It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The rise of "kill yourself"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2015 @ 11:10 PM
link   
Where has this come from? People on social media who don't agree with someones point of view telling them to kill themselves?!?
Where did this come from and why is it being tolerated? Most recently I've seen it as a result of the whole Justin Bieber photo shop thing. His fans seem to have "kill yourself" as an automatic response to anyone who bad mouths or slights their idol. Do they not understand what a terrible thing it is they are actually saying? Has it become the same as passive swearing? If I heard or saw my kids telling someone to kill themselves they'd get a good clip round the ear. I don't understand it. As good as the internet can be in terms of learning and education, I'm starting to become extremely uneasy at the idea of my kids on social media. Luckily I have a few years yet to worry about it. Anyone else have these concerns? Seriously, what the heck man.

posted on Jan, 11 2015 @ 11:22 PM
link   
a reply to: christmaspig

It's an effective psy-ops.

posted on Jan, 11 2015 @ 11:27 PM
link   

About:

Kill Yourself, also known in plural as Kill Yourselves (if more than one person is involved), depicts a man dressed in a suit and giving off a “stop” gesture with his hand. The meme is commonly used in chat rooms and social networking sites in response to incompetent and/or pathetic remarks, statements, or images, with the purpose of telling those who it is directed at that they should just kill themselves for having said or done something so pathetic.

Origin:

The exact origin of the meme is currently unknown, however it is believed that it began through this image:

The image depicts a young teenager proposing to his girlfriend with a pair of sneakers, with the added captions “will you swag me?” and “omg yolo”, clearly poking fun at the use of the “Swag” and “YOLO” memes. The image was uploaded onto Facebook on several pages, predominantly “sick jokes” ones, where they obtained thousands of likes and comments.

knowyourmeme.com...
edit on 11-1-2015 by daaskapital because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2015 @ 11:32 PM
link   

why is it being tolerated?

As opposed to what? Freedom of speech. Are you actually suggesting somebody should be punished for saying that to someone? While I agree it is an idiotic, ignorant thing to say to someone, it is ones right to say it. Society has really softened as a whole. What happened to people having thick skin and not crying about and being offended at what people think or say? What exactly do you think should be done to these people?

posted on Jan, 11 2015 @ 11:45 PM
link   

It is as a result of the cyber bullying case in which a young girl, Amanda Todd was bullied on line, resulting in her suicide.

en.wikipedia.org...

There are no limits for some.

posted on Jan, 12 2015 @ 01:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: thesmokingman

why is it being tolerated?

As opposed to what? Freedom of speech. Are you actually suggesting somebody should be punished for saying that to someone? While I agree it is an idiotic, ignorant thing to say to someone, it is ones right to say it. Society has really softened as a whole. What happened to people having thick skin and not crying about and being offended at what people think or say? What exactly do you think should be done to these people?

Freedom of speech is a valid point, but what about social responsibility? I would smack my kid upside the head for saying that. Why is it okay for people to have no manners and say incredibly hurtful things like that? What would you do if you saw your kid telling someone else that they should kill themselves? Just let them? Or would you ask them what the hell is wrong with them? One step further, what if that person did commit suicide? Would you feel bad? Or would you just say that they should have had a thicker skin? To be so glib about saying something very hurtful brings the question of how much these people even value human life to begin with. Growing a thicker skin is not the answer to children growing into sociopaths.

posted on Jan, 12 2015 @ 01:19 AM
link   
a reply to: thesmokingman

Has society really softened? "Gee wilikers mister, you sure are a jerk" is what I associate with insults in America's past (like the 50's). Its the anonymity of the net that has people really cutting loose.

There is kind of a contradiction with free speech, because people get punished and rewarded all the time for things they say. Say the right thing at the interview, get hired. Say the wrong thing to the boss, get fired. People agree mostly that violent reactions to speech (like what happened in France) and government reactions like imprisonment are wrong, but you can speak out against people saying nasty things without it being any of that.

posted on Jan, 12 2015 @ 02:53 AM
link   
Hah Southpark already covered that one long ago......

posted on Jan, 12 2015 @ 08:36 AM
link   
That's one of my favourite memes.
If someone says something dumb enough to justify that kind of response.. well. Maybe the world would be a little better without their dumb ass using up oxygen.

Its just a play on a meme, a joke, a satire. It was very popular.

new topics

top topics

join