It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oxford University Press bans use of pig, sausage or pork-related words to avoid offending Muslims

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Green Eggs and H**

Dr. Suess shall be censorsed!

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 06:47 PM
link   
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

Well, you know. It's not YOU they're worried about. It's the bad Muslims who probably haven't even threatened them for publishing books with those terrible words in them. I'm sure if you called them, they'd get someone on the phone to bend over backward and assure you that they are aware that not all Muslims are bad.

And I think if that happened, I might very well be offended if I were you.

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 06:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: CharlieSpeirs
Sauerkraut

Sauerkraut is actually a vegetable.

Now, if you place it on a hot dog (where it belongs) then we can start getting offensive.

Mmmmm, sacri-licious.

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 06:51 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I'm actually tempted to contact them and claim I'm offended at their assumptions that I would find it offensive...

That the Pig is still one of Allahs creations & they are insulting my Lords work by writing it out of the pages of history...

Really f# with their heads...

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Pork, Bacon, Sausage, Pepperoni, Pork Chops, Pigs in a Blanket, Kielbasa, Canadian Bacon, Ham, Pulled Pork, Chorizo, Spare Ribs.

Kiss my ass.

This is a bunch of Bologna!
edit on pWed, 14 Jan 2015 18:52:15 -0600201514America/Chicago2015-01-14T18:52:15-06:0031vx1 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 06:52 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

You're absolutely correct Augustus...

I mixed it up with Bratwurst...

Always do that for some reason!!!

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 06:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: Jamie1
I'm going to get a pig and name it Voldemort.

And I am going to rename him Dinner.

That's harsh. I'm offended. I strongly condemn your hate speech.

And don't even think about "breakfast."

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 06:54 PM
link   

a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

You're absolutely correct Augustus...

I mixed it up with Bratwurst...

Always do that for some reason!!!

The two go together well, let's not mention the fact that it's made from cabbage, or that's a whole other sector of society to flee from.
edit on 14-1-2015 by Jonjonj because: (no reason given)

link   
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

I really liked this post!

Thank you!

And you should contact Oxford!
PS: You are now my favorite Muslim.
edit on bu312015-01-14T18:55:14-06:0006America/ChicagoWed, 14 Jan 2015 18:55:14 -06006u15 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

link   
Well it looks like half the laws in the U.S. are now null and void.

The references to **** barrel spending need to be written out.

Congress might have to use *** Latin

I know I know....

onay onay

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 06:55 PM
link   
I purchase art books from Oxford University Press.

A lot of old masters and even modern art contains pigs, are those on the list?

Practically all of these Breugel proverbs could apply to the folly of giving in to such censorship.

www.visual-arts-cork.com...

Bruegel has hidden his proverbs in both buildings and the landscape in ways that are sometimes grotesque, but always highly imaginative. The man on the battlements of the Tower holding his coat in the breeze symbolizes the proverb to 'know where the wind is coming from' and the figure next to him 'shakes feathers out in the window' which means that all his efforts have been in vain. The woman who 'watches the storks' is wasting time, while the man falling 'from an ox onto a donkey' is experiencing business setbacks. The man who 'bites into a pillar' is a hypocrite, while an empty herring refers to the saying 'more than an empty herring', meaning 'more than meets the eye'. A man unable to stretch from one loaf of bread to another, is no good with money. The person who spills his porridge, will never be able to spoon it all back into the bowl. The man who opens his mouth wider than an oven door, is overestimating his abilities. The man in the box on top of a column, the pillory, also represents a little known proverb - he is 'playing on the pillory' meaning attracting attention to himself. In the latrine on the right-hand side of the Tower two men are 'defecating into the same hole' an illusion to inseparable companions. Some of the sayings in the picture are still in use today, including: big fish eat little fish; banging one's head against a brick wall; swimming against the tide; and armed to the teeth.

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Sauerkraut

Sauerkraut is actually a vegetable.

Now, if you place it on a hot dog (where it belongs) then we can start getting offensive.

Mmmmm, sacri-licious.

Unless you put it on a Kosher hot dog like Hebrew National or Shofar.

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Sounds like a lot of 'Porkie pies' to me.
There is a way round it though..in polite Northern Ireland speak at least, just ask for a 'Heng sengwich' and your feet will be kissed.

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 07:00 PM
link   
a reply to: theabsolutetruth

If they ban Pink Floyd I'm leaving the planet altogether.

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 07:00 PM
link   

I find your speech hateful and offensive times infinity.

Now hand over Porkomort.

Consumus Baconus.

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 07:01 PM
link   
PORK.

Stuff it.

I suppose since they're being politically correct they should ban all terms that are offensive to Christians, Jews, Buddhists, Rastafarians, Zoroastrians, Wiccans, and just about any other spiritual designation.

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 07:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
Unless you put it on a Kosher hot dog like Hebrew National or Shofar.

Oooooh. The flavors just explode in your mouth like an angry jihadist running into a kibutz.

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 07:12 PM
link   
Having rechecked the link...it's 404'd...we just get porked or what?

In a statement later, the company said: "OUP’s commitment to its mission of academic and educational excellence is absolute."Our materials are sold in nearly 200 countries, and as such, and without compromising our commitment in any way, we encourage some authors of educational materials respectfully to consider cultural differences and sensitivities."Guidelines for our educational materials differ between geographies and do not cover our academic publishing."Jewish leaders said their religion prohibits pork being eaten - not the mention of the word.

Edited to add a new source

London standard

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 07:15 PM
link   

I find your speech hateful and offensive times infinity.

Now hand over Porkomort.

Consumus Baconus.

It's breakfastus Consumus Baconae..get it right man!
Anyway I've just twigged on, It's them fecking aliens, they are derived from piggies, and don't want us to eat them!

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 07:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: theabsolutetruth

However the recent banning on 'pig' connotation words seems too extreme and rather illogical. Pigs are animals and they exist, some people eat them, some don't, but they do exist and cannot be airbrushed out of reality.

Is exactly this crazy tolerance that borderlines madness, the one responsible for many unpleasant things done by islamist in Europe. I mean why would an institution ban something that is part of the home culture just to please a small minority part of another culture? We all know very well that this culture would never do the same to accommodate cristians.

All this things and people who come up with this sort of non sense don't understand that are feeding a very dangerous patern. It will come a day that right wing is going to explode all over the Europe. And then we'll have a mess that won't be easy to deal with. So is about time that this retards have to be told that are gone to far. I wish I will never have to see another nazi like mentality storming Europe. Looking at the recent events, that doesn't seam to far fetched.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join