It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Seattle Cop suspended for racial slur

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 12:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Jamie1

You misunderstood what I said...

Thug is USUALLY used to describe African American lawbreakers; the media likes to describe such people not as criminal or delinquent,but as a THUG ie: the recent Mike Brown incident. When I personally think of a thug I don't see color.

Just so you know, everyday words can become offensive when they are set aside only for a group of people or race, and used in a derogatory manner. Herein "Thug" has become our latest culprit of such.
edit on -06:002015131! by Pont52 because: spelling x>

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 12:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: Pont52

Thug is USUALLY used to describe African American lawbreakers; the media likes to describe such people not as criminal or delinquent,but as a THUG ie: the recent Mike Brown incident. When I personally think of a thug I don't see color.

He roughed up the store clerk. He was a bully. That's a thug.

Being black had nothing to do with it.

edit on 15-1-2015 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 01:24 AM
link   
a reply to: Annee

Yeah seriously. I would think most people consider (I suppose alleged) domestic violence perpetrators thugs. Anyone can be a thug, you have to have some REAL sensitive gossamer skin to get offended and read into that.

When I personally think of a thug I don't see color.

Lol, clearly poster doesn't see color when they think the word "thug". Even though they claim right off the bat it's a term generally used to disparage black people. Pffft.

-----

I call people boy if I'm pissed. I completely agree that it's meant to be insulting, but it has nothing to do with race for me and many others. It's like calling someone son. "Listen son, you need to calm down."

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 03:30 AM
link   
a reply to: Pont52

If, for reasons I don't believe anyone of clear mind can explain, the hiphop culture had not embraced the word "thug" some years back, we'd not be having the discussion. Note that the word "thug" would still be used by people to describe "thugs" and the use of thug in those cases would be 100% accurate and have zero racist connotations. This "that is our word for us" horseflop needs to stop. This persecution complex in which any descriptive used to discuss criminal behavior by a minority immediately becomes racist needs to stop. The cycle of violence and subculture which has adopted the persona of the tough thug banger needs to stop.

Until that stops, all I hear is "excuse, excuse, excuse, are you distracted enough so I can waltz away from my charges here now? excuse" most of the times racism is hollered about involving commission of a crime, apprehension of a suspect, or even many of these police self defense cases. Boy who cried wolf is in full effect. After so many times of being tricked, many people simply stop responding to the calls for help.

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 03:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: Pont52

Just so you know, everyday words can become offensive when they are set aside only for a group of people or race, and used in a derogatory manner. Herein "Thug" has become our latest culprit of such.

I think it's hate speech to unilaterally declare a normal word as offensive, and then accuse those who use that word of being racists. Not cool.

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 10:16 AM
link   

I have gotten through it. I am pointing out to others on here that even if there is a considerable age difference calling someone who is not a boy or a kid one of those names is disrespectful and devaluing them. I know it Is not the hugest insult in the world or the most offensive thing. But its another form of dismissing someone or their ideas.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join