It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Metal Thread For Metal Heads

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 12:28 PM
link   
a reply to: peter vlar

Hell yeah! Left Hand Path was way ahead of its time, too. And I haven't listened to Skinless in quite a long time but I liked Foreshadowing Our Demise. Used to really be into Iniquity, Dismember, Sinister, Pestilence, Impure etc but then again I'm into DM.

Now burnt by the sun I slightly remember but at the time I didn't give them much of a chance because I was more into other stuff but thanks for posting, I like it!

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 12:38 PM
link   
This is for beansidhe, awesome scot punk band but I say this song is more metal than punk

Peppy djent? Lifeforms

This is deemed post black but I don't see it like that at all, to me its melo-death. Harakiri For The Sky

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 12:46 PM
link   
And this song is killer, cool leads

After The Burial

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 04:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Ashirah

Wayhay! Watty! Good way to cheer up a Monday.
I saw the Exploited, but I remember very, very little about that night - it was a good one though.

Don't know if you remeber these guys or not (Al Jourgenson was in Ministry), but I was reminded of them, for reasons I cannot fathom at this minute. Would you count them as metal? Industrial? Who knows, too many 'genres' for my liking! It's loud, it's music - I like.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 08:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ashirah

Of course, your take on it is absolutely not unusual. I'm sure its the opinion of most people that its "garbage". And I get that, really. Honestly, sometimes I wonder how and why I find it so palatable. Again, the best answer I can offer is that it simply fits. At least in the context that I'm talking about. That, and I'm pretty conditioned to it to begin with.

Well I probably should not have called the growling "garbage", cause a lot of people like it. I guess the closest to growling I ever came to liking was The Mighty Mighty Bosstones, or Kreator like I posted before. Actually, I like everything from Johnny Cash to Slayer, as well as Michael Jackson, to the Foo Fighters. I enjoy a lot of music.

Alas, no one has ever accused me of having good taste in music. I think black metal vocals are downright sexy ( lol!) And to most people listening to that is akin to sticking a soldering iron into your ear, or any other orifice for that matter, so what do I know

These days I don't regularly listen to a lot of the hard bands that I did when I was younger. The hardest I listen to is occasionally while cleaning the garage, I will blast some Iron Maiden or Black Sabbath. Sometimes some old Metallica too. Hey? I like your style Ashirah. ~$heopleNation
edit on 2-2-2015 by SheopleNation because: TypO

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 08:04 PM
link   
a reply to: beansidhe

Nice call on the Revolting Cocks! Was it you that mentioned the lack of Scots in heavier music? If so, the album you reference in the above post includes Scottish export Chris Connelly who also sang on Ministry's The Mind is a Terrible Thing to Waste. Just a little trivia for you while I freeze my ass off in a snow storm at the moment haha

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 08:44 PM
link   
Although no Scots were used or injured in the recording of the following song, Chris Connelly was the original singer on this. His vocals were then erased and Ian MacKaye(Minor Threat/Fugazi) became involved and sang on the recording of the songs that eventually became the Pailhead album. I always laugh a little when I listen to this because Ian was a very well known proponent of Straight Edge and Al Jourgenson was anything BUT straight edge. Anyway... the first song is likely more well known because Soulfly did a cover of it a few years back.If I remember correctly, these songs were done in London after the mixinf og Ministry's 'Land of Rape and Honey' Without further adieu...

I Will Refuse-

Don't Stand in Line

Man Should Surrender

No Bunny

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 10:30 PM
link   

First, I'm pretty jealous you've gotten to see the exploited, even if you don't have vibrant memories haha. My SO turned me onto them and the casualties, the dwarves etc not too long ago, maybe 5 years ago. He still has yet to take me to a casualties show, after going on about how fun they are !

Second, you are awesome, just as a person lol Just thought you should know

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 10:43 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 04:50 AM
link   

By Jingo, you're right Peter Vlar!! Good call! He's from Edinburgh, just like the Exploited. Well I never.

Hope your ass stays put for a wee bit longer.

Pour vous:

a reply to: SheopleNation

In case your garage needs cleaning today!

Aaw! Thank you! And you are awesome too, much like this other wonderful lady:

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Now you've totally gone and made my day with the addition of the ever lovely Polly Jean Harvey. I've been trying to talk my band into covering one of her songs for years. They think I'm batS# crazy for it. To Bring You My Love is in heavier rotation at my house than most metal bands are, seconded by Stories from the City, Stories from the Sea. To Say I love her work would be a colossal understatements!

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 03:50 PM
link   

She is one of my favourite ladies in the whole world, with Kim Deal coming a close second. Tell your band that they must obey you, as you have good taste in music, whereas they ...well, they just don't!
And tell them a Pict-obsessed Scottish woman on an anonymous conspiracy website told you that; that should add a bit of credibility to your statement.

Best version of this song, I reckon:

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 06:18 PM
link   
Almost as goofy a name as we butter the bread with butter

I don't think the members even live in the same country. Also, the end of this is a bit strange...

edit on 4-2-2015 by Ashirah because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 09:16 PM
link   

It's not so much that they're against doing a way out of left field cover. We've messed around with everything from old Pink Floyd like Set Your Controls for the Heart of the Sun to the Cure's Fascination Street. It's more that we've got a ton of our own material that never gets played so my guitar player would rather work on the dozens of completed or partially completed songs in our repertoire than take time away from that to work on covers. It's really more of a lack of time between everyone's schedules giving us limited time to jam which ends up being 1 day/week for 2 1/2-3 hours. If you're interested, I can put together a zip file and hook you up with a download link to check out some of our stuff in varying degrees of audio quality. Everything from good sounding rehearsal recordings to actual studio work. But if I had my way, I think we could do a damned proper heavy version of Down by the Water. It was the song that really drew me in and made me want to check out everything else the lovely Ms. Harvey had done up to that point and I've been in love with her and her body of work ever since. Another female fronted Brit act I'm obsessed with is The Cranes. There doesn't seem to be much middle ground with Alison Shaw's vocals...it's either love them or hate them for most people. I'm in the love 'em camp personally. It's always a mind F# when people are riding with me in the car and my ipod is on shuffle and it goes from Godflesh to one of these 2 songs haha

Down by the Water-

Cranes 'Vanishing Point'

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Ah, got you. Aye, there's not enough hours in the day, that's for sure. You should definitely put up a link to your band's music, loads of people here would love to hear it (me included).

I've not heard much of the Cranes, but she has an amazing voice. I remember when Jewel came out, and I loved it but I never really searched out more of their stuff. But I think I will now. She reminds me a wee bit of Liz Frazer, another love-it or hate-it kind of voice. I adore her, I could listen to the Cocteau Twins all day.

I know what you mean though, music in my car can jump from the Meteors, to the Pogues to the Sundays in the space of 10 minutes!

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 10:03 PM
link   
Some blackened crust.

Ancst

The Secret

And THIS song is just excellent!!

Lantlos

edit on 5-2-2015 by Ashirah because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Hello Beansidhe, hope you are well! Whatever happened to CagliostroTheGreat?

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Hello, not so bad thank you! It's nearly Spring, so all is good.

I don't know where he's gone
- I'll try luring him back in....

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 07:10 PM
link   
Metal babies are Metal.

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 07:24 PM
link   
More blackened crust

new topics

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join