It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Judge Rules Against Christian Florist Who Refused to Provide Flowers for Gay Wedding

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 03:49 PM
link   

A judge has ruled that a florist who came under fire after refusing to provide flowers for a gay couple’s wedding can be personally sued and held liable by the Washington state attorney general’s office.

Barronelle Stutzman was first sued by Washington state Attorney General Bob Ferguson in 2013 after her shop, Arlene’s Flowers & Gifts, refused to provide service for a same-sex wedding; she cited her Christian faith as the reason for her decision.

“As attorney general, it is my job to enforce the laws of the state of Washington,” Ferguson said in a statement issued at the beginning of the legal ordeal. “Under the Consumer Protection Act, it is unlawful to discriminate against customers on the basis of sexual orientation.”

Link

First off I am pro-gay marriage and support the rights of all Americans to be happy and live their life in the way they see fit. Now, let me say how much this ruling offends me as an American. I totally disagree with a small business owner being forced to act against their personal beliefs.

I would be furious if I was 'forced' to provide service for anyone, regardless of sexuality. The idea that I can be 'forced' to participate in something for which I have a moral or religious aversion is ludicrous...especially in our supposed 'free' country of the United States.

Everyone should be able to get married, but no one should be 'forced' to participate.

+7 more 
posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Who would've thought, a florist who didn't like gay men.

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 03:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: MotherAnimal
Who would've thought, a florist who didn't like gay men.

She doesn't dislike the men, just their 'sinful' lifestyle.

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 03:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

Im with you on this one.
Every week or so one of these stories come up.

Its social engineering. If its not a pro gay/anti christian story or a pro gay/anti muslim story, then its an anti immigrant/anti muslim/ pro fascism story.
It goes something like this, people are free to be homosexual, and rightly so.
But people are not free to disagree with the whole concept of homosexuality, either through religious indoctrination, or just because they choose to disagree with it. This is what they call "equality". Otherwise known as the "thought police".

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 03:58 PM
link   

the florist isn`t being forced to participate in a gay wedding they are being forced to sell flowers that`s all.
if the florist was in the food service industry would it be ok for them to not serve food to gay people?
what about Christian car salesmen is it ok for them to not sell a car to gay people or to muslims or to anyone who isn`t a Christian?

if the flowers were able to speak and said that they are Christian flowers and they don`t want to participate in a gay wedding then I would say that they shouldn`t be forced to.

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 04:00 PM
link   
I'm sorry, who forced someone to be a florist?

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Maybe it's time to let people try discrimination as a business strategy?

Small enterprises are facing stiff competition from the whales. My guess is that it would go badly. Let's just say they won't be teaching that one in business schools.

As bad as it sounds, I would rather have a try than have more state involvement.

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 04:01 PM
link   
WHAT WOULD JESUS DO? WHAT IF JESUS WAS GAY?
edit on 14-1-2015 by HUMBLEONE because: GAY JESUS?

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 04:02 PM
link   
This is just madness from both sides.

The Christian woman needs to grow up and understand that making a bunch of flowers for gay people does not equate to eternal damnation.

The gay couple should have just picked another florist. Suing and forcing her to provide service might prove your case, but it aint going to make her change her stupid headed attitude.

I'm gay and myself and my partner have been at the receiving end of discriminatory treatment. I just think f#$@ you and go elsewhere with my money. I also make sure to tell all of my friends and colleagues too, whom blacklist that business. Those who treat us well are rewarded with loyal service. Ask the local car dealer - we've purchased 4 brand new cars off him in 3 years because he looked after us so well the first time. And yes, he's straight and married.

To the florist lady; Honey if you don't want the pink dollar, it's your loss. We have lots of them and tend to spend them freely in the absence of children.
edit on 14-1-2015 by markosity1973 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 04:04 PM
link   
The thing is imagine you going into any place of business and them refusing service because you were a different colour.
Doesn't the business have a licence to be one and does that licence say you can not discriminate due to religion race or sexual preference?.
You can bet If it was a Muslim refusing Christians it would be a different tune.

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 04:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: markosity1973

The gay couple should have just picked another florist. Suing and forcing her to provide service might prove your case, but it aint going to make her change her stupid headed attitude.

Attitudes may have to be forced in the beginning, but over time and multiple generations, those attitudes DO change.
We have had experience in this country on this type of thing.

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 04:07 PM
link   

I just think f#$@ you and go elsewhere with my money.

I totally understand your position and I would probably do the same thing. But there are small towns ALL OVER this country that only have one florist or one bakery. I live in such a town. Not everyone can go down the block to the next florist. What should these people do? I ask that question in EVERY one of these threads and have never gotten an answer.

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 04:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: HUMBLEONE

What if the moon was made of cheese?

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 04:10 PM
link   
What you do with a product after you buy it is none of the merchants business and is not a reason for not selling you something.
The florist is way out of line here, basically he is saying that if he doesn`t agree with what you are going to do with the flowers, after you buy them,then he won`t sell them to you.

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 04:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv

Attitudes may have to be forced in the beginning, but over time and multiple generations, those attitudes DO change.
We have had experience in this country on this type of thing.

Trust me, I manage a retail store and I come across horrible customers all the time. When it comes to returns time I am always being forced to return things because people act all stupid instead of admitting they broke it themselves.

99.9% of the time I'll cave in and give them what they want just to shut them up. But it doesn't stop me from thinking they are an a-hole though. It never will.

Sure you can force people into giving service, but it won't make them change their underlying attitude.

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 04:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tardacus

the florist isn`t being forced to participate in a gay wedding they are being forced to sell flowers that`s all.
if the florist was in the food service industry would it be ok for them to not serve food to gay people?
what about Christian car salesmen is it ok for them to not sell a car to gay people or to muslims or to anyone who isn`t a Christian?

if the flowers were able to speak and said that they are Christian flowers and they don`t want to participate in a gay wedding then I would say that they shouldn`t be forced to.

What about a Jewish deli that refused to provide brisket for a Nazi rally or a black person who refused to provide barbecue for a Klan rally?

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 04:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: InverseLookingGlass

As bad as it sounds, I would rather have a try than have more state involvement.

Wow. We actually agree on something.

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 04:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: OneManArmy

originally posted by: HUMBLEONE

What if the moon was made of cheese?

You could make a whole bunch of Martian macaroni and cheese. Do you think Christians would eat it?
edit on 14-1-2015 by HUMBLEONE because: Coffee addict! typo

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 04:16 PM
link   
a reply to: NavyDoc
What an absolute faux pas. Klan rallies are strictly BYO.

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 04:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic

I just think f#$@ you and go elsewhere with my money.

I totally understand your position and I would probably do the same thing. But there are small towns ALL OVER this country that only have one florist or one bakery. I live in such a town. Not everyone can go down the block to the next florist. What should these people do? I ask that question in EVERY one of these threads and have never gotten an answer.

I grew up in a small town in NZ. I lived there with my first ever partner, we got treated like this all the time.

Quite simply, we got in our car and drove to the next town where we did get the service we wanted. Yes, it's an issue and it is largely why so many gay people end up in the cities.

This sort of change is a generational thing though. It's getting easier as the years roll by. In that very same town I grew up and lived in 23 years ago there is now a gay owned and run cafe that proudly flies the rainbow flag. We now have Asians running bakeries (yep, this town was so isolated it was 99% Europeans and Maori folk living there) where before they were all european run.

Change doesn't always come instantly. But things are getting easier for gay folk and we need to be grateful for that. I guess the younger generations coming through haven't seen the changes that I have - my country go from homosexuality being illegal through legalisation, then civil unions and finally marriage. They simply don't realise how far we have come in less than half of my lifetime.

edit on 14-1-2015 by markosity1973 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join