It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

School Urges Students to Bring Canned Goods to School...to Attack Intruders

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2015 @ 09:22 PM
link   

It’s part of active shooter response training offered by the ALICE Training Institute, a company founded by a former police officer and former elementary school principal.

School officials have gotten some criticism for sending a letter to parents asking students to bring canned goods to attack would-be intruders.

“We realize at first this may seem odd; however, it is a practice that would catch an intruder off-guard,” the letter reads, according to CNN affiliate WRBL. “The canned food item could stun the intruder or even knock him out until the police arrive. The canned food item will give the students a sense of empowerment to protect themselves and will make them feel secure in case an intruder enters the classroom.”

School officials have gotten some criticism for sending a letter to parents asking students to bring canned goods to attack would-be intruders.

“We realize at first this may seem odd; however, it is a practice that would catch an intruder off-guard,” the letter reads, according to CNN affiliate WRBL. “The canned food item could stun the intruder or even knock him out until the police arrive. The canned food item will give the students a sense of empowerment to protect themselves and will make them feel secure in case an intruder enters the classroom.”

Chambers County School Superintendent Kelli Moore Hodge acknowledges that the middle school didn’t educate people properly before sending the letter home, but she says the cans are a very small part of the training.

Really? This is the best solution they feel to protect our children from active shooters and intruders? If I were to receive a letter from my childs school like this, I would immediately enroll them in a different school. Shop employees are told not to fight back against a robber, but these people are actually encouraging school children to throw cans of beans and fruit cocktail at guys with assault rifles! You want to know my solution to school attacks? Bulletproof doors in ALL rooms, that can be locked from a location such as the office or by a remote fob carried by the Principal or certain staff that also alerts the police as soon as its pushed. This way, someone enters a school, they cannot get into any rooms, and in essence would be trapped in the halls until police arrive. There, a lot better solution than throwing stuff huh?
kdvr.com...
edit on Tue Jan 13 2015 by DontTreadOnMe because: trimmed long quote IMPORTANT: Using Content From Other Websites on ATS

posted on Jan, 13 2015 @ 09:26 PM
link   
I see this working in only one direction: kid throws soup can, gets shot in face......Not pretty
When I was in school the drill was lock all doors, total blackout and like you said, the intruder would be trapped in the halls until law enforcement arrives.

posted on Jan, 13 2015 @ 09:31 PM
link   
I like how the intruder is automatically a "him".

posted on Jan, 13 2015 @ 09:32 PM
link   
LOL I've never heard anything so ridiculous in my entire Life...

Where do they find these Buffoons?

Give a can of Tuna to LEOs and when an black man armed with a toy Gun confronts them they can hurl the can at them to save the day!

Idiots!

posted on Jan, 13 2015 @ 09:34 PM
link   
a reply to: thesmokingman

Oh this is just priceless ! the whole school will be suspended for bringing a weapon to school. What if the canned good they bring is not on the approved new lunch menu rules list ? Surely this is some sort of off color ploy to get kids to bring a can good for donation to a local food bank...I mean REALLY ?

Throwing a can of fruit cocktail or canned fruitcake is bound to make anyone run away however...maybe we should try this variant instead of tomatoes at the idiot who came up with this plan. I am leaning toward some sort of prank at this point.

edit on 1/13/2015 by DJMSN because: addition

www.cnn.com...

Sadly it appears to be someones "real" idea. A former policeman and school principal is in charge of this company that goes around training teachers and others and most likely is earning millions to do it...oh boy
edit on 1/13/2015 by DJMSN because: add link

edit on 1/13/2015 by DJMSN because: (no reason given)

See your link now...I need my glasses
edit on 1/13/2015 by DJMSN because: addition

posted on Jan, 13 2015 @ 09:34 PM
link   

it is a practice that would catch an intruder off-guard

Well now that they tell everybody, it won't be a surprise anymore will it.

posted on Jan, 13 2015 @ 09:40 PM
link   
So wait... they are encouraging kids to bring weapons to school, but no doubt have a zero tolerance policy.

This is one of the dumbest ideas I've seen.

posted on Jan, 13 2015 @ 09:41 PM
link   
a reply to: thesmokingman

Wow...

I assume this would then classify a "can of food" a weapon so that they can then prosecute the children with felony charges when one of these "angels" throw a can at another kid? I think there will be more student on student incidents than there will ever be kids throwing cans at an armed attacker.

If you are telling children to bring something to school to use as a weapon, why not just bring baseball bats and wrist rockets (like we used to bring to school back in the 80's all the time but not as weapons).

Hell, issue out those heavy plastic floor hockey sticks.... we used to whack the hell out of each other with those in Gym class... LOL.

Hell JROTC used to use single shot .22's. You can have a grade school "rapid reaction team".

This has gotten ridiculous. Your kids or more likely to be killed by tripping on the steps than being shot by an armed gunman in school.
edit on 13-1-2015 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2015 @ 09:42 PM
link   
Why not stones, they are free ?

They could even place open containers with fistsize stones in classrooms and hallways ready to pick up, i mean if you really have to come up with an idea like that.

posted on Jan, 13 2015 @ 09:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: FlyingFox
I like how the intruder is automatically a "him".

I thought about that while writing this, but could not think of one single female mass school shooter. Do you know of any?

link   
Ensuring student safety by putting them on the line? I can't see this helping anyone.

And I'm surprised cans aren't considered weapons in schools.

link   

originally posted by: Mianeye
Why not stones, they are free ?

They could even place open containers with fistsize stones in classrooms and hallways ready to pick up, i mean if you really have to come up with an idea like that.

And they could just donate the food to people that can use it for what is was made for! Everybody wins!

posted on Jan, 13 2015 @ 09:53 PM
link   
If they're really serious about full on protection & preventative measures why not just have a Permit & a Shotgun rack for each class?

posted on Jan, 13 2015 @ 10:02 PM
link   
An aluminum can ripped in half makes for a good pair of slashers.
Not an ideal weapon, but sometimes you have to do with what you have in a pinch.
That being said, this is the stupidest thing I have heard today.

posted on Jan, 13 2015 @ 10:04 PM
link   
That can of SPAM is more deadly in your belly than in your hand.

posted on Jan, 13 2015 @ 10:22 PM
link   
Their solution is... a food fight?

Who's in charge, the adults or the kids?

Yet another example of how state schools are intentionally turning kids into helpless retards. Throw Spaghetti-O's at the guy. Give the kids a false sense of security that will make their resultant deaths less psychologically damaging for them.

Unless...

posted on Jan, 13 2015 @ 10:32 PM
link   
i think you're underestiming 30 kids holding what would feel like a solid brick of metal smashing into their would be intruder.

And if it became a drill. i'd imagine they would get pretty good at it xD.

posted on Jan, 13 2015 @ 10:38 PM
link   
I don't know what's scarier. The fact that this "idea" (I use that term loosely) was thought up by a former LEO or the fact that I'm sure some parents will think this is a viable deterrent.

edit on -06:002015Tue, 13 Jan 2015 22:39:50 -060031America/Chicago000000Tue, 13 Jan 2015 22:39:50 -0600TueAmerica/ChicagoJan by PorteurDeMort because: Bad link?

posted on Jan, 13 2015 @ 10:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: AnuTyr
i think you're underestiming 30 kids holding what would feel like a solid brick of metal smashing into their would be intruder.

And if it became a drill. i'd imagine they would get pretty good at it xD.

Sounds like something straight out of a Home Alone movie. "Home Alone 4- Home Schooled"

posted on Jan, 13 2015 @ 10:41 PM
link   

top topics

<<   2 >>

join