It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Overweight people should they be forced to go on diet

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2004 @ 11:29 AM
link   
I think, at least in the state of Oklahoma, that every overweight person should have to pay an extra user's tax on each food product they buy whether fast-food, restaurant or grocery store.

The reason I say this is that a tax was passed by referendum this year that will go in effect in 2005 that is a user's tax on each cigarrette and the logic is that since the health risks associated with smoking can adversely affect the health care system, the smoker should pay additional tax to offset this.

The same thing can be said about over-eaters/overweight people...tax 'em and make them pay for the adverse affects to the healthcare system caused by their obesity, clogged arteries, high occurrence of diabetes and fat-engulfed hearts.

posted on Dec, 17 2004 @ 10:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fitzpatrick
Well when you say do whatever makes them happy, in the case of junk food its like a drug to them. And it isnt a good thing for them to relie on food for happiness. Fat people can infridge on you though making healthcare more stretched.

It really doesn't matter to me what people eat or what drugs they use...and I don't think it should matter to anyone else.

posted on Dec, 18 2004 @ 03:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok

Fat people can infridge on you though making healthcare more stretched.

So do smokers, alchoholics, etc. Where's the battlecry to stop them?

I thought there is quite a big thing to stop it. anti smoking adverts ban it in places higher taxes. And heavy drinkers theres help schemes and high tax. But the binge drinking culture is new here so we will have to see how it goes

posted on Dec, 18 2004 @ 08:28 AM
link   
Lets put a tax on red meat and fried chicken too...they clog arteries and damage the heart..... cause heat disease.....a burden on the medical field....plenty of thin people have heart attacks due to life style, you people are just amazing. Many of you would never say such things about race creed or color.....but boy is there some other prejudices going on.

posted on Dec, 18 2004 @ 09:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by LadyV
Lets put a tax on red meat and fried chicken too...they clog arteries and damage the heart..... cause heat disease.....a burden on the medical field....plenty of thin people have heart attacks due to life style, you people are just amazing. Many of you would never say such things about race creed or color.....but boy is there some other prejudices going on.

Hey, yea...let's tax black people for being more prone to having prostate cancer, and the women need to pay for their breast cancer!!! That's the way it should work in a democracy.

posted on Dec, 18 2004 @ 01:11 PM
link   
I think there is a difference between discrimnating about someones skin colour and stopping an severly overweight person eating junk

posted on Dec, 18 2004 @ 02:11 PM
link   
You would be discriminating someone by taxing them for being themselves, how do you discern between somebody who is overweight and somebody who is just big? are you gonna F*ck*n have a stamp on their forhead? My sister is a big girl, she doesn't eat junk food, doesnt eat meat, and works out 3times a week. You look at her and might think she's fat , but she's not. Who cares if someone eats alot, that should between the person and their food.
Are you telling me how to live my life or how to spend money? so waht if i get so huge and shorten my life span , will it affect you? wouldn't it not affect you more if everybody lived to be 100?
I swear , while we are at it, lets tax everything or better yet require a freaken license to buy junkfood, ciggarettes and alcohol! you go to your doctor and if he thinks your healthy enough, you can apply for this license and pay hundreds a year for it. better yet lets just put a Huge Tax on Sugar! sorry for the rant , but forcing people to eat a certain way? come on , let people choose how to live their lives, let them be big or small, in shape or out of shape.
Thats right Try and Wrestle this Twizzler from my MOuth

posted on Dec, 19 2004 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by bordnlazy
You would be discriminating someone by taxing them for being themselves, how do you discern between somebody who is overweight and somebody who is just big? are you gonna F*ck*n have a stamp on their forhead? My sister is a big girl, she doesn't eat junk food, doesnt eat meat, and works out 3times a week. You look at her and might think she's fat , but she's not. Who cares if someone eats alot, that should between the person and their food.
Are you telling me how to live my life or how to spend money? so waht if i get so huge and shorten my life span , will it affect you? wouldn't it not affect you more if everybody lived to be 100?
I swear , while we are at it, lets tax everything or better yet require a freaken license to buy junkfood, ciggarettes and alcohol! you go to your doctor and if he thinks your healthy enough, you can apply for this license and pay hundreds a year for it. better yet lets just put a Huge Tax on Sugar! sorry for the rant , but forcing people to eat a certain way? come on , let people choose how to live their lives, let them be big or small, in shape or out of shape.
Thats right Try and Wrestle this Twizzler from my MOuth

I dont know what a twizzler is im afraid.
I thought everything sold in shops was taxed or am i wrong?
And yes health problems caused by excessive eating does affect the health service.
I see a difference between living to 100 and eating junkfood.

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 12:13 PM
link   
I think something needs to be done. A tax would be a good idea, impose a tax on unhealthy food driving up the cost. Especially fast food, the process from which they acquire the meat is hurting the world not to mention what it is doing to everybody who eats it. I quit eating fast food and eat healthy and I feel so much better and have much more energy. Whether this is the right solution or not I think something needs to be done about americas obesity problem.

apc

posted on Jan, 16 2005 @ 03:24 AM
link   
Nothing as widespread and generalized as a tax would ever fly... the best we can do is gawk and smirk at the 300pounder picking up a pack of krispy kremes at the gas station. Either they'll feel ashamed enough to do something about their condition, or evolution will fix it for them.

Also, the research on this is incomplete, but diet sodas may infact be aiding weight problems instead of helping. Many diet soft drinks use the artificial sweetener, Splenda. This ingredient undergoes a special bleaching process that leaves a bleach residue in the product. The bleach damages the thyroid eventually causing thyroid failure, but before then can cause thyroid disfunction triggering increased weight gain and malfunctioning metalolic systems.
Water is always the best thing to drink, in almost any context.

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 06:48 AM
link   
I'm having a really hard time understanding some of you "human beings", and I use the word lightly here, why would any one, make fun or scoff at "any" one for anything!? How childish... and it shows a real lack of character as a person...very sad....no wonder we have bullies at school killing people and others killing themselves from the bullies....great example some adults display!:bnghd:

apc

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 10:28 AM
link   
gotta kill off the weak and stupid somehow. and thats not just a totalitarian objectification... its a fact.

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by apc
gotta kill off the weak and stupid somehow. and thats not just a totalitarian objectification... its a fact.

What's a fact!? You "think" that if someone is overweight, they are weak and stupid....not so, I know waaaaay too may weak and stupid thin people...though no one has the corner marketed on weakness and/or stupidity...just take a look:shk:

apc

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 05:28 PM
link   
No, I don't think overweight always translates to weak and stupid. I know several 350lb software programmers and a few 400lb brilliant salesmen (it takes some brains to convince people to pay thousands of dollars for crap they dont need), however these are the minorities.

The majority, excluding those suffering from a legitimate medical disfunction, be it diabetes or any number of metabolic disorders, however do fall into this catagory. Weak and stupid. They go to a restaraunt, take up their entire side of the booth, and proceed to surround themselves with platefulls of greasy buttery garbage. These are the people who die at the age of 35 from heart failure, or go on disability so they have an excuse to lay in bed and surround it with empty pizza delivery boxes. Evolution tries its best to kill these examples off, but it usually is too late, and they've already had a chance to breed more resource-wasters.

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 09:30 AM
link   
First of all isnt diet soda made with aspartame. Secondly obesity is a national problem, we consume great amounts of food for no reason and our earth and natural resources are hurting for this. There is no reason why somebody should consume a 4,000 calorie diet. And to reply to the person who mentioned "well what about people who are just big" there are always body fat measurements that can be taken.

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 09:37 AM
link   
My argument here is not that there is a problem that needs to be address...there is. My problem is people who are so low in character that they feel the need to make fun of, to scoff, at others, and to feel that the majority of those people that are overweight somehow equates with being weak and stupid....which of course as any intelligent person knows.....it absolutely ridiculous! You simply do not make fun of others...it shows very poor judgment and character!

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by KrazyIvan

Originally posted by elevatedone
so what if they order a "fat" lunch... it's not your life...

I don't understand why come down on "large" people, it's none of our business what they look like.

If you don't like the way they look, then turn your head, I say.

Who cares if someone is overweight

well they just keep bitching and bitching about it and they cant stop and say hey i need to do something about this.

This sums up everything that seems to be going on here.
Quote from Austin Powers

Fat Bastard: [to Felicity] Of course I'm not happy. Look at me, I'm a big fat slob. I've got bigger titties than you do. I've got more chins than a Chinese phonebook. I've not seen my willie in two years, which is long enough to declare it legally dead.
[on the verge of tears]

Fat Bastard: I can't stop eating. I eat because I'm unhappy, and I'm unhappy because I eat. It's a vicious cycle.

--Never fails to amuse me.

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 10:11 AM
link   
apc....the naivety in your statement is palpable...You make vague and incoherent opinions try to sound like facts...I'm wondering how you have the authority to label people "weak and stupid"....The only people I feel comfortable calling weak and stupid people are junkies, mental cases and selective retards...and they can't help themselves for what they are.....

If you saw me you'd probably label me as fat...I'm 6'2" and weight 290 lbs - I like to wear comfortable, loose fitting clothes...But lemme tell you that you'd also make a big mistake by smirking at me or giggling when I walk by - I go to the gym every day so that when punks like you cause a scene and try to "belittle" me or my buddies, they get a lesson in life - Making stereotypes and false judgments on people solely based upon the way they look without knowing anything about their lifestyles - at least in this scenario - would get you pummeled into the ground....

But I seriously doubt that would ever happen....B/c you are the minority...you only say these things on the internet, and you'd surely never dare attempt to insult someone in their face....

I can never quite understand the drive and motivation these religious fitness fanatics have....They act as though they’re here to help you – they do this by insulting you – they see themselves either as the spitting image of perfection or the ugliest person in the world - but they want you to be just like them - b/c they’re all alone in their own world of personal persecution and need someone to out perform....I have a whole band of friends that are personal trainers, who would all agree that you’re “technique” is going to get people nowhere in their attempts to loose weight – And the fact that you can accept that (IE...you’d rather have obese people die then be around you) just picks up with my opening statement....I should have made this post shorter by saying:

“The naivety in your statement is palpable....PERIOD”

Why? B/c I know this argument will go round and round and you’ll have a rebuttal for this and a rebuttal for that and I won’t agree with a single damn thing.....You know why? B/c all of this is conjecture and opinions....The problem is, some people try to make their own # smell like roses....

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 11:02 AM
link   
Stupid subject... :shk::shk::shk:

Can't we all just get along !!!

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Get people obsessed with weight and then before you know it, even the "CT"'s are too busy to ask questions.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join