It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The UK and guns laws...lets clear a few things up.

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 09:54 AM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

So without wishing to drift too far from the OP would most good citizens agree that it is not legal guns that are the problem but illigal fire arm owners?

And just one more bafflement, I understand maybe needing to overthrow the goverment but some of the weapons you can legally own in america are off the scale, I'm talking about the huge callibre machineguns and suchlike.

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 09:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: joemoe
Handguns are convenient for me to carry, if I could I would rather carry a cop with me but they are usually too heavy.

And ARs are just too annoyingly long...same with cops, too, I guess

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 10:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: nonspecific

So without wishing to drift too far from the OP would most good citizens agree that it is not legal guns that are the problem but illigal fire arm owners?

And just one more bafflement, I understand maybe needing to overthrow the goverment but some of the weapons you can legally own in america are off the scale, I'm talking about the huge callibre machineguns and suchlike.

Criminals will always find a way to get their weapons regardless of any laws. As for "huge callibre machineguns", it is mostly a misconception. The majority of the scary rifles you see in the US are not the same as their military counterparts, they may look the same but most are semiautomatic only. The select fire versions (machine guns) are not illegal, they just require you to jump through many hoops and pay tax for the stamps to obtain them. Obtaining a fully automatic gun is a very expensive and time consuming proposition that most people will not bother with.

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 10:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: nonspecific

Absolutely.

There are laws on the books already that state if you're a felon or have been convicted of violent crimes, you cannot legally own a firearm or have a concealed carry permit. So, use that information as you will, but it's pretty easy to see how the repeat murderers, or wife beaters who end up shooting their spouse, or gang members who commit repeated assaults using firearms, etc., are the ones that are the menace with firearms.

I own firearms and carry one to protect myself and families from people like this. Yes, there are a major minority of instances where a person legally carrying a concealed firearm may loose it and illegally brandish it or, worst-case scenario, use it against somebody during an unwarranted time (like road rage, or a heated argument), but that is an extremely rare occurance--so much so that they are considered statistical anomalies and are not generally included in the equation or discussion.

Honestly, most gun owners do not consider overthrowing of the government as a main reason to own firearms, but that's besides the point.

As for machine guns and the like (which are very rare and owned by very few people), .50 caliber machine guns are quite common in the military, so if the ability to overthrow the government was a valid concern, one must be relatively armed similarly to what the military has. Private citizens can own cannons and grenade launchers, too, along with machine guns.

In order to purchase and own these weapons, one needs (at the very least) what is called a Class III license, and it seems like the only ones I know of that have these licenses are firearms dealers (gun shops) or, often times, tactical firearms instructors and schools.

Here is the process as best as I can tell, as I've never looked into it beyond this search: How to: Class III Firearms License.

Hope that helps.

ETA: Of course, in my opinion, if it ever came down to an armed government overthrow by the citizens of the country, all laws concerning firearms would be null and void in the minds of the revolutionaries, as I'm sure they would, at that point, not consider themselves to fall under the laws of the government anymore (and by extension, the states).
edit on 14-1-2015 by SlapMonkey because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 10:13 AM
link   
a reply to: joemoe

much more succinct answer than mine

I'm a wordy sonofab*tch.

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 10:44 AM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

Nope. I live near a gun shop.

link   

link   

link   

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 11:02 AM
link   
a reply to: neformore

Ooooo a 4er not beaten the niner I saw the other day

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 11:04 AM
link   
One odd thing though this morning when I checked the site he had a Taurus .44 handgun for sale plus a .357 handgun for sale and when I checked an hour later they were gone from the site.
It said it took him two years to get both...
Gonna check in tmr and see him and ask.

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 11:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: neformore

I see.
They should decrease their inventory of the 7mm Magnum rifles and start carrying more 44 Magnum handguns. There is a run on them over boymonkey's way.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join