It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Life Extended. Is this something you want?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2015 @ 10:58 AM
link   
No God
No afterlife
No Lifeforce after
NOTHING

Just nothing, after this.... Sooooo

Hell yes i want to live forever....

posted on Jan, 13 2015 @ 11:03 AM
link   

TextOne day we will be able to live for hundreds if not thousands of years...it will change humanity completely but also our mindset.
Maybe If our lifespan was a thousand years we would think of the future instead of destroying our kids future.

My best advice to people before they start wanting to live a long time is maybe to work on The Six Incurable Prion Related Diseases. It would really suck to live a thousand years with Parkinson's or Dementia. Just MHO
Arjunanda

a reply to: boymonkey74

posted on Jan, 13 2015 @ 11:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: nullafides
a reply to: FormOfTheLord

Who in thier right minds would choose to die?

Against what measuring stick would you chose "right"?
I've dealt with anxiety and depression all of my entire life. That may very well put me in the target zone of your statement. But I think the greater picture here, is the right to live. The right to live when *you* want to. Quality of life.
And yet other's ideologies and viewpoints still are weighed in when we attempt to make decisions that will impact the one thing we are supposed to have control over.
- NF

Hey if you dont want to be around, no one is going to be forcing you.
Immortality is something we all need in order experience something good in our lifetimes, like an enlightened superpowered society, because nothing good has been done for a really long time, and I would really like to see this place improve exponentially.
edit on 13-1-2015 by FormOfTheLord because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2015 @ 11:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: FormOfTheLord
Immortality is something we all need in order experience something good in our lifetimes, like an enlightened superpowered society, because nothing good has been done for a really long time, and I would really like to see this place improve exponentially.

You don't know what you are talking about. Technology oppresses the masses and empowers the owners of capital that wield it.

Take for example the former Common Lands that used to be populated by English peasants, which those peasants used to grow food and make their own clothes and tools. In the time of Adam Smith, the 18th century, peasants could labor to make their own shoes out of leather in about one day, BUT people like Adam Smith proposed that these peasants coukd be coerced into taking factory jobs that would require 3 days of labor to buy commercially produced shoes.

So if you are an "Owner of Capital", how do you get people whom don't need to buy shoes, to start buying shoes?

Its simple, you change the laws so they can no longer get what they need to makes shoes from the land, coercing them to take factory jobs, so as to pay for manufactured shoes. I guess those peasants were "free" to choose to not take those factory jobs, but at the same time had no other legal means to make or acquire shoes.

Life extension tech will take the same turn, where you can certainly "choose" to not have the procedure done, but good luck getting a job, healthcare, shelter or education if you "choose" not to.

This is nothing more than another financing scheme, to get people into debt that takes decades to pay off with full-time employment. Not to mention if you live forever, some douchebag is certainly going to say that you will have plenty of time "later" to enjoy yourself and have time off.

When my parents were in school in the 1950's and 60's they were told: no one would have to work in the future, that everything would be done by robots and they would get to spend, increased free time, creating, making art, learning and helping others...

How many times do people have to fall for this crock before they actually figure out the real motivation for the creation of such tech?
edit on 13-1-2015 by boohoo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2015 @ 11:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: boohoo

You don't know what you are talking about. Technology oppresses the masses and empowers the owners of capital that wield it. Take for example Common Lands that used to be populated by English peasants, which they used to grow food and make their own clothes and tools. In the time of Adam Smith, peasants labored to make their own shoes out of leather in about one day, BUT Adam Smith proposed that they be coerced into taking factory jobs that would require 3 days of labor to buy commercially produced shoes.

So how do you get people whom don't need to buy shoes, to buy shoes?

You change the laws so they can no longer get what they need to makes shoes from the land, coercing them to take factory jobs. They were "free" to choose to not take those jobs, but at the same time had no other legal means to make or acquire shoes.

Life extension tech will take the same turn, where you can certainly "choose" to not have the procedure done, but good luck getting a job, healthcare, shelter or education if you "choose" not to.

This is nothing more than another financing scheme to get people into debt that takes decades to pay off with full-time employment. Not to mention if you live forever, someone is certainly;y going to say that you will have plenty of time "later" to enjoy yourself and have time off.

How many times do people have to fall for this crock before they figure out the real motivation?

No you dont know what your talking about.

Make an airborne virus that gives people immortality and its free just take this medicne if you wanna age and die like people did before the virus.

posted on Jan, 13 2015 @ 11:54 AM
link   

In Palo Alto in the heart of Silicon Valley, hedge fund manager Joon Yun is doing a back-of-the-envelope calculation. According to US social security data, he says, the probability of a 25-year-old dying before their 26th birthday is 0.1%. If we could keep that risk constant throughout life instead of it rising due to age-related disease, the average person would – statistically speaking – live 1,000 years. Yun finds the prospect tantalising and even believable. Late last year he launched a $1m prize challenging scientists to “hack the code of life” and push human lifespan past its apparent maximum of about 120 years (the longest known/confirmed lifespan was 122 years).

The Guardian, UK

I, for one, am read for a break.

Life, and medical condition of being a human being, is nothing but endless trials IMHO. Trials that heavily impact the mind, the soul, and the body. Sure, make life better through making the body impacts far less severe and a detracting force to the quality of life.

But what about the relentless march of change? Some may live for this. I am a creature of habit, due to a rather sincere lifelong battle with GAD, general anxiety disorder. Change, is something that is rather uncomfortable to me. It tweaks my anxiety and has always been the probability factor of oncoming panic attacks. When everything is squared away, it greatly eases my anxiety.

Death. Death of loved ones. The death of love, which overtime, fade if not die outright.

Becoming jaded, due to life based observations. Growing up to take pride in our nation and society, only to find out you were in a sugar induced high.

Some will retort that when we fix the bodily problems we will also fix much of the emotional pain and scarring. What, are we talking a magic pill "that makes all the pain go away"? Are we talking a scenario not unlike "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind"? These are not panacea like queues for being a fix to me. I see it as a band-aid, a pharmaceutical sugar pill.

Truthfully, as it stands, I am alive because of the pain it would cause my loved ones were my life to end. Is this something you wish to see extended by a few decades?

Personally, I don't.

-NF

posted on Jan, 13 2015 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Make an airborne virus that gives people immortality and its free just take this medicine if you wanna age and die like people did before the virus.

You just said the words "free" and "medicine" in the same sentence. Ha...thanks for solidifying my point.

posted on Jan, 13 2015 @ 11:59 AM
link   
The bible says our allotted life span is three score years and ten, (70 years) so anything over that is a bonus, go back 500 years, you were lucky to make it past 30, so with better food, accommodation, and health, perhaps the life span would continue to rise, looking at my brother and sister, I have another ten years, I really would like a lot more!

posted on Jan, 13 2015 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Make an airborne virus that gives people immortality and its free just take this medicine if you wanna age and die like people did before the virus.

You just said the words "free" and "medicine" in the same sentence. Ha...thanks for solidifying my point.

Immortality would be free, however just like some get free flu shots, people could get old age and death shots.

posted on Jan, 13 2015 @ 01:17 PM
link   
a reply to: FormOfTheLord

Seems like I struck a nerve.

After all, I asked "Do you want this?" I didn't say, "you're wrong if you do..."

Immortality is not something we all must seek.

Turn out the light wen you are finally done. I'll be long gone.

- NF

posted on Jan, 13 2015 @ 01:18 PM
link   
a reply to: pikestaff

Is there something you intended to contribute to this conversation?

-NF

posted on Jan, 13 2015 @ 01:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Miccey

Not that you are...

But I for one, am not afraid of the unknown. It's the known that scares the living sh$t out of me.

- NF

posted on Jan, 13 2015 @ 01:29 PM
link   
double post

posted on Jan, 13 2015 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Immortality would be free, however just like some get free flu shots, people could get old age and death shots.

You are truly kidding yourself, it will cost hundreds of thousands of dollars, if not millions, to get the life extension tech. The companies developing it have to recoup R&D, plus the secondary tuition cost paid by the practitioners learning to offer the extension process to "customers" (also known as patients). Take for example, brain cancer treatments that on average cost $100,000+ for the lifetime of the patient, same goes for pancreatic cancer. On the more mundane side, a dental bone grafts cost $10,000.

Life extension tech will not be cheap and if the "owners of capital" can make the procedure mandatory for gainful employment, they will treat the financing needed to get it just like they do now, with college.

posted on Jan, 13 2015 @ 05:55 PM
link   
a reply to: nullafides

If we enhanced life first so that living on this planet became enjoyable, then extending it makes sense, but for most people presently alive, this would simply be equivalent to adding more time onto their sentence.

posted on Jan, 13 2015 @ 06:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Nechash

Fair enough.

I'd just like to add, though...I don't consider it a prison sentence...

Rather, it's a ride...and one I wouldn't mind , in a while, getting off of...

-NF

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 02:34 AM
link   
Yes immortality is in my opinion very possible, but needs to be for everyone.

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 09:11 AM
link   

It won't be free, under any circumstances. What in the world is leading you to such a conclusion?

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 10:13 AM
link   

a reply to: Miccey

Not that you are...

But I for one, am not afraid of the unknown. It's the known that scares the living sh$t out of me.

- NF

Its not UNKNOWN, were did i say that...
And yes, i too am scared of the known...
Thats why i want to live forever....

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 01:16 AM
link   

It won't be free, under any circumstances. What in the world is leading you to such a conclusion?

That its possible. . .

It may be improbable, but its still possible.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join