It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Student Leader: 'No Sympathy' for Executed NYPD Officers

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2015 @ 10:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Jamie1

Then that's 1200 people that do not know the difference between slander (which this was not) and libel (which this could be, but I doubt it).

Libel vs. Slander
Libel is the use of false, defamatory claims about someone in written or printed form. Slander likewise denotes false statements that damage a person’s reputation, but it is committed orally or in any other transient form. Both words have complex legal definitions and connotations, which we won’t explore here. Legal complications aside, all you need to remember is that libel is written and slander is spoken. Slander is also often used informally as a synonym of defamation. Both words function as both nouns and verbs.
Source

For the simplest explanation (for college edumacated peeple like her):

Slander = spoken word
Libel = written word

I sadly ask myself, why would I expect a college student to know this these days (while shaking head)? Heck, I learned that in Jr. High School in the 70's. I wonder if he knows the meaning of "Epic Fail"? If not, then perhaps she is doing it wrong?

edit on 1/13/2015 by Krakatoa because: improved reading to the stoooooopid

posted on Jan, 13 2015 @ 11:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Djarums
a reply to: Jamie1

Apparently the academics at Brandeis are in desperate need of some refresher classes.

How exactly was this "student leader" libeled? Perhaps they don't know the definition of libel?

The article published what this "leader" posted publicly on her own social media account. She made a conscious choice in posting it.

Reading comp 101 might help these esteemed students. Followed by a basic law class? Can you fix stupid?

Can you fix stupid?

Yes.

But stupid must want to be fixed.

Why would stupid want fixed if it pays to be stupid?

"LMAO" tweet when two NYPD cops get executed is positively reinforced in her culture. Else, why would that be her first reaction?

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 01:03 AM
link   
She says she doesn't want her comments reposted, maybe she should consider not using a public forum to make them in that case.

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 01:09 AM
link   
There's Hate Speech
And there's hateful speech.
One is an unenforceable concept doomed to failure.
The other is letting you know what a miserable person they are.
Anything short of threats is protected speech.
It's served this country well so far.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join