It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama renews push for cybersecurity law

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2015 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Washington (AFP) - President Barack Obama made a renewed push Tuesday for cybersecurity legislation, asking the new Congress to revive an initiative stalled over the past few years

Internet crackdown never letting a 'good' crisis go to waste

There are so many levels of hypocrisy here it's not even GD funny.

From hacking people abroad when they aren't doing it to us, but when government does it ? That's OK!.

The new proposal would allow increased sharing of information on cyber threats from the private sector with protection from liability. The measure also would criminalize the sale of stolen financial data, and would require companies to notify consumers about data breaches.

This does nothing.

Not a DAMN THING at all.

Laws only punish after the fact, and the punish people who don't do jack snip.

Obama, speaking at a White House meeting with congressional leaders, said recent events have heightened the need for tougher cybersecurity legislation.

Yawn.

"With the Sony attack that took place, with the Twitter account that was hacked by Islamist jihadist sympathizers yesterday, it just goes to show much more work we need to do both public and private sector to strengthen our cybersecurity," the president said

Yeah heard this excuse before.

It's how we ended up with the FISA Act of the 70s by Carter. The Omibus Counter Terrorism Act of the 90s by CLinton, and the Patrtiot Act by Bush.

Obama said he had spoken to the Republican leaders of the House and Senate and "I think we agreed that this is an area where we can work hard together, get some legislation done and make sure that we are much more effective in protecting the American people from these kinds of cyberattacks."

So who protects us from you Obama ?

And the NSA ?

'crickets'.

A White House statement said the updated proposal "promotes better cybersecurity information sharing between the private sector and government, and it enhances collaboration and information sharing amongst the private sector."

So Obamas solution is to turn business in to rats.

That's suppose to 'stop' this ?

What a GD joke.

There is no better example of the blind leading the deaf,dumb, and clueless.

This is my opinion. There are many like it but this one is mine.

posted on Jan, 13 2015 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Well, maybe if they break the internet enough all of these hoards of people who don't do jack # with their lives will be forced to look around them and say "hey, when did everything get so messed up"

Nah, they'll just flip on the TV and watch one of the various MSM newsertainment channels instead.

We're boned.

posted on Jan, 13 2015 @ 01:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96

The new proposal would allow increased sharing of information on cyber threats from the private sector with protection from liability. The measure also would criminalize the sale of stolen financial data, and would require companies to notify consumers about data breaches.

Wow..Thanks for reminding us of what blind Obama-hate can do to the mind...

I suppose since Pres. Obama suggested this you are now PRO "the sale of stolen financial data", and against companies notifying consumers of data-breaches!

too funny..
edit on 13-1-2015 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2015 @ 01:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Indigo5

Too funny ?

Yeah all that is ALREADY ILLEGAL.

So make more laws to make something illegal more so.

Thanks for reminding me of blind administration supporters. For supporting the ludicrous.

posted on Jan, 13 2015 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Obama said he had spoken to the Republican leaders of the House and Senate and "I think we agreed that this is an area where we can work hard together, get some legislation done and make sure that we are much more effective in protecting the American people from these kinds of cyberattacks."

Isn't it interesting how Democrats and Republicans can't seem to agree on anything or get anything done...except when it's something that will take away more freedoms?

Oh right...they're protecting us...
edit on 13-1-2015 by DustbowlDebutante because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2015 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Looks like Obama is telling people we need what we already have.

He's getting more desperate and dangerous by the day.

posted on Jan, 13 2015 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Oh look, how on queue....err, I mean convenient....errr, I mean right on time because the POTUS is ON.HIS.GAME.....and doing a GREEEAAT job protecting us.... GOOO Obama!

2 more weeks and we'd all be toast, had it not been for intervention from the divine, dontcha know?

edit on 13-1-2015 by Jakal26 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2015 @ 01:47 PM
link   
This is why I don't want to work for any company with more than about five employees, only on a much, bigger scale...

Put, say, a dozen people in charge of something. Anything. People with lives- families, homes, hobbies, fetishes, etc.
Specifically, well paid people.

Now ask them to agree on any specific thing.

Every decision they make will be a compromise- but the only thing that each one of these people will agree on is "Make more money" or "get more power"- that's it. They want more.
How much is enough? MORE.

So any company run by a committee, evil or not, will act in the best interest of the group to the best of its ability by taking whichever action gets them more.
That action might be:
-Level a rain forest
-Cause extinction of a species of insect
-Destroy a nation
-Run a small competing business out of business
-Turn the general population in to lab rats
etc, etc, etc.

None of us may be as dumb as all of us, but putting money and power in charge of deciding what happens is a sure-fire way to lead to more money and more power. Can't really let morals guide you when they're up for interpretation from one person to another, so let the numbers do the talking.

The group has spoken, Damn the rest of us.

posted on Jan, 13 2015 @ 01:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: DustbowlDebutante

Isn't it interesting how Democrats and Republicans can't seem to agree on anything or get anything done...except when it's something that will take away more freedoms?

Oh right...they're protecting us...

NICE!!!!

Another person who has shown they can shed their cognitive dissonance!

posted on Jan, 13 2015 @ 03:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Indigo5

I suppose since Pres. Obama suggested this you are now PRO "the sale of stolen financial data", and against companies notifying consumers of data-breaches!

too funny..

Wow... Thanks for proving what blind Obama-trust has done to your mind.

And by the way, selling stolen financial data is already illegal. Stealing it first is also illegal.

Call the police and tell them you just sold some stolen financial data and then laugh and say ""hahaha, you can't arrest me because it isn't illegal ""

Be sure to include your address and such..

"Too funny" right back at you.

posted on Jan, 13 2015 @ 05:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: NoCorruptionAllowed

originally posted by: Indigo5

too funny..

Wow... Thanks for proving what blind Obama-trust has done to your mind.

And by the way, selling stolen financial data is already illegal. Stealing it first is also illegal.

Wrong.

Ignorance is the cousin of blind vitriol...aka..knee-jerk, emotion based Obama hate.

Let me see if I can help with one part of that equation...the Obama hate glasses I can't help with..

One simple legal fix could help fight overseas credit card fraud

WASHINGTON — Criminals from around the world buy and sell stolen credit card information with ease in today’s digital age. But if they commit their crime entirely outside the United States, they may be beyond the reach of federal prosecutors.

Authorities say the current statute is too weak because it allows people in other countries to avoid prosecution if they stay outside the United States when buying and selling the data and don’t pass their illicit business through the U.S. The Justice Department is asking Congress to amend the law to make it illegal for an international criminal to possess, buy or sell a stolen credit card issued by a U.S. bank no matter where in the world the transaction occurs.

“It’s a very simple fix, and it makes perfect sense to fix it,” Assistant Attorney General Leslie Caldwell, the Justice Department’s criminal division chief, said in an interview. “This is a huge law enforcement issue when it’s our financial institutions and our citizens’ credit card data that’s being stolen … by overseas people who never set foot in the United States.”

www.pbs.org...

Also see here...

1. 30-Day Notification If Your Data Is Breached

2. Access to Credit Scores Free of Charge, More Often

3. Consumer Privacy Bill of Rights

4. Extra Digital Privacy for Classrooms

abcnews.go.com...

A little knowledge goes a long way..at least for those willing to research and learn...

Now back to the Obama-hate parade...Obama bad ...Credit card theft good!!

posted on Jan, 13 2015 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Too funny ?

Yeah all that is ALREADY ILLEGAL.

No offense, but it is your OP. You should at least mildly understand or research your own OP. See above..

Joe Hacker can take a month vacation in Russia and hack millions in US Credit Card data...sell the data for a pretty penny and return home without prosecution. A Russian Hacker can do the same and visit the USA to spend his criminal earnings immune from prosecution.

Closing this legal loop-hole is bad how? Apart from President Obama calling for it? being able to access your Credit Report for free more than once a year is bad for you how?

Crazy things Obama-hate makes people say...

posted on Jan, 13 2015 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Obama wants to make a new law because they can't seem to enforce the old law.

Miserable Failure.

posted on Jan, 13 2015 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Joe Hacker can take a month vacation in Russia and hack millions in US Credit Card data.

Thanks for proving how ridiculous any more laws would be.

posted on Jan, 13 2015 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Obama doesn't want to stop this financial data stealing crap because no law is going to do it.

Technology is already doing what Obama can't do simply by writing his signature and some "Look mom, I signed another worthless bill into law".

The little chips in cards will soon be put in all cards and that little black strip that the carders, and the stealers and the sellers can so easily clone onto fresh new cards that you can buy on the black market that all these criminals depend on, will be dead and defunct, and then that little problem will be gone anyway.

Obama has never passed any useful thing to help this country in any way, and has looted the treasury and worked and befriended Mafia folks who he is still pals with. All of his transactions have hurt the entire world but helped his field of influence, and all his friends.
Why would he change his ways now? He has hidden motivations for this data stuff, and that is getting the ability to have global influence of government power, a centralizing of the powers of nation states to enforce laws globally.

That is his real play here.

Or did he call you and inform you that is tired of lying about 100 percent of everything he ever said, and now is going to turn over a new leaf?

And you believe him? I bet he still hasn't stopped laughing at you.

posted on Jan, 13 2015 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Everybody knows the government doesn't need permission to do anything. What they need is for the public to accept it as no big deal. Anything bad that could possibly come of this kind of thing has undoubtedly been happening for years. My guess is the internet was built from the ground up to be a great big data sucker just waiting in AI algorithms sophisticated enough to create a customized dossier on every living human being.

Yeah. People can say what they want about how if you're not doing anything wrong you don't have anything to worry about. And that's all well and good until things start to get out of hand and people are being punished for stupid things like having a poor diet, not exercising enough and all sorts of little things we don't even think of as details about our lives that shouldn't be any of their business.

Example - Let's say they eventually accomplish their goal with Obamacare (getting everyone into government run healthcare). Once that's done, how can you argue with them if they tell you you're costing the taxpayers too much money because of your "negligent lifestyle" (whatever that may entail)? You basically can't once they have you at the mercy of the taxpayer collective. Anyone who is doing anything that that gums up the works will inevitably be demonized for causing costs (and/or taxes) to go up, efficiency to go down.

What will be the first instinct of anyone who feels sufficiently "nudged" by having to pay more taxes because his neighbor eats too much unhealthy food? First thing that goes through his head is going to be that guy is the one who should be getting punished. Not him. So if the government were to suggest the guy should be penalized (fined or whatever) for it, he'd probably be all for it.

And so on. Obviously, a person's online activities contain all kinds of useful information for just about anyone who might be up to no good.

posted on Jan, 13 2015 @ 09:34 PM
link   

Joe Hacker can take a month vacation in Russia and hack millions in US Credit Card data.

That just made my day..
Now I can die, and still be happy.

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 10:27 AM
link   

I know hackers, both "white" "black" and "grey" hats, through my work. They are flying around the world on a regular basis, at least the good ones. They make gobs of money, both legally and illegally. Interesting side note...I know many that fly to VA a couple times of year and go dark on Gov. Contracts. It is always obvious because a swath of my business contacts suddenly go "dark" aka become completely unreachable at the same time. They show up at a warehouse full of High Performance PCs, have their phones and other tech confiscated and sleep on cots on premise for a week or two. They cannot discuss what they do, but it is general cyber-warfare and cyber defense. Then they return to their other lives mostly consulting for Corporations around the globe. I have little doubt that some of them play both sides of the fence, "grey hats". I know one 23 year old kid that earned almost 500k last year (legally) between gov contracts and private contracts. I know US Hackers that live in Costa-Rica, Belize etc. and just come home to visit family on Holidays.

That is not even discussing non-US (black-hat) hackers and US laws which prevent us from arresting them when they land on US Soil or US Friendly countries.
edit on 14-1-2015 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

top topics

join