in Oxford and the rest of the UK.

It is illogical.

I absolutely agree. It's just that if they want to sell books in countries where they have issues with these animals then instead of Pepa Pig they realise they would be better with Minnie Moo or whatever. It's not a ban on the use of references to pigs is it? From what I can gather it is more related to not including certain animals for certain markets, and possibly changing them.
It's ridiculous, but markets rule,

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 08:02 PM
link   
2015 should be Year of the Bacon.

Everyone should be educated in the quran of bacon.

*For mudhammead sacrifised his wife for the Sins of all humanity. That he greived a long time before replacing her with 2 more wives, One of which. Was growing older by the day. And soon would be 9 years old. Old enough, said the prophet. And so let it be so. That forever 9 is Old enough*

Muslim sensitivity lol. Isn't like Islam a 1200 year old religion? From 700AD.

I still don't understand what muslims are exactly worshipping or why this mudhammed guy is so important.

Was he like, tribal leader that conquered a few villages or something.
edit on 14-1-2015 by AnuTyr because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Most muslim nations print their own literature so it shouldn't be an issue to them.

From it's company HQ's the Middle East market doesn't figure as a major player.

I think they are playing to politics and especially to the UK and European appeasement culture.

It is a national institution and such religious appeasement could be seen as being something of an apologist and it's decision offensive to those of this nation to which the values of freedom of speech is inherent and a natural right.

It is even more profoundly offensive to people of UK origin as Oxford University Press is an institution, tied to one of our greatest Universities, many of it's Colleges are built upon Christian foundations, it sets the standard for academia and poignantly is the publisher of the iconic Oxford English dictionary and from it's inception, before the general population could even read, was printing bibles and Christian prayer books.

If it was a small publisher tending to a specific religious market then it would make marketing sense but given it's market, size and influence, it doesn't.

en.wikipedia.org...

The university became involved in the print trade around 1480, and grew into a major printer of Bibles, prayer books, and scholarly works.[3] Its Press took on the project that became the Oxford English Dictionary in the late 19th century, and expanded to meet the ever-rising costs of the work.

edit on 14-1-2015 by theabsolutetruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 08:08 PM
link   
I hate all the PC bull# (word I cannot say EVEN THOUGH it is advertised on ATS)

However, I see this as simply a marketing ploy. I mean come on, let's be honest, do we REALLY care if Peppa Pig becomes Gary the goat in some far off land. Does it really matter if she is suddenly changed into a black sheep called Sephora? I mean REALLY? It's not like they banned it or anything, they aren't even asking for it to be changed in most countries. Once again, I see no relevance to the real issues in the world here. Perhaps just more fuel for the funeral pyre?

By the way I was born and bred in England.

edit on 14-1-2015 by Jonjonj because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 08:16 PM
link   
a reply to: AnuTyr

My previous avatar was a cup and saucer...made of bacon. There is no finer thing than a five slice bacon sandwich dripping with butter, heartattack? I don't care!!!

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 08:19 PM
link   
wow. that's a crock of #### and no mistake.

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 08:22 PM
link   
Well im reading the Quran but it has so many contradictions.

First off, Non of the named angels really even existed at all. And were entirely made up by Paul ect. Within Christianity itself.

The fact that Islam denounces Jesus, Yet fundamentally relies on creations that were specifically adapted for only Jesus and Christian ( Non relevance to Judeaism)

It's a paradox.

Muhammed claims that the entire Quran was written based on the words of a An angel who, in the whole microcosm of existance, Simply was not arround Was not needed, And did not exist before Jesus was enthroned as the current all god.

I don't understand how muslims can't even accept this simple fact.

Like the first paragraphs or w.e of this whole story is just pure B.S.

You can't rely on a fake angel and call it real, And call the messiah that is attached to that angel Fake, But the Angel is real.... It's balspheme. and totally hilarious. I actually didn't really bother reading much about what the islamists believed cuz i thought it would ironically make absolutely no sense at all.

I guess my curiousity just proves my suspecions even further...
edit on 14-1-2015 by AnuTyr because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 08:51 PM
link   

Its a stupid and pointless corporate policy that will make little difference except maybe in their bottom line.

And a little off topic but just saying...

Contrary to popular belief, pigs are unable to sweat; instead, they wallow in mud to cool down. Their mucky appearance gives pigs an undeserved reputation for slovenliness. In fact, pigs are some of the cleanest animals around, refusing to excrete anywhere near their living or eating areas when given a choice.

www.google.com...=are%20pigs%20the%20cleanest%20animal

And bacon is Yummy !

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 09:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: AnuTyr
2015 should be Year of the Bacon.

Everyone should be educated in the quran of bacon.

*For mudhammead sacrifised his wife for the Sins of all humanity. That he greived a long time before replacing her with 2 more wives, One of which. Was growing older by the day. And soon would be 9 years old. Old enough, said the prophet. And so let it be so. That forever 9 is Old enough*

Muslim sensitivity lol. Isn't like Islam a 1200 year old religion? From 700AD.

I still don't understand what muslims are exactly worshipping or why this mudhammed guy is so important.

Was he like, tribal leader that conquered a few villages or something.

In the Chinese zodiac.
There is such the year of the pig.
So is it expected that the Chinese culture change their tradition?
Are all those born under that sign be deemed offensive?
Lol.. this PC stuff is getting overkilled.

Sad part is...
I just made 2 packs of bacon. That I turned into bacon crumbles to sprinkle over vanilla ice cream with fudge.
Sooo good..

Also... wonder what they plan on doing with the story "Charlotte's Web"?
edit on 14-1-2015 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 09:05 PM
link   
So this is the level of intelligence we can expect from a University Press... absolutely outstanding.

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 09:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jonjonj

From what can be interpreted from the publishers they are advising authors to be sensitive to certain cultural values related to certain books aimed at children. I am not sure, but I don't think that including pigs in stories for children destined for countries whose children will be offended by images of pigs would be a good marketing move. I don't see conspiracy, I see marketing/profiling.

Thank you. Yes, that is my interpretation also.

Way too much unfounded hysteria going on.

I don't see it any different then making sure there are books for "Two Mommies", ethnic directed, or including disabled children.

ALL children need books that are appropriate for them.

edit on 14-1-2015 by Annee because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join