It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Captain Ordered Off Warship after Mutiny

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2004 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Commander David Axon, Captain of the Gulf frigate HMS Somerset, has been relieved of his duties to as he is investigated for 'brutal management style'. It is alleged that he ridiculed and belittled junior officers and that this was leading to a very serious and dangerous situation, including mutiny.

www.wanadoo.co.uk
The action has been taken while complaints from a junior officer under his command are investigated, a defence ministry spokesman said. Axon faces an "equal opportunities investigation."

"At this point, no decision on the commanding officer's future has been taken. He has been invited to comment on the findings so far. It is not, however, considered appropriate that he remain on the ship at present," the spokesman said.

Newspaper reports, which spoke of a potential mutiny on the ship, said Axon was accused of bullying and intimidation but not physical or sexual abuse.
The Sun quotes a navy source as saying: "There was a dangerous situation brewing on the ship." The paper alleges that Axon ridiculed and belittled junior officers as part of his 'brutal management style'.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I've always believed that commanding officers were naturally very hard on their soldiers and was the considered the norm, albeit also fair, so I guess what this guy was up to must've been pretty bad to result in this.

Or is it possible political correctness is now going too far in the armed forces? I don't know the details of the case but it's something to think about.

[edit on 12-14-2004 by Zion Mainframe]

posted on Dec, 14 2004 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Was there a mutiny? No? Well change your title as it is misleading....

posted on Dec, 14 2004 @ 02:47 PM
link   
It's not my title and I'm afraid I'm not feeling very creative today.

[edit on 14-12-2004 by John Nada]

posted on Dec, 14 2004 @ 04:15 PM
link   
No disrespect intended, but perhaps you should change the misleading title.

posted on Dec, 14 2004 @ 04:26 PM
link   
I'm afraid I can't change it, sorry I guess I wasn't very clear the first time.

Anyway it's not that misleading, the men of the ship revolted, reported the incident and had the commander arrested. It might not be The Mutiny on the Bounty or Crimson Tide but it'll do.

[edit on 14-12-2004 by John Nada]

posted on Dec, 14 2004 @ 04:29 PM
link   
Well life at sea is hard and the Captain of a Ship is God as far as the crew are concerned. He must have been a harsh Captain if he has been removed from his own Ship. Or perhaps its just another example of Political Correctness gone mad?

posted on Dec, 14 2004 @ 05:25 PM
link   
Actually it is, there was no "mutiny" that would require several officers or rateings takeing control of the ship. They didnt they simply reported something to the higher ups and he was recalled back. Was the ship taken by force? no. was the ship taken in any way? NO!

posted on Dec, 14 2004 @ 06:04 PM
link   
The captain of the ship is no mans friend on board- and the captain has broad authority. Sailing, st sea, you are under martial law as a crew member, what the captain says, basically, is the law.
Now, I have seen captains lose their perspective in the midst of all this power and authority. Take for example the Cajun ocean going tug captain, who worked for Otto Candies, a company located just out of New Orleans. He picked up some stow aways in Guyana, and instead of doing what is law, taking them in custody and turning over to INS/ Customs upon arrival (the company is liable for the cost) he gives each stowaway a life jacket, from the vessel, (Adelle Candies, the name of the vessel, plainly writen on each jacket) a gallon of water, and forces them to jump off the barge by discharging flares at them repeatedly. He forced them to jump of the coast of Jaimaica, where there are plenty sharks.How stupid, huh? I was supposed to be on this trip, however ended up relieving this crew when they hit the states. Of course, every federal agency was there for about 2 months, what a mess.
And this case sounds as if the captain kind of lost it, and it happens on board ships. There was no mutiny, however. Alcoholism prevails among the ranks of seaman, and most captains I worked with were. Take the solitude, authority, responsibility, add it all up and well, go figure. Some can handle the pressure, some cannot.

posted on Dec, 14 2004 @ 06:07 PM
link   
As someone who puts up alot of news, it is common to use the title from the origional news source as was done in this case.

posted on Dec, 14 2004 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by devilwasp
Actually it is, there was no "mutiny" that would require several officers or rateings takeing control of the ship. They didnt they simply reported something to the higher ups and he was recalled back. Was the ship taken by force? no. was the ship taken in any way? NO!

A muntiny can occur by force or not. If the officers muntiny there is a different term I think. Like Barraty or something. At any rate, it is highly unusual, but even in USN ships the XO can relive the Captain if he is demonstrably unfit for duty.

posted on Dec, 14 2004 @ 06:31 PM
link   
I highly believe this may have been the case because It happens every day A lot of Commander think they are above the Law but when military laws permits this to happen every day intill you get caught that how its set up they'll turn a blind eye and slient anyone who speaks with threats but a person who has nothing to lose will break the quite strom......It True take a look at the Iraqi prisioners it was going on for a while...........I know I came from Iraq I'm and Infantry Men. and I'm not talking about in safe places in the Heat....Street Fever.......wishing to see the next day...Trust me the public is Miss informed.......
The Gossip in the media Alway think they know what there talking about Its Sick....makes me think that the goverment control what were hearing.......

new topics

top topics

join