It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

RISE OH YE NATIONS! Repent!

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 06:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: OpinionatedB
a reply to: undo

This is my third day of not having a cigarette - and this day God said tell this all to the people. I am doing my best.

The thread speaks on repentance for the Christian, and for the Christian to show Christ to others rather than bad behavior..

when I say "bad behavior" I mean things like the youtube video of the quack preacher who bragged about punching that kid.. that is BAD behavior, which for some who are calling themselves Christian while steeped in sin somehow translates in their minds to good..

The Church corrects the Church.. Not those who are outside of it.. repentance is for any who want Christ, and is for especially also for those who would call themselves Christian. Hence why, with God's leading, I made the thread.

This thread was for edification of other Christians. I did make that abundantly clear and for that reason, the church edifies the church and supports and encourages one another to good. This is what I was doing in the OP.

I could not have made it any clearer really. And no I am not upset with you.. just wanting a smoke right this second.

I am still unclear why it makes ever single atheist mad that I made a thread to encourage other christians to do good..but apparently anything with God at the center seems to annoy all atheists everywhere..

I look at it like this, there are some actions that are between you and God, like smoking. When you smoke alone and in private, that is between you and God because you are harming only yourself. If you smoke in front of non-believers, they question your testimony and then they can't tell the difference between the spiritual and the natural.

Now, if as a Christian, you smoked in front of a lot of little kids or old ladies then you are harming them. Well, you harm them anyway, even if you aren't a Christian. But if you smoke alone and in private, then that's between you and God.

You are correct that our actions reflect who we are, and the Christian needs to understand this concept. But as far as smoking goes, if you feel it is a sin because it takes away from your testimony and keeps you away from God, then giving up smoking is the best thing to do.

Christians need to understand that fine line to walk, we must walk according to line upon line and precept upon precept. God knows the struggle we have with addictions in our bodies, that's why He helps us with them.

But, as a Christian, you have confessed something and as Christians, we must show you grace because that's what Christians are supposed to be showing. You did nothing wrong in making an open confession, and as Jesus said "Neither do I condemn you, go and sin no more".

You are on your journey now with Christ, as a new Christian you will find many things will challenge you. But as you grow in the Lord you will get stronger and then you will look back one day and find yourself amazed at just how far along you came. Does it bother me knowing that you smoked when God came to you? No, it does not. He came to you when you smoked, that means He knows the future and knows that you will become what you will become.

That's what grace really is "While we were yet sinners, Christ died for us". If God condemns you for smoking, then God will help you through it. You recognize that little imperfection and that is what matters most. From an older Christian, just keep letting God work it out with you.

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 06:29 AM
link   

Just an encouraging word this morning. I was needing some encouragement and this is something God has shown me for a second time, and it is nice so I will share it.

This is not in order, because the bible I have is very old - it was given to me by someone - and it is missing some pages.. so I am just going to write it like I see it here.

Blessed is the man whom God corrects. So do not despise the discipline of the Almighty. For HE wounds, but HE also binds up; he injures, but HIS hands also heals. From 6 calamities HE will rescue you, in 7 no harm will befall you. In famine He will rescue you from death and in battle from the stroke of the sword. You will be protected from the lash of the tongue and need not fear when destruction comes. You will laugh at destruction and famine and need not fear the beasts of the earth for you will have a covenant with the stones of the field and the wild beasts of the earth will be at peace with you. You will know your tent is secure. You will take stock of your property and find nothing missing.

HE has told me twice now this is for me.. my husband and I do find a bit of irony is the last bit, the taking stock of our property, since we really have none, we both found that amusing.. but it does simplify matters!

Anyway, it was an encouragement to me from the Lord this morning so I thought to share it with all of you..

You have an old Bible with pages torn?

When you need a quick link go to Bible Gateway, they have translations in a lot of languages so no matter who you are speaking to, you can give them verses in their language.

One time, I was directed by God to go buy the Reina Valera Bible, it is in Spanish and I do not speak or read Spanish, so it seemed strange, until the next day at work a lady who was from Guatemala needed a ride home and spoke very little English. As she was looking at my dashboard and saw the Bible, she picked it up to read it and started crying because she didn't have a Bible, in the limited Spanish that I could understand.

I told her to have the Bible and she started crying more and kept saying "gracias" over and over and then took the Bible home with her. It meant something to her and God knew she needed it. I listened and did, she was blessed.

But like I said about Bible Gateway, suppose you want to show verses to someone who reads Arabic, here is the verse John 3:16 from the Arabic Bible, Easy To Read version

فَقَدْ أحَبَّ اللهُ العالَمَ كَثِيْراً، حَتَّى إنَّهُ قَدَّمَ ابْنَهُ الوَحِيْدَ، لِكَيْ لا يَهلِكَ كُلُّ مَنْ يُؤْمِنُ بِهِ، بَلْ تَكُونُ لَهُ الحَياةُ الأبَدِيَّةُ.

The folks at Bible Gateway are owned by Zondervan and has compiled as many translations of Bibles in other languages. But if you need a Bible, I will make sure you get one.

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 06:41 AM
link   
That's a very special post, thanks for that. It's amazing what happens when we humble ourselves, die to our will and this world, and become a channel for God's endless mercy.

He puts us in places where He needs us to be, at that moment in time.

Your testimony was beautiful, praise The Lord.

JMJ, AMDG

a reply to: WarminIndy

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 06:43 AM
link   

My smoking being a sin is simply something God told me, HE says I should have nothing to do with idols, and for me the cigarette was my idol, the thing I always run to in times of stress. So that is personal, and I am sure everyone is different, my husband does smoke some and has never once had God tell him to quit either.. but he takes smoking differently than I do, he can walk away much easier, that is simply a difference between us I imagine.

But yeah, all sin is a personal thing and I am not saying smoking in and of itself is evil or something - but I did make the thread as an encouragement to others who may have something they need to give up, but are finding it difficult to do. Some things are more difficult than others, but if I can walk away from cigarettes then others can walk away from their "stuff" that needs walked away from.

My kids used to tease me that I would have emphysema and be on oxygen still sucking on a cigarette.. lol.. if my daughter could see this she would freak out I think! hahaha but she would be so happy I know.

But I do find it an encouragement for all.. and this is what Jesus asks of us, that we give up the things HE asks us to.. and for each of us we know inside if we gave everything up or not, and God just wanted me to share all these things with everyone.

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 06:45 AM
link   
Thanks for that sister Israel, very edifying.

The message i got from your post..."Be not afraid"

Did you know, depending on the translation, "Be Not Afraid" is mentioned 365 times in the bible? I'm thinking God wants us know to, ummm, not be afraid of ANYthing.

a reply to: OpinionatedB

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 06:49 AM
link   

Oh I have the internet and often use bible gateway, its a good site. My husband also has some kind of bible reading program also that has more choices than even bible gateway that he put on the flash drive for me.

I do like to curl up though and be off the computer at times though, and in the morning I will read the actual bible. This is the only one I have, but since I can get on the computer for a fuller version w/o missing pages I figure I am fine. No need to get me anything.. There are more people in this world in greater need than me, and God did give me everything I need so I am content.

That is a beautiful testimony.. really I think that was awesome!
Thank you for sharing.

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 06:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Ignatian

that is really cool! Be not afraid, any day of the year!

I love God.. HE is so awesome!

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 06:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ignatian
That's a very special post, thanks for that. It's amazing what happens when we humble ourselves, die to our will and this world, and become a channel for God's endless mercy.

He puts us in places where He needs us to be, at that moment in time.

Your testimony was beautiful, praise The Lord.

JMJ, AMDG

When I read what Jesus said "Man does not live by bread alone, but by every word which proceeds out of the mouth of God", I understood very well that God is speaking all the time, we just have to listen.

Amazing, God is speaking all the time, not just sometimes, not just to special people, not just at special times, ALL the time.

I think of it like this, constant streaming. Every word which proceeds, at least He knows us enough to know how we would understand, He can speak in our language. Amazing.

One time I had to drive somewhere that would take me over an hour and I was listening to some guy preaching on the radio. The message was so good and beautiful and I was blessed by it. When I finally reached my destination, the preacher had ended and the radio announcer came on to give the radio bumper and to my surprise, I had just listened to an hour of him preaching in Spanish......but God translated it for me and I understood it all.

But here is one that people would not believe but it really happened, one time I had fish and had just cleaned their tank and then sat down and was watching a preacher on TV, and I noticed that a fish had swum to the corner of the fishtank looking in the direction of the TV, the whole time it stayed in that one spot and then when it was over, the fish then rolled over and floated to the top....

My fish died after the preaching was over. But it stayed alive long enough to watch the whole thing. Really and truly that happened. Preach the Gospel to every creature.

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 06:56 AM
link   

My smoking being a sin is simply something God told me, HE says I should have nothing to do with idols, and for me the cigarette was my idol, the thing I always run to in times of stress. So that is personal, and I am sure everyone is different, my husband does smoke some and has never once had God tell him to quit either.. but he takes smoking differently than I do, he can walk away much easier, that is simply a difference between us I imagine.

But yeah, all sin is a personal thing and I am not saying smoking in and of itself is evil or something - but I did make the thread as an encouragement to others who may have something they need to give up, but are finding it difficult to do. Some things are more difficult than others, but if I can walk away from cigarettes then others can walk away from their "stuff" that needs walked away from.

My kids used to tease me that I would have emphysema and be on oxygen still sucking on a cigarette.. lol.. if my daughter could see this she would freak out I think! hahaha but she would be so happy I know.

But I do find it an encouragement for all.. and this is what Jesus asks of us, that we give up the things HE asks us to.. and for each of us we know inside if we gave everything up or not, and God just wanted me to share all these things with everyone.

If it is an idol, then yes, you should give it up. I agree.

You are correct in what you are saying.

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 07:07 AM
link   

Wow...that post brought tears of happiness! Thank you!

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 09:30 AM
link   

Just an encouraging word this morning. I was needing some encouragement and this is something God has shown me for a second time, and it is nice so I will share it.

This is not in order, because the bible I have is very old - it was given to me by someone - and it is missing some pages.. so I am just going to write it like I see it here.

Blessed is the man whom God corrects. So do not despise the discipline of the Almighty. For HE wounds, but HE also binds up; he injures, but HIS hands also heals. From 6 calamities HE will rescue you, in 7 no harm will befall you. In famine He will rescue you from death and in battle from the stroke of the sword. You will be protected from the lash of the tongue and need not fear when destruction comes. You will laugh at destruction and famine and need not fear the beasts of the earth for you will have a covenant with the stones of the field and the wild beasts of the earth will be at peace with you. You will know your tent is secure. You will take stock of your property and find nothing missing.

HE has told me twice now this is for me.. my husband and I do find a bit of irony is the last bit, the taking stock of our property, since we really have none, we both found that amusing.. but it does simplify matters!

Anyway, it was an encouragement to me from the Lord this morning so I thought to share it with all of you..

Spoken by Job's friend Eliphaz in Job Chapter 5. I was working on our Wednesday night Bible lesson yesterday while participating in this thread and the lesson I was putting together was on the Book of Job. Some of the comments I made in my first post on this thread were from the Book of Job.

I find it worthy of marvel how God's Spirit works in tandem among His people. Confirming His Word through two or three witnesses. The other word that He has been repeating through random people and circumstances is, "Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God, and that you are not your own? For you have been bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body." (1 Cor 6:20)

This was the memory verse for our church two weeks ago, and in those two weeks I have heard those verses repeated by random people in random circumstances too many times for it to be a coincidence.

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 11:46 AM
link   
a reply to: WashMoreFeet

That memory verse from Corinthians, God has been practically yelling at me (not literally, but its repeated over and over so clearly) since a few days before Christmas. I am glad I am not alone in that!

It's a funny thing about Job too, because when my daughter was dying she wanted a bible so she could read the book of Job. I believe God gave me peace that making sure she got a bible then, meant that she did actually get saved before she died, I could be wrong, but its a peace to me and God seems to want me to have that peace. I know I was almost like a crazy woman back then calling everyone in the book trying to find a bible for her... lol.. I do hope God has her.
edit on 15-1-2015 by OpinionatedB because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Ah, sister, I return from my sabattical and find you in your usual place...smack in the middle of a stimulating and slightly controversial thread..LOL!

Bravo on the stop smoking! You can do it, I have NO doubt. I haven't had a cigarette in a little over a month now (and I smoked for more than 50 years). Without the help of God the Almighty, I would already be puffing away again.

Wonderful thread, by the way. It's heart warming to see you're still walking your Path. Remember you never walk it alone

Much love, OB.

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 03:38 PM
link   
I'm not certain, but if you were aiming your post at "undo", you should know she is not a he. Just FYI.

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 03:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Klassified
I'm not certain, but if you were aiming your post at "undo", you should know she is not a he. Just FYI.

LOL OK.

I even thought OpinionatedB was also a man. You never can tell online unless they tell you, and then sometimes you still have to not believe some people. But so far, people on ATS seem to be honest in what they are.

I do apologize.

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 04:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: LadyJae

Ah, sister, I return from my sabattical and find you in your usual place...smack in the middle of a stimulating and slightly controversial thread..LOL!

Bravo on the stop smoking! You can do it, I have NO doubt. I haven't had a cigarette in a little over a month now (and I smoked for more than 50 years). Without the help of God the Almighty, I would already be puffing away again.

Wonderful thread, by the way. It's heart warming to see you're still walking your Path. Remember you never walk it alone

Much love, OB.

My love to you! I am so so so happy to see you again! I thought I lost you!
You are in my prayers as always sister!

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 04:21 PM
link   
a reply to: WashMoreFeet

You know something funny, I am an opportunist and whenever I can find a chance to insert some Gospel, I will. When I was asked to be my friend's maid of honor, she is very Jewish, I said yes, I would love to do that. So at her reception, we all had to make speeches and when I got up to make mine, I had to be very clever in what I would say, so as not to offend people. And I loosely said what you just did.

Using just this part

and that you are not your own?
I simply said Our lives are not our own, that you live it with God and with each other That was what I was prompted to say. My very Jewish friend does call me and ask me for prayer, so I told her one time, "You know how I pray" and she replies "I know, but God listens to you". For my friend who rejects hearing the Gospel, she doesn't reject the prayers. There is hope for her. And she married a Catholic man. I have faith that one day she will no longer reject, because God does listen to my prayers.

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 04:43 AM
link   

a reply to: daaskapital

Yet, not one verse of Paul was used in the OP. Just the old testament and some new, none of Paul's teachings at all. And still, people get angry ...

it seems to be the message in general, not Paul people don't appreciate. And that is your right, you don't have to like the message.. the message is only for those who want to hear it.. its not for everyone.

Paul was only brought up in this thread due to an insult made on another member. Frankly, i found the points raised about Paul were interesting.

I also fail to see why you are saying that people do not like the message when it is absolutely clear that some here are stating that they don't like Paul. You can like Jesus' messages while also denouncing Paul and his teachings. Indeed, you will find that some Christians disagree with Paul, just as some disagree with the trinity and other aspects of the religion.

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 08:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: daaskapital

a reply to: daaskapital

Yet, not one verse of Paul was used in the OP. Just the old testament and some new, none of Paul's teachings at all. And still, people get angry ...

it seems to be the message in general, not Paul people don't appreciate. And that is your right, you don't have to like the message.. the message is only for those who want to hear it.. its not for everyone.

Paul was only brought up in this thread due to an insult made on another member. Frankly, i found the points raised about Paul were interesting.

I also fail to see why you are saying that people do not like the message when it is absolutely clear that some here are stating that they don't like Paul. You can like Jesus' messages while also denouncing Paul and his teachings. Indeed, you will find that some Christians disagree with Paul, just as some disagree with the trinity and other aspects of the religion.

Also there are threads dedicated to those different beliefs and the discussion of them.

There are also countless threads that are not intended to discuss St. Paul, yet still do. This person we speak of as being insulted is one of those people who derail threads by carrying the same argument thread to thread making it his sole purpose to find ways of bringing out up.

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 09:15 AM
link   

if you actually read the verses and don't take what anyone else told you into the reading, and pray about the correct interpretation, you may find it is not talking about our spirit bodies in the fall narrative, but about our flesh bodies. that's all i'm gonna say on this because i don't want to further derail the op's thread. if you wish to further discuss it, send me a pm.

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join