It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The real origins of the word "Amen"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2004 @ 11:50 AM
link   
I was thinking about the (seemingly non-English language) word "Amen" and where it originally came from. The similarity between the name of Egyptian god "Amen-Ra" and "Amen" has struck me before as perhaps being more than mere coincidence. Could it be that the word Amen has pagan origins? Interesting if you think of the oft repeated phrase "...Our Saviour, Amen."

The simple Christian explanation:
members.datafast.net.au...

A reasonably in-depth study into the pagan origins of the word, including its appearance in Islam as well as Christianity:
www.free-minds.org...

A study which goes even further to say that many of the words used by modern Christianity, and words used to define God and the church are of pagan origin:
www.innvista.com...

Any thoughts?

[edit on 2004/12/14 by wecomeinpeace]

posted on Dec, 18 2004 @ 04:47 PM
link   
I think that if you look closely at the orgin of Aman-Ra, it is spelled with an a or an o, instead of the e found in our Amen today. Though that doesn't discredit the transformation into Amen, words have a funny way of changing like that. I also think that they never used the name Aman-Ra as the close to a pray or religous monologue like we do today. Again, perhaps that is part of the transformation of the word and its customs, but it seems improbable today that a pagan word used in christian faith would have slipped through the good fathers hands.

join