It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Greenland’s “Dark Snow” Is Coming to America

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 08:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: pikestaff

originally posted by: stirling
Can this be tied to vulcanism in Iceland?
not sure of the prevailing winds but think icelands recent eruptions....

Not just Iceland, all around the world volcanoes are erupting, those particulates have to settle somewhere.

Volcanic winter has already begun...hence, the extreme cold! It's also why there is such violent weather systems all over the place...because it's warmer than usual on one side of the front and colder than usual on the other. When they collide, it makes for one hell of a show.

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 08:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mianeye
a reply to: Thatthing

It's a future money issue to prepare the infrastructure, it's not about saving the planet.

Here is an example from my country.

The insurance companies have come out saying that people in high risk flooding areas will not be covered anymore, as flooding is happening to often compared to ten or twenty years ago.

Those high risk areas are expanding which means that people who never experienced floodings are now flooded but not covered by insurance as they now live in a high risk area.

When the insurance companies are complaining, you know something ain't right.

The infrastructure cannot cope with the amount of rain we get now a days, not because it's old or non functioning, but because it's not build to that amount of water, as it was not expected when build.

If it continue or get worse the whole system needs to be rebuild...... thats a money issue.

Yeah well... Here's one from my country. We are flooding more where I live, that much is the same. When there is a cold snap and then a thaw the river starts moving again and we get ice jams that back it up. Back in the day (like five friggin years ago) they would blow those ice jams with explosives so that lives and property were not at risk. Now they don't because the environmentalists threw a wall-eyed fit.

Now that local coal mine (owned by Halliburton) does more to endanger fish stocks and wild life by polluting that river but instead these environmentalists shoot for a whatever short-term-ill-thought-out-feel-good solution is available and now I have to evacuate nearly every year to save what certainly amounts to about two dozen fish... If that... Environmentalism is more about the feel-goods than any actual positive impact for the environment and they are thoroughly screwing me in more ways than one with their self-righteous B.S.

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 01:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: superman2012
I remember reading about this when the "greenhouse effect" was first being talked about. The holes in the ozone, black particles in the snow absorbing the heat, etc, etc. Not saying it isn't bad, but, back then, they made it seem like the world was going to end before 2000.

Most everything which was discussed by actual reputable scientists in the field is coming true. They didn't say the world was going to end in 2000, but they did say that action must be taken soon to avoid major future problems. Action was not taken. Future is looking worse.

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 01:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lompyt
I saw a programe on bbc, it was called bang goes the theory. And they showed how much pollution was caused by deisel dust, the crap thats kicked out of the exhaust and makes ur noce white car black. They said it is linked to lung problems and some cancers as well, could be link to this??

Probably not. That stuff stays low in the atmosphere typically. The most likely major source is major global coal burning and that's mostly China & some in india.

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 08:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: mbkennel
Probably not. That stuff stays low in the atmosphere typically. The most likely major source is major global coal burning and that's mostly China & some in india.
Don't forget soil, which also could be partly caused by human disturbances, making dirt roads and fields sources of airborne soil, where there was previously growth holding the soil in place better.

onlinelibrary.wiley.com...

The chemical and optical data were input to a Positive Matrix Factorization analysis of the sources of particulate light absorption. These were soil, biomass/biofuel burning, and fossil fuel pollution. Comparable analyses have been conducted for the Arctic and North China, providing a broad, internally consistent data set. As in North China, soil is a significant contributor to snow particulate light absorption in the Great Plains.
The great plains had some of the darkest snow they measured, and they specifically mention soil as a significant contributor.
edit on 15-1-2015 by Arbitrageur because: clarification

top topics

<< 1   >>

join