It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Metal Thread For Metal Heads

page: 15
<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2015 @ 05:48 PM
link   
a reply to: CagliostroTheGreat

Those were good. That 2nd one, the music has a Maiden feel to it too. The singer kind of sounds like Ronnie James Dio. Ok, one more old school Testament. ~$heopleNation

posted on Feb, 10 2015 @ 06:29 PM
link   

"Read between the lies" ~$heopleNation

posted on Feb, 10 2015 @ 06:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: SheopleNation
Here is one of my favorite songs by Testament from back in the day. The solo is insane. Alex Skolnick was so underrated. ~$heopleNation

I love Skolnick's playing. One of the best out there in my opinion. I liked some of the odd twists and turns Testament took in the 90's stylistically like Low and The Gathering but Skolnick was the missing ingredient through that whole period. As a bass player though i kimda dug the stuff the did with Steve DiGiorgio on bass and the Death Albums he played on were probably my favorite ones by them as well. Did you ever get into any of his jazz work with Alex Skolnick Trio? Its pretty amazing stuff.
edit on 10-2-2015 by peter vlar because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2015 @ 06:40 PM
link   
Since i had to ruin a perfectly good post about the virtuosity of Alex Skolnick by bringing up Death, heres a little Ditty by Death off of Individual Thought Patterns, i give you The Philosopher...

And heres another really nice bit of fretless work during the intro of Lack of Comprehension

posted on Feb, 10 2015 @ 06:52 PM
link   
a reply to: peter vlar

I agree. I think Skolnick, just as with Kirk Hammet from Metallica, was so good because they both took guitar lessons from Joe Satriani at a young age. Their solos are some of the best, and I believe it's because of Joe's style.

Thrash, Metal, whatever one wishes to call it, it's all heavy metal. Skolnick in my opinion is one of the best guitarists ever. ~$heopleNation

posted on Feb, 10 2015 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Nice, You can definitely hear Alex in those. No you know I heard about his Jazz stuff though, but I never have listened to it. I am sure I would love it. ~$heopleNation

posted on Feb, 10 2015 @ 10:16 PM
link   
a reply to: SheopleNation

Here are a couple of cool tracks to ease you in...
Alex Skolnick Trio and their take on War Pigs

Their rendition of fade to black

A little Rush with Tom Sawyer

And I'll stop the torment with some Maiden- The Trooper

They do a ton of covers and reconfigure them into some pretty innovative jazz jams. Look around, he's collaborated with a ton of people in all sorts of genres and styles. It's definitely not for everybody but as a fan of music in general I think that it totally shows Satriani's influence and just pure love and hit of music. He was really good during his first run with the band but now, there's no touching what he's playing now. He just keeps getting better and the effect his writing and perspective have on how Testament sounds and plays today is what makes them a band that is is as ferocious and tight as they are live and in the studio. Dark Roots of the Earth is the best album put out by any of the big thrash bands from those formative years in a really long time. It blows away anything Metallica,Megadeth or Slayer have put out in decades in the case of one or more of the aforementioned bands. The only thing close was the newest Anthrax. I was stoked to see Joey back singing again. Such a nice dude. My drummer who I've played with in various projects for 16
Of the last 20 years, played in Joey's band briefly back in '96 so I got to sit in on a couple of Belladonna practices at Joeys house outside of Syracuse. It was pretty bizarre and Twilight Zonesque to have been such a huge Anthrax fan growing up and then I'm sitting in his basement watching him sing Anthrax songs from a few feet away with my drummer backing him. It was absolutely bizarre and fanboy awesomeness all rolled in to one so I was pretty excited to hear him with the band again and they're sounding better than they have since the first couple of Bush era albums. And there I go with another meandering segue to nowhere. Give it a shot , I think you'll be pleasantly pleased with what you hear.

posted on Feb, 10 2015 @ 10:22 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 11 2015 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Those are all pretty amazing bro, I really liked the Fade to black cover. The beginning of The Trooper was insane. That is nice that you met Joey, I was a big Anthrax fan when I was younger. That dude has a great voice.

Well, because you mentioned them, here are two I like a lot. Medusa doesn't sound as good because Spreading the disease was not produced as well as Among The Living, but it's such a great song it makes up for it. Brings back a lot of memories. ~$heopleNation

edit on 11-2-2015 by SheopleNation because: TypO

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Always loved this old school Metallica song. It was first released by Metallica on the EP Garage Days Re-Revisited in 1987 I believe it was, then re-released on Garage Inc in 1998. Hetfield screams "Burton lives" twice in the song. It was released after Cliff Burton's death. ~$heopleNation

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 02:41 PM
link   
OK since everyone's a thrasher

All Pigs Must Die

Not the biggest cof fan but they did a good job here

Am I the only one around here thats into crust and dbeat?!

Wolfbrigade

Iskra

And some 'death n roll'

Kvelertak

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Deathcore instrumental by Shadow of the Colossus

posted on Feb, 14 2015 @ 01:49 PM
link   
A couple of Novembers Doom videos to add to the list followed by a pic I took of them live about 7 years ago in Chicago.

edit on 14-2-2015 by opethPA because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 12:25 PM
link   
a reply to: opethPA

I remember their 'the pale haunt departure', I want to say its been since 2007 or 2008 though since I've heard it. Good stuff ... Do you like Daylight Dies or Novembre at all?

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Anup Sastry, the drummer for Jeff Loomis and Sky harbor doing his own thing. He actually uses what he describes as programmed guitar parts. Its progressive djent so you've been warned

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 01:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Ashirah

I had their EP on my laptop before it decided to s##t the bed. I liked it quite a bit.

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Oh look, there he is

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Here I am!

I come bearing bockwurst mit pommes.

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Shadow of the Colussus is awesome.

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Yeah I was wondering what happened to you the other day because I recently read a book with a story in it called Kallisti and as I have been visiting this site for news and reading material for a long time, I know I have seen you use that word before.

Sprechen sie Deutsche?

top topics

<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join