It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What do you hold more dear: Truth or Friendship?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 04:10 PM
link   
I follow Korg's logic perfectly. There is truth. There is no "subjective truth." When I meet people who like to tell me that everyone has their own truth, or that truth is subjective, I then ask them if it is logical to conclude then, that if, in a person's subjective reality, he decides not to believe in gravity, will he be able to jump off a skyscraper and not suffer the dire consequences of the laws of gravity, which obviously, since he doesn't believe in them, they shouldn't apply to him? (sorry run on sentence).

As for to answer the question of the OP. Truth is paramount to friendship. I cannot imagine having friendship with liars, or with deceitful people, or people who allow themselves to be deceived. Although, to some degree we all have been effected to a lesser or greater degree by all three. There is a difference in willful ignorance, and deceitful lying, and just not knowing better, but wanting to know. And there are varying degrees of lies, although they are all wrong, some are more hurtful and thus more reprehensible than others.

-----

Now my personal understanding of truth, while it may be rejected by many I would like to share it.

Jesus called himself the truth. That is all the good words of God are fulfilled in his son, Jesus. All prophecy, all revelation, everything.

That is why scripture states in a certain place, "Carefully concealed in him are all the treasures of wisdom and of knowledge." (Colossians 2:3).

And Jesus himself stated about himself truthfully: “I am the way and the truth and the life." (John 14:6). He did not just have truth, he was, he is, the truth. And all truth is found in him, and all lies are found apart from him.

That is why Jesus stated that evil-minded people never believe him. Because of the very fact that he is, and states truth, at all times: "Because I, on the other hand, tell you the truth, you do not believe me." - John 8:45.

Many people enjoy deceit and falsehood. Prophecy states that many in our days would be deceitful and be deceived themselves: "But wicked men and impostors will advance from bad to worse, misleading and being misled." - 2 Timothy 3:13.

The only person acceptable to God himself are those who shun people who hide who they are, and are full of untruth....

"I do not associate with deceitful men,
And I avoid those who hide what they are."
- Psalm 26:4.

The internet allows many people to hide who and what their true intentions are. Mostly for evil ends. A pure person would never even considering associating, much less cultivating friendships with such people.

Interestingly, in the list of things that God himself despises are liars full of untruths and slander:

(Proverbs 6:16-19) . . .There are six things that Jehovah hates; Yes, seven things that he detests: Haughty eyes, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood, A heart plotting wicked schemes, and feet that run quickly to evil, A false witness who lies with every breath, And anyone sowing contentions among brothers.

If you find someone who has truth then you will cultivate true friendship that can last forever. And truth will always triumph over friendship.

True there are many people, whom, like Pilate pessimistically answered Jesus, when he was probing his heart as to whether he was receptive to the truth or not:

Jesus: "Everyone who is on the side of the truth listens to my voice.”  Pilate said to him: “What is truth?” - John 18:37, 38.

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 04:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Korg Trinity

You concede that there is a definite correct answer, and that it is true that with insufficient evidence it is impossible to determine which of three logical arguments is true.

yes you state in your earlier post that "I would argue there is no absolute truth and knowledge, that truth and knowledge are human in origin and practice. Numbers as well. "

Is it correct to any other species of animal?

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 04:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope

You concede that there is a definite correct answer, and that it is true that with insufficient evidence it is impossible to determine which of three logical arguments is true.

yes you state in your earlier post that "I would argue there is no absolute truth and knowledge, that truth and knowledge are human in origin and practice. Numbers as well. "

Is it correct to any other species of animal?

Of course it is.

Dolphins breath air.... That is the truth and they know it!

Bees make Honey..... Instinct but it is the truth.

Starfish have no brains..... they cannot know it but it is the truth.

Etc....

Korg.

edit on 15-1-2015 by Korg Trinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Absolute truth means that something is true in all times and places. In other words, eternal truth. Would your questions be true in 1880? No.

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Absolute truth means that something is true in all times and places. In other words, eternal truth. Would your questions be true in 1880? No.

So Dolphins did not breath Air in 1880?

Bees did not make honey in 1880?

And heavens forbid Starfish had brains in 1880?

Though it is worth mentioning that the truth does not require it to be so through all eternity for it to be true.

Korg.

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Yes your propositions are true when you add context. It's called a domain of discourse in logic.

Did dolphins breathe air 8 billion years ago? No.

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 04:25 PM
link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

This sounds like the retort of a four-year-old, to be honest. Don't mean to bud in. But just had to say it.

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 04:26 PM
link   
a reply to: iNobody

This sounds like the retort of a four-year-old, to be honest. Don't mean to bud in. But just had to say it.

By all means.

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Yes your propositions are true when you add context. It's called a domain of discourse in logic.

Did dolphins breathe air 8 billion years ago? No.

The fact that the sun was not around 8 billion years ago it would be impossible......then one could say with absolute certainty that the truth of that time period is that Dolphins did not exist.

There is still a true statement to be made, even if there was no one around at that time to record it.

Korg.

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 04:35 PM
link   

The fact that the sun was not around then it would be difficult...... but then one could say with absolute certainty that the truth of that time period is that Dolphins did not exist.

There is still a true statement to be made, even if there was no one around that we know of to record it.

Yes I was speaking of universal or absolute truth specifically. In reality, statements and propositions are the only things that are true or false.

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 04:38 PM
link   

The fact that the sun was not around then it would be difficult...... but then one could say with absolute certainty that the truth of that time period is that Dolphins did not exist.

There is still a true statement to be made, even if there was no one around that we know of to record it.

Yes I was speaking of universal or absolute truth specifically. In reality, statements and propositions are the only things that are true or false.

I fear for the world if many others, other than you, think that nothing can be true if it has not existed for all eternity!

Korg.

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 04:45 PM
link   

I fear for the world if many others, other than you, think that nothing can be true if it has not existed for all eternity!

Korg.

I merely stated that absolute truths do not exist. Religions, totalitarians, and ideologues require the notion of absolute truth, as is apparent by or scripture writing friend here.

But I do believe, as I think you do, that rational minds can differentiate between true and false propositions.

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Closed for review.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join