It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLITICS: Pentagon moving towards openly pro-deception policies

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2004 @ 11:40 AM
link   
The Pentagon is considering adoption of a new policy that would give it the power to, if not outright encourage, total use of deception and information manipulation. The Pentagon had an office charged with similar duties a few years ago, but intense pressure forced Rumsfeld to close the office. The new progam would essentially be a recreation of the older one. The concern is that targeted deception would quickly find its way into the mainstream media.

www.nytimes.com
Washington - The Pentagon is engaged in bitter, high-level debate over how far it can and should go in managing or manipulating information to influence opinion abroad, senior Defense Department civilians and military officers say.

Such missions, if approved, could take the deceptive techniques endorsed for use on the battlefield to confuse an adversary and adopt them for covert propaganda campaigns aimed at neutral and even allied nations.

Critics of the proposals say such deceptive missions could shatter the Pentagon's credibility, leaving the American public and a world audience skeptical of anything the Defense Department and military say - a repeat of the credibility gap that roiled America during the Vietnam War.

The efforts under consideration risk blurring the traditional lines between public affairs programs in the Pentagon and military branches - whose charters call for giving truthful information to the media and the public - and the world of combat information campaigns or psychological operations.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Are we really to believe that this doesn't happen anyhow? C'mon, we all know that the DoD engages in acts of deception, both publicly and privately, on a regular basis. And, are we to believe that somehow these things don't make their way into the mass media in the status quo?

[edit on 12-16-2004 by Zion Mainframe]

posted on Dec, 14 2004 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Let the official propaganda begin, let it be broadcast from the mountains to the seas. Let the Pentagon create news accounts that may be totally false to fool our enemies, domestic or foreign. We will have the public support any cause, even when the facts are not material!

Viva Presidente Bush! Long live el Presidente!
Death to traitors, and terrorists!

This message has been approved by the InterUSCensor Board.

posted on Dec, 14 2004 @ 02:54 PM
link   
This body does not exist. This post is misinformnation.

For more disinformation please contact
Pentagon Information Service
Selective Service System Pentagon Office at 703-697-1776

posted on Dec, 14 2004 @ 03:13 PM
link   
And this board does not exist and is just the creation of the government to spy on poor civilians.

I though the government has been using deception on us the citizens of this country for quite some time already.

Perhaps is not such thing as a government or a president but just a diversion to who may be the real power in our country after all.

Bush may not even be Bush neither.

posted on Dec, 14 2004 @ 03:21 PM
link   
as sun tzu wrote "All warfare is based on deception."...our openness on war dont exactly help us.

posted on Dec, 14 2004 @ 04:04 PM
link   
I don't want to be one to gloat, but this is yesterday's news. Very interesting though. I even got the article from a military site! Maybe "THEY" planned it that way. ?hmm?

Look Here

posted on Dec, 14 2004 @ 06:35 PM
link   
Being real about it very little that makes it to boards or chat list's is cutting edge news. lets use this item as an example.

The militry posted some where that they want to deliberatily lie to other countrys.

Then some main stream news service had to decide that they thought it was important to know the the proposed policey was to deliberatily lie to other countrys.

Then somebody on this board had to be interested enough to see if we thought that deliberatily lying to other countrys was a big enough issue to discuss.

So how do we feel about Lying to other country's. Where DOEs it Stop.

Let say pick an issue to Lie about. Say for example we tell the united arab emirate that we have no intention to take over their countrys. In the mean time we use the Iraq war as an excuse to preposition our self and Attack the Emirate.

Or an reverse Example Russia tells us they will disarm if we provide them financial assistance to do so. WE give them the cash and hey they don't have the missles they claimed to have needed to Disarmed.

posted on Dec, 14 2004 @ 07:25 PM
link   
They've been doing this for years. It's just more public now.

posted on Dec, 14 2004 @ 07:33 PM
link   
I am not sure what to make of this; they have been doing this for years, and now they just want to publicy tell us that it's going to be legal?

Deep

posted on Dec, 14 2004 @ 09:32 PM
link   
1984, HERE WE COME!

posted on Dec, 14 2004 @ 10:51 PM
link   
The real question here is why is the Pentagon making this deception public? I realize that everyone understands that this goes on, but why announce to the world that we are deceiving them. Another question I have is: How will this be affected by the intelligence reform that was recently passed? I might also add that making this information to the public certainly should not help to boost our shattered relations with countries in Europe, or anywhere else around the world. Now, that it is widespread knowledge (as if it wasn't before), our allies might be much more reluctant to give us any kind of information, which will destroy our relationships with these countries. We all already know how terrible of a shape our relationships are in now, now the Pentagon has made it a lot worse.

posted on Dec, 15 2004 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by SwedishMeatball
The real question here is why is the Pentagon making this deception public?

Imagine this. Information is sent to 'allies' stating that Iran (for example) is about to be attacked by the US. It is leaked and the Iranians get the info. But they refuse to believe it because they think its just another piece of disinformation.

Then they are attacked. And they didn't prepare for it because they didn't believe the intel.

posted on Dec, 15 2004 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Does anyone believe a thing the US government says anyway?

Bush and his whole team are proven liars.

posted on Dec, 16 2004 @ 02:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Flyer
Does anyone believe a thing the US government says anyway?

Bush and his whole team are proven liars.

True dat, true dat, true dat, true dat, my brother is all I have to say. I concur.

top topics

join