It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Backs Net Neutrality (was Obama Backs Government-Run Internet)

page: 8
<< 5  6  7   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 04:54 PM
link   

President Obama will travel to Cedar Falls, Iowa, on Wednesday to tout the ability of local governments to provide high-speed Internet to their residents.

And just where does local government get money from ?

TAXES.

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 05:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: roaland
my entire problem with this whole thing is that this president is for it. I do not trust this administration or anything it does and i sure don't want them to get their claws in the internet anymore then what they already do. The internet is one of the few places one can search for info and have an honest debate. I sure as hell don't want the govt to dig their nails any deeper then it already is. I do not trust this govt period, republican or democrat, that is my biggest problem with this whole thing.

They have City WiFi in Minneapolis, and it's awesome, and a 10th of the cost of the closest competitor.

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 08:32 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

And the citizens of said government are all for this, I guess I just don't see the problem here. Not every tax, regulation, or government plan is evil, believe it or not some things the government does are actually for our benefit. The more local the government, the more control the people have over it. There's no reason for the state to stick it's nose into a city matter, just like I know you wish the Feds would stay out of state's rights, right?

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 11:09 PM
link   
a reply to: TheArrow
TheArrow I am confused. You said it only costs $150/yr (12.50/mo) for city wifi but I can't find that information? The city of minneapolis contracted a private company USI wireless to provide the city wide wifi service www.ci.minneapolis.mn.us... pricing redirects you to www.usiwireless.com...

USI wireless shows city of minneapolis wifi Internet service runs $19.95/mo ($179.40year) for 1Mbps, $29.99 for 3Mbps, $35.95 for 6Mbps. In my area has ATT and Comcast both offer 3Mbps for $20/mo.

Looking up comcast prices for St.Paul (I used zipcode 55106?) it shows 3Mbps for $19.99/mo, $39.99 for 25Mbps, $49.99 for 50Mbps and $89.99 for 105Mbps.

Seems to me you can get comcast 25Mbps vs 6Mbps city wifi for about the same price $40/mo.

Correct me if I am wrong.

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 11:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: infolurker
The post office runs BILLIONS in deficits annually and has to be bailed out every few years.

www.huffingtonpost.com...
www.forbes.com...

Just google post office deficit. It is insane how much in the red they are.

If you're going to point out that the Post Office is in debt you should also point out the reason why. A Republican congress at the request (lobbying) of FedEx and UPS passed legislation that made the Post Office fund all retirements for all of their employees up to 75 years in the future, and they were then given a relatively short time period to do it in (10 years I believe). Meanwhile, FedEx and UPS were exempt from this same legislation.

The problem with the Post Office was invented by congress and is an example of a corporation using government lawmakers to attack their competition and attempt to drive them out of business.

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 12:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: neo96
And just where does local government get money from ?

And how do people learn truth and get smarter on the issues?

RESEARCH.

TAXES.

As I've said before, at lest 7-8 times by now: Verizon FIOS is classified under the common carrier provision of the Telecommunications act. There are no taxes on Verizon FIOS broadband or TV service as a result.

Why? Simple. Research.

The fees -- or taxes -- under common carrier service in the Telecommunications act are to establish a federal fund for the maintenance of the massive cross-continental network of copper telephone wires.

Broadband isn't serviced across those wires. No taxes/fees.

Truth and accuracy -- it's a good thing.

Lies and deception -- definitely a bad thing.

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 07:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: eelogic
a reply to: TheArrow
TheArrow I am confused. You said it only costs $150/yr (12.50/mo) for city wifi but I can't find that information? The city of minneapolis contracted a private company USI wireless to provide the city wide wifi service www.ci.minneapolis.mn.us... pricing redirects you to www.usiwireless.com...

USI wireless shows city of minneapolis wifi Internet service runs $19.95/mo ($179.40year) for 1Mbps, $29.99 for 3Mbps, $35.95 for 6Mbps. In my area has ATT and Comcast both offer 3Mbps for $20/mo.

Looking up comcast prices for St.Paul (I used zipcode 55106?) it shows 3Mbps for $19.99/mo, $39.99 for 25Mbps, $49.99 for 50Mbps and $89.99 for 105Mbps.

Seems to me you can get comcast 25Mbps vs 6Mbps city wifi for about the same price $40/mo.

Correct me if I am wrong.

The Comcast prices represent introductory rates that skyrocket to $95 dollars a month if not bundled with other services. Read the fine print.

And you are correct about City WiFi, the price does seem to have gone up 20 bucks since I lived there two years ago.

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 02:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
Obama is pushing a government run internet according to this story.

Something about striking down State laws in favor of local laws that govern internet policies?

Not sure what's going on with this.

Something about "Affordable" broadband for everybody.

Well it sounds like you are unsure what any of it means? No offense, but maybe you should understand or even research the topic before starting an OP and making claims?

Just my 2 cents.

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 03:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Indigo5

I'm thankful I can get the help I need.

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 06:50 PM
link   
ana reply to: TheArrow

Sorry but originally I believe USI wireless was supposed to be free right,, by minneapolis local "government" lol.. What happened there?? Come on, USI is a joke for the most part,I used to live in NE minneapolis, 30$ for 1-2/Mbps,, wow at a 10th the cost ,, NOT..,,,,,now I live a couple miles out of Minneapolis but I am pretty much in the 94 loop,, qwest/century link is a joke like USI but better priced,, have had it as cheap as 15/month but for a dismall 1.5mps,, switched to xfinity 35/month for 57/mbps,, I love it..Also once your introductory rate is over, you just have to be on top of it and either restart it or cancel it, and trust me they dont want that..

(sorry just caught you caught that USI rates went up)

A better example of successful government would have been the US roads and infrastructure, although, they too are now falling a part.

The problem with corporations btw is cronyism which when it comes down to it, the problem is the government.. People like to bash corporations but its government that protects them, mainly, from competition, via regulation which wipes out the little guy.

edit on 19-1-2015 by windowsweeper because: (no reason given)

edit on 19-1-2015 by windowsweeper because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 02:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheArrow

originally posted by: infolurker
The Cable companies are there only real competition and they have done at outstanding job of providing higher speeds year after year. In some areas you can get 50 to 100 meg to your home for 50-100 bucks which is insane for that price compared to what you would have paid 10-15 years ago.

This will kill innovation and competition but the two bells have the deepest pockets.

That's so ignorant I almost puked.

The United States averages 32 mps. The same as Bulgaria, who is the 42 most technologically advanced country according to Bloomberg.

www.bloomberg.com...
www.bloomberg.com...

I have 100mg service at my house for $49 a month. I suspect the rural areas may bring the average down. Just about anyone in St. Louis can get this service.

AT&T however, only offers 25mg service (at best if your close to a hub) and it cost more.

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 02:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: buster2010
a reply to: ManBehindTheMask

But again , the private sector does it better.

Not when it comes to the internet. Do you think it's a good idea for a few companies to be able to extort money from their customers on a whim? Just look at what they did to netflix. Providing free internet to the people is a good thing because then people would be able to freely start researching as to what is going on in this country and the world. this would also be a great benefit to the younger generation seeing how they would have access to the net for researching schoolwork. The Obama hate really blinds people to clear thinking.

But a gov run internet could censor what we see and hide things they dont want known.

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 03:18 PM
link   
a reply to: SkepticOverlord

Wow. The personal attacks and myopic assertions posted by you, the owner of this site, are certainly affecting my opinion of things...but not about 'net neutrality.'

Are you trying to torpedo ATS before some newly-formed government internet agency does it for you?

top topics

<< 5  6  7   >>

join