It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

At least 10 killed: Texas prison bus hit by train

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 11:38 AM
link   
At least 10 killed when Texas prison bus hit by train

(Reuters) - A Texas prison bus carrying 15 people veered onto railroad tracks and was hit by a train on Wednesday, prison officials said, with local media reporting at least 10 people were killed.

The bus was traveling from Abilene to El Paso with 12 inmates and three corrections officers aboard when it skidded off a highway, the Texas Department of Criminal Justice said.

The accident took place near the western Texas city of Odessa.

This news is still breaking only came out about 10 minutes ago so I will add more links as they become available, looks like at least 10 dead and 5 reported injured so far.

Additional links.

BBC News
CBS
Mirror
USAToday
Gaurdian

That is the only picture i have found so far of the crash also unsure of who has died at this time or if all prisoners are accounted for.
edit on 14-1-2015 by OtherSideOfTheCoin because: (no reason given)

edit on 14-1-2015 by OtherSideOfTheCoin because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 12:03 PM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

How #ty would it be to be a wife, of one of those inmates only there because he spit on a cop, and having just made parole. Stupid CO west texas is wide open, how you gonna hit a train?

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 12:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: TechniXcality

How #ty would it be to be a wife, of one of those inmates only there because he spit on a cop, and having just made parole. Stupid CO west texas is wide open, how you gonna hit a train?

I kind of doubt any of these guys were in prison for spitting on a cop, nor any of them about to be paroled...unless of course you have some information on them that is not in the other links....

Now, how #ty would it be to be the wife of one of the correctional officers that has to deal with criminals everyday and then loses his life while transporting them?

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Thanks OSOTC. I shot out a quick prayer for everyone on that bus. I'm sure that people will start trying to find out if there were any high profile inmates on that bus and the conspiracy theories will start flying. I couldn't help but think that the people/owners of that prison would be sad, but not for the tragic loss of life, but will shed a tear over the loss of several million dollars that they will lose "housing" the inmates for the state.

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 12:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

Dude you dont know nothin, i was in john middelton because i spit on a cop in amarillo, and i got paroled. Harrassment of a public servant is a felony. Those CO's are idiots, clearly

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Actually the bus wasn't hit by a train. The bus actually landed on the train. It went off of an overpass and landed on the train that was passing underneath. I'm just speculating, but we are cold here today and have drizzle coming down and the radar was showing ice over that area of the interstate around that time. I live about 20 miles from where it happened and that overpass is located on hill that gains several hundred feet in elevation, so icing on the overpass would be a safe bet.

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 12:21 PM
link   

How do you not know there was a mechanical fault with the bus? It left an overpass and fell onto a train below. That to me sounds like a tie rod end or other part may have failed and caused a loss of steering.

Pretty ignorant to say it was their fault.

Edit: I see you were incarcerated, so it seems your too biased.
edit on 1/14/2015 by shaneslaughta because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Dude you dont know nothin, i was in john middelton because i spit on a cop in amarillo, and i got paroled. Harrassment of a public servant is a felony. Those CO's are idiots, clearly

Oh, so I am sure these guys were all just like you....all they did was spit on a cop and were all about to be paroled? Either way, whatever they did to get in prison, if they did not do it then they would likely be alive regardless of a CO's accidental actions(bus slipped on ice).

Those inmates were idiots well before the CO had the accident...hence why they were in prison.

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Look i may be biased and loss of life is never a good thing. I was at that very same unit and people were dieing from heat stroke that summer i spent a very short time there. Enough time to realize not everyone's an idiot who goes there, alot of folks trusted a system that is inherently biased, a cash cow.

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Look i may be biased and loss of life is never a good thing. I was at that very same unit and people were dieing from heat stroke that summer i spent a very short time there. Enough time to realize not everyone's an idiot who goes there, alot of folks trusted a system that is inherently biased, a cash cow.

Not sure I follow....you said you spit on an officer which was a crime, as it should be.....bodily fluid can carry plenty of nasty stuff. How does trusting a system have to do with any of this story? Regardless of what they did, they committed a crime of some sort and were incarcerated. The driver from this story hit a patch of ice, the bus went over the rail of the bridge and landed on a train....how does that make the CO's, in this case, idiots or not trustworthy?

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 12:42 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 12:44 PM
link   

In my case, i could have got this dismissed. Had i hired a lawyer instead of trusting a public pretender. Having just got out of the army, i thought to my self the system is good its not meant to hurt normal people. Seconded the cop in question was talking mad # to a soldier who was drunk furthermore my spit doesn't carry any disease or otherwise. I was handcuffed when it happened and they beat me to the point i was hospitalized. I just wanted away from that city and was willing to sacrifice my time, for that i was a fool and naive. A lot of cases are similar, some even more silly. Im not saying i was right but i certainly shouldn't have been imprisoned. Now like i said, loss of life is never good, my prayers go out. Some of my initial reaction i retract and said out of anger.

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 12:52 PM
link   

In my case, i could have got this dismissed. Had i hired a lawyer instead of trusting a public pretender. Having just got out of the army, i thought to my self the system is good its not meant to hurt normal people. Seconded the cop in question was talking mad # to a soldier who was drunk furthermore my spit doesn't carry any disease or otherwise. I was handcuffed when it happened and they beat me to the point i was hospitalized. I just wanted away from that city and was willing to sacrifice my time, for that i was a fool and naive. A lot of cases are similar, some even more silly. Im not saying i was right but i certainly shouldn't have been imprisoned. Now like i said, loss of life is never good, my prayers go out. Some of my initial reaction i retract and said out of anger.

DUDE you spit on a cop. That's battery in most areas of the us. I'm glad you can make the differentiation that you borked up.

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 12:54 PM
link   
a reply to: shaneslaughta

fair enough im out thanks

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Watching a new report on tv it said the bus hit a patch of ice on the road causing it to slide off-road and down an embankment where it collided with the train that happened to be passing by at the same time.

new topics

top topics

join