It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Organic Matter Found On Mars!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2015 @ 08:18 PM
link   
Looks like solid proof this time.

link

SAM is the Sample Analysis of Mars instrument suite. It roams about the Red Planet on the back of the Curiosity Rover. One of the major goals of this mission, and a mission that SAM is crucial for, is detecting habitable environments on the surface of Mars. Now, before we begin, an important note: When we say “habitable,” we don’t mean that you could pull out a blanket and have a picnic because the environment is just so lovely. Rather, we are referring to environments that previously could have supported life. Also of note, “life” has a rather broad definition. Of course it includes the things that come to mind most immediately—dogs, cats, people, elephants, and so on—but it also includes more simple lifeforms (like microbes). And that’s really what we are talking about here.

With this in mind, there are several pieces of big news coming from SAM. First, it found a dramatic increase and  decrease in methane in Gale crater. Ultimately, this means that the environment on Mars is still active. Now, this could come from inorganic interactions on Mars (like the meeting of water and rock somewhere subsurface). But it could also come from organic sources, like methanogenic bacteria below the crust of the Red Planet. Second, SAM  has made the first definitive detection of organic molecules at Mars. This is rather notable, as organic molecules make life as we know it. Indeed, they are the building blocks of all known forms of terrestrial life.

posted on Jan, 12 2015 @ 08:33 PM
link   
We sure have spent a lot of resources to find bacteria farts.
I would like to see something productive come of all the effort.

posted on Jan, 12 2015 @ 08:47 PM
link   
a reply to: skunkape23

I wonder if there is any connection between the recently found results and those found on Mars with the Viking missions in the late seventies but denied? A couple of years ago the designer of the Viking "search for life experiment got a bit vocal and claimed that a reexamination of the data did, infact, show signs of life but different than what was expect at the time.

posted on Jan, 12 2015 @ 08:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Aliensun

Thumbs, blank post = blame big thumbs

But I wanted to say that it seems Viking may have been on to something, and even without this news it's insane how quick the rug gets pulled up. I'm all for the slow and subtle disclosure, it still eventually leads to disclosure

edit on 12-1-2015 by DuckforcoveR because: giant thumbs

edit on 12-1-2015 by DuckforcoveR because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2015 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Think of it this way....didn't they show microbial life in martian metoric material from Antarctica???
That would seem to confirm wouldn't it?

posted on Jan, 12 2015 @ 08:55 PM
link   
a reply to: stirling

I agree, but that just makes it too easy to scream "contamination!". Ultimately, it was discovered on earth.

posted on Jan, 13 2015 @ 08:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: stirling
Think of it this way....didn't they show microbial life in martian metoric material from Antarctica???
That would seem to confirm wouldn't it?

It was inconclusive. What some researchers said could have been fossilized signs of ancient life (carbonate globules) could have also been left by other natural non-life processes.

EDIT TO ADD:
Having said that, some leading astrobiologists (including the late David McKay of NASA -- no relation to NASA astrobiologist Chris McKay, who is another supporter of the potential of ancient and current life on Mars) argued that the circumstances by which these globules could have formed without life are unlikely.

edit on 1/13/2015 by Soylent Green Is People because: Give more sides of the issue.

posted on Jan, 13 2015 @ 02:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Jenisiz

There are people on ATS who have made fun of any suggestion that there could be life on Mars and actually resorted to name calling, I would bet when they do tell us they have found life no one will apologize.

posted on Jan, 13 2015 @ 02:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Char-Lee

There are people on ATS who have made fun of any suggestion that there could be life on Mars and actually resorted to name calling, I would bet when they do tell us they have found life no one will apologize.

Well, most mainstream science thinks mars could have once been habitable, and many astrobiologists (including NASA astrobiologists) think that Mars could possibly still have sub-surface life today.

So I'm not sure who it is on ATS that is saying Mars cannot have life. I agree that that there is no solid evidence yet that Mars has life, but that's not the same as saying that there is none.

edit on 1/13/2015 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2015 @ 11:59 PM
link   

Do remember that in science-speak, "organic molecule" does not mean "biological matter".

Biologic mater, as we know Earth-based biology, wheels around carbon-based, that is, "organic" molecules. But carbon-based "organic"molecules have been shown possible without biologic origins.

top topics

join