It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Arrest warrant issued for boy, 9, accused of stealing gum

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2015 @ 06:45 PM
link   

An Idaho prosecutor issued an arrest warrant for a 9-year-old boy who failed to show up in court.

Ok, this is ridiculous, but once again not surprising in the world we currently live. A warrant was issued for a 9 year old boy, accused of stealing gum twice.

Police Chief Scott Haug says it's the first time in his 30 years in law enforcement that he's ever seen an arrest warrant for someone that young.

Haug says the child missed court because relatives had no way of getting him to the courthouse.

How is a child supposed to appear in court when he can't get there? There is always the argument "you can find someone," which is used in the case of adults who have lost their license and have to appear at probation or court or risk a warrant for failure to show.

It could very well be that his parents or guardians, or (the state?) couldn't get him there:

The child is currently in the Juvenile Detention Center.

Was the child jailed before or after the warrant? That's what I don't understand and what's confusing. The details are very unclear.

Even though the child stole gum (and we don't know how much of a little snot he might have been), does that justify the fact that a warrant should be issued and he should currently be in a juvenile detention center? This might very well, in his development, add further to his problems down the line with legal troubles, and resentment of the law and government. Or is it meant to "scare" him right?

Why is it the KID'S fault that he can't make it to court?

This is, once again, the further encroachment of the police state and condition of our population and youth to obey, submit, follow orders—EVEN IF IT NOT LOGICALLY WITHIN ONE'S POWER TO DO SO.

This makes me sick.

LINK
edit on 11-1-2015 by Liquesence because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2015 @ 06:56 PM
link   
How did he end up in Detention?

Is that because of the warrant?

Because unless he was in Detention when he missed court, which couldn't be the case, that means he was caught afterwards for something else...

Confusing more than an indication of a Police State.
edit on 11-1-2015 by CharlieSpeirs because: Unnecassary comment removed!

posted on Jan, 11 2015 @ 06:58 PM
link   
It's kind of cause and effect man. You miss court, TWICE, they're going to issue a warrant regardless of your age and the charge.

Missing court once I could understand, sort of. Missing it twice for the same reason? Make some freakin arrangements and handle your crap.

Seems to me it's a failure to parent rather than an example of a police state.

I will agree that the parents or guardians probably should've been taken to task also. Unfortunately it's not their name on the charge, though.

posted on Jan, 11 2015 @ 07:02 PM
link   
No one summons a 9 year old to court for gum? Not and keep their job. Come on people, stop this nonsense because you're letting it happen. Get huge number dialing the phones in. Get really mad. Every day they commit hideous crimes against humanity, they should be verbally abused by a majority of citizens until they give up and yell uncle, our reign of tyranny is over.

posted on Jan, 11 2015 @ 07:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

A child should be held responsible for something out of his or her control? "Make some freakin arrangements and handle your crap."? It's a NINE (9) year old boy!

Failure of parents or guardian, sure, but when the courts starts issuing warrants to kids for really minor BS like this it's most definitely an example of police state conditioning.

posted on Jan, 11 2015 @ 07:05 PM
link   
No child should be jailed! and a detention center is a jail because freedom has been taken away.

Why cant the child drive? because he doesnt have the mental capability to drive safely.
Why cant he purchase alcohol? same reason.
Why can he....do lots of other things? SAME REASON!

Yet when it comes to being prosecuted, that is forgotten, and a child is treated and punished as if he is an adult.

He took some gum, so what! he shouldn't be punished, he should be educated!

posted on Jan, 11 2015 @ 07:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Liquesence

Yea the "make some arrangements" was in regards to the family.

They can get to a store where the kid can steal gum, they probably should make an effort to get to court to deal with the kid stealing. Again.

The child is the one that is charged. So that's who the warrant gets issued for. Can't really take the parents into custody and leave the kid behind, can they?

posted on Jan, 11 2015 @ 07:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Unity_99
No one summons a 9 year old to court for gum? Not and keep their job. Come on people, stop this nonsense because you're letting it happen. Get huge number dialing the phones in. Get really mad. Every day they commit hideous crimes against humanity, they should be verbally abused by a majority of citizens until they give up and yell uncle, our reign of tyranny is over.

Blame the retailer for pressing charges. Aroud here, shoplifting is only prosecuted if the retailer presses charges.

posted on Jan, 11 2015 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Eh by Gum!

Heard it all now.

Lucky he never used it to blow a bubble coulda been tazzered

posted on Jan, 11 2015 @ 07:13 PM
link   
Jesu Christo...I would have bought the store a case of gum to not have to read of this.
Now we have a kid who will resent the law for the rest of his life.
"Idaho, but I lost'er."

posted on Jan, 11 2015 @ 07:16 PM
link   

I am sure if he used some gumption he could have made it to court.

posted on Jan, 11 2015 @ 07:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

In many areas of town there is a store within walking distance of many people, including kids, and many people in these neighborhoods don't have licenses. In many of these towns the courthouse is quite a ways away. Without knowing details it's invalid assume he got there (the store) with help from parents or guardians, and therefore an invalid argument that it's therefore their fault he cant show up in court (but they could get a taxi! BS).

True, the child is charged. Point is, a child of 9 should NOT have a warrant taken out, and have to be in detention,for allegedly stealing gum—or failing to appear when a child has no means of getting to court. If anything, for a minor, it should be the parents or guardians summoned to bring their child to appear.

posted on Jan, 11 2015 @ 07:24 PM
link   

Without knowing any of the details, it's invalid to assume he walked to the store, and invalid to assume the family has zero means of transportation, and no ability to find transportation at all, twice.

Works both ways

The point is, the warrant gets issued for the person charged. Not their family. Not their neighbor. Not their best friend.

Oh, and for what it's worth: when a minor is stopped for shoplifting, the parents have to come pick the minor up and sign papers. So, at some point, the parents were able to leave their house to get their kid back after he was caught shoplifting.
edit on 11-1-2015 by Shamrock6 because: Eta

posted on Jan, 11 2015 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Kootenai County prosecutor Barry McHugh says the warrant was issued because the boy twice failed to appear.

sounds like the parents didn`t try hard enough to get him to court,maybe put the parents in jail?
well, he`s in juvenile detention now so he`ll definitely make it to his next court date.

posted on Jan, 11 2015 @ 07:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6

They can get to a store where the kid can steal gum, they probably should make an effort to get to court to deal with the kid stealing. Again.

The child is the one that is charged. So that's who the warrant gets issued for. Can't really take the parents into custody and leave the kid behind, can they?

Why not?

CYS doesn't have an issue taking children away from their parents for any other reasons!

I know your a police officer and in the past we have had our discussions, but are you really advocating a child being arrested for gum because of civil statutes?

For Christ's sakes, if the freaking community and their corrupt government is so hard up for money and creating a life long "serf", even though I don't have much, I will pay the BS fine!

There comes a time my friend, where even IF you are one of those who enforce the law, that if you truly love freedom and the Constitution, you NEED to stand up and say so! Stop making excuses.......

posted on Jan, 11 2015 @ 07:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: seeker1963

Why not?

CYS doesn't have an issue taking children away from their parents for any other reasons!

I know your a police officer and in the past we have had our discussions, but are you really advocating a child being arrested for gum because of civil statutes?

For Christ's sakes, if the freaking community and their corrupt government is so hard up for money and creating a life long "serf", even though I don't have much, I will pay the BS fine!

There comes a time my friend, where even IF you are one of those who enforce the law, that if you truly love freedom and the Constitution, you NEED to stand up and say so! Stop making excuses.......

Taking a child into custody and leaving the parents at the house is a bit different than taking the parents into custody and leaving the child at the house, is it not? That's the point I made. They can't exactly arrest the kid's parents for not getting him to court and leave the kid behind.

I'm not advocating anything, I'm explaining the law. Around here, nobody would prosecute a kid that age for shoplifting to begin with, so this entire saga would've never happened. They'd stop him, get their crap back, call his parents, and kick him out of the store. The only time we've ever taken a kid this age into custody for shoplifting is a handful of occasions where the parents wouldn't come pick the kid up.

posted on Jan, 11 2015 @ 07:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: seeker1963

Why not?

Taking a child into custody and leaving the parents at the house is a bit different than taking the parents into custody and leaving the child at the house, is it not? That's the point I made. They can't exactly arrest the kid's parents for not getting him to court and leave the kid behind.

I'm not advocating anything, I'm explaining the law. Around here, nobody would prosecute a kid that age for shoplifting to begin with, so this entire saga would've never happened. They'd stop him, get their crap back, call his parents, and kick him out of the store. The only time we've ever taken a kid this age into custody for shoplifting is a handful of occasions where the parents wouldn't come pick the kid up.

I guess we are at a stand still then as far as society goes. I am not arguing your point, because I can't disagree with it. However, I guess it just goes to show you that the whole ideal of political correctness and protecting society from children who steal gum has turned common sense into a bunch of idiots who think watering our crops with a corporate soft drink will feed the world, while in reality it kills the crops and we all starve?

*Movie Hint*

posted on Jan, 11 2015 @ 08:13 PM
link   

A child who is arrested is presumably released into the custody of a parent or guardian who would have been informed that he had to appear in court. Do you think he shouldn't have been arrested at all?

If more 9-year-olds are arrested for stealing gum, fewer 16 year-olds will probably be arrested for stealing cars--or worse.

posted on Jan, 11 2015 @ 08:22 PM
link   
a reply to: skunkape23

"Idaho, but I lost'er

Where did you lose her Jamaica or did she go off her own accord ?

posted on Jan, 11 2015 @ 08:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Tangerine

Yes, and if more 5 year old are arrested for misbehaving in school, the less likelihood of nine year olds stealing gum, etc...see where this is going?

Lets just keep arresting and charging children younger and younger until they're in they system for good and can get out to break more laws.

smh

People are missing the point.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join