It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Conservative Icon Blames College Campus Sexual Assaults On Too Many Female Students

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2015 @ 11:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: SaturnFX

What should be done? don't say have men take responsibility, yadda yadda...men know assault is bad, yet bad people assault.
So...what can be done then. Its a bit like any crime. criminals do it regardless of the law..thats sort of the point of them being criminals

So..what actual tangible thing can be done? think about it..what is the final result?

segregation perhaps? all men outfitted with some sort of electronic chip for tracking? video surveillance everywhere? take a bit of time and stop going with the slogans and consider the actual real world possibilities of what can/should be done.

I like the nail polish that changes color when dipped into a drink that has the date rape drug in it. And yes, it was developed by a couple of male college students. Men taking some responsibility - yay!!

But seriously, I do see your point. Demanding that all men take responsibility for the ones who rape is a little like demanding that the peaceful Muslims take responsibility for the extremists. It's not really fair, is it.

But for God's sake, let's not start blaming women for rape. That would be like blaming Charlie Hebdo for their own deaths. Blame the extremists for their deaths. Blame the men doing the raping for the rapes.

posted on Jan, 11 2015 @ 11:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv
But seriously, I do see your point. Demanding that all men take responsibility for the ones who rape is a little like demanding that the peaceful Muslims take responsibility for the extremists. It's not really fair, is it.

But for God's sake, let's not start blaming women for rape. That would be like blaming Charlie Hebdo for their own deaths. Blame the extremists for their deaths. Blame the men doing the raping for the rapes.

Agreed there, and erm..courts tend to assign the blame accordingly. Quite simple with that.

slut shaming neocons and rape culture pusher neolibs both need to get out of this conversation.

posted on Jan, 11 2015 @ 12:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: kaylaluv

She meant that when men get to dictate the rules of the dating game, then the game is played by their rules not the rules women would prefer.

The power rests in the hands of the minority in this case. You want a man who will treat you with respect and the men don't want to? They don't have to. There are less of them and more women who want men. If you won't play ball their way, then another woman will.

You really should stop and think. She holds the same jaundiced view of men in this case that you do, but you refuse to see it because ... OMG, conservative = bad.

Wait, what? If you won't play ball their way, they can rape you because there's lots of other women?? Why would men need to use date rape drugs when women are climbing over themselves to get the few men on campus? Why is the number of women on campus being used to explain sexual assaults? That comment she made makes no sense to me. Unless she is saying that there's just too many cute girls who are holding out on these guys, and they just can't deal with all the closed-for-business vaginas walking around, so... date rape drugs. Less cute girls on campus, less frustration on the poor boys - less sexual scandals. Again, I can only surmise that she is blaming the cute girls here.

The number of girls on campus shouldn't make any difference when it comes to sexual assaults. Having more of a balance of the two genders won't make a bit of difference when it comes to sexual assaults. Having NO men on campus would lower the number of sexual assaults a hell of a lot more than having MORE men on campus (I'm not advocating that - just sayin'). She's an idiot.

posted on Jan, 11 2015 @ 12:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Auricom

While this is insane, and outright infuriating, it's no different than liberals claiming that all men are rapists.

What is insane is that you think liberals really say that all men are rapists...

The answer to less sexual assault is people not sexual assaulting people.
Not lowering the numbers or putting a quota on what number of a certain sex can attend a college.

posted on Jan, 11 2015 @ 12:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

I think you further proved my point. Less than 1% of women will be victims. Don't get me wrong, it's still ridiculous that any women are victims. But, most people believe that the number is 20% or 1 in 5 from biased study from long ago.

Now we have campaigns to "teach men not to rape". So 1% of women are victims, most perpetrators are serial, yet every man is a potential rapist and needs to be taught on how not to rape?! Maybe we should have a campaign for women "how not to drown your children".

Concerning how many go unreported; well, no one knows. Similar to how we don't know how many women make false claims that damages an innocent man's reputation and get away with it.

Insignificant! We shouldn't even worry about it. Yes, the feminist lie! Once again, let's blame the women for making this # up!

Not all women are feminist. I don't blame women as a group at all. Feminist I do blame as the peddle fear through false statistics and use it to pass sexist legislation.

posted on Jan, 11 2015 @ 03:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: SaturnFX
What should be done? don't say have men take responsibility, yadda yadda...

I only say that because people talk about women in the same context. In other words, "Women need to be more aware." "Women need to act responsibly, so they don't get raped." And so on. I'm not one who claims that all men are potential rapists or whatever. I've NEVER heard anyone say that all men are rapists. That's ridiculous. This isn't a man vs. woman thing. The subject is women getting raped on campus, by men.

So...what can be done then. Its a bit like any crime. criminals do it regardless of the law..thats sort of the point of them being criminals

Agreed. There are many things that can be done. I'd start with raising our kids to respect other people. Education. Bringing the problem into the light of day. Resources for PEOPLE who have been raped by other PEOPLE. Encouraging victims to report rape.

You will quickly realize this whole argument has a hidden agenda, and it isn't pretty for anyone.

What is the agenda?

I watch this woman in regards to actual feminism, and more importantly, trying to reclaim sense into the movement

I actually agree with most of what she says. I'm not part of the "rape culture" she speaks of. I'm not wrapped up in the "Rape on Campus" movement. I know activists sometimes find a cause and go nuts in trying to make something happen. And, like she says, they usually end up hurting their cause. But to me, ANY rape is too much (I say this as a rape victim who was too embarrassed, ashamed, scared and humiliated to report it). And we should work on finding ways to lessen it if we can.

My posts aren't in response to the rape culture. They are in response to the OP and other posters only.

posted on Jan, 11 2015 @ 04:10 PM
link   
dating and procreation should only happen when one is ready to spawn minions.

Other then that. Life has so much more to offer than adapting to anothers mundane lifestyle.

Tho my life is pretty mundane right now, I read a lot and have a lot of Alone time. Besides that i live i live in my house with my family so i'm not really alone.

We eat family dinners. And i enjoy the connection we have together. Family isn't like a sexual relationship tho.
Family will always be family. As for exterior humans from my inner circle. That is just what they are. They may or may not have a family but that's not really my buisness. I don't have to dedicate my life to make someone happy when i don't really feel like wasting my time doing what i think are boring things anyways.

But as for more woman in university and college?
I don't know. Woman can pull through some decent cash as they are very good at establishing relationships.
So that's their buisness not mine.

But i don't think the *Making sure there are 50% male on campus* Will work, Unless of course they plan on booting 70% of the woman there so the 30% men number will become 50/50 with woman.
Lol. And getting rid of student loans? 70% of the people going to those insitutions relies on student loans.
The whole thing is a scam anyways to begin with. Which is why the female ratio is so high because many man are getting into trades because signing for slavery through Debt sucks.

I'm actually glad the future of American society realizes this. Hopefully it will force those greedy insitutions to become publically funded rather than Privately owned. But i guess the U.S has a lot of Debt or something and they are trying to funnel cash from students to cover 0.000001% of that national debt that is created when ever the banks loan a dollar they put interest on that dollar. Making it impossible to pay back as there is more owed than all the money currently in circulation. Their idea is that we the peope have to funnel money from other nations to cover the interest. Well the American people would literally have to hunt down every single dollar made in existance and give it back to the Fed in order for the national debt to be eliminated.

An impossible task as many bills have been destroyed/damaged/missing or in posession of people who just wouldn't give it back at all costs.

So it pretty much is a scam sad to say if someone wants to be educated It's better they are balling rich and have the money to cover expenses.

Lots of rich people are giving birth to Woman nowadays for some reason, Hense the over pool of woman.

Why You Should Consider Trade School Instead of College

For a lot of people, going to a four year college seems like an automatic choice when they graduate from high school. The reason is obvious – more income. According to the National Center for Educational Statistics, a college degree accounted for $15,000 in additional income per year versus a high school diploma ($30,000 versus $45,000). Over a thirty year career in the workforce, that adds up to a $450,000 difference. However, there are a few drawbacks with this happy picture. Drawbacks to College Education Length For starters, a bachelor’s degree typically takes four years of study, which means that people who enter the workforce after receiving their bachelor’s degree aren’t doing so until age 22. That shaves some years off of a person’s career. Cost Another drawback is the cost.

The average bachelor’s degree in the United States costs $127,000. Dropout Rate A third drawback: some people simply aren’t prepared for the rigors of a four year college. The Institute of Education Statistics estimates that 40% of attendees at a four year college drop out before completing their degree. If you find yourself as a part of that 40%, not only have you incurred some of the expense of college, you left without receiving a degree. Trade School Instead of College My response to these statistics is that people approaching high school graduation should seriously consider trade school, particularly if they’re not at the top of their class. Trade school offers a pretty compelling career path, particularly compared to the college path described above. What is a Trade School? A trade school, also known as a technical school or a vocational school, is an educational institution that exists to teach skills related to a specific job. So instead of getting a general education in sciences, liberal arts or business, a trade school focuses on preparing student for specific careers.

These careers could be jobs like electrician, mechanic, truck driver, machinist, welder or many others. Advantages to Trade Schools For starters, the salary isn’t that much of a drop-off compared to a four year degree. SimplyHired.com estimates that a trade school graduate will make about $42,000 per year. Over the course of thirty years, the difference between that trade school graduate and the four year college graduate is only $90,000. Another factor that helps with trade school is that you’ll enter the workforce two years earlier. That amounts to two additional years of income in which the trade school graduate will make, on average, another $42,000 each year, adding up to $84,000. That means that at age 52 (after 30 years in the workforce versus 32 for the trade school graduate), the college graduate will only be ahead by $6,000 on lifetime income, even excluding the loan.

At the same time, the average trade school degree costs $33,000, which, compared to a $127,000 bachelor’s degree, means a savings of $94,000. But that’s not all! If you assume that these students are fully financing their education with loans at 4% over ten years, the bachelor’s degree will cost $154,000, while the trade school degree will cost only $40,000. That’s a savings of $114,000 just on the degree. Of course, most students in both cases won’t fully finance their education. They’ll work and find other sources of income to help with the process, meaning the gap will be smaller in the average case.

edit on 11-1-2015 by AnuTyr because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2015 @ 05:48 PM
link   
a reply to: SearchLightsInc

Young Turks are very good in how they present current news. They're neither conservative or liberal, just human beings who want real solutions to the worlds problems.

Lol... Someone is making a play for a career in comedy. They're worse than Fox and CNN combined.

Sure, too many women isn't a valid reason for so-called sexual assault. The real culprit is how ridiculously easy it is to get in trouble for sexual harassment and/or assault, especially when the male was coaxed into it. Another culprit is, well, if one walks around showing her vagina to a campus full of college boys, then sooner or later one of them is going to touch it.

Of course there are some real serious cases that need to be addressed; real stuff. It is a problem too, and neither dress nor unrealistic policy is the culprit. The boys who do that deserve some serious consequences.

posted on Jan, 11 2015 @ 05:52 PM
link   
Make you a deal,don't call right wing nuts conservative, and I won't call left wing nuts liberal.

posted on Jan, 12 2015 @ 03:03 AM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

But liberals do say that. Not all, just like not all conservatives think what the tool mentioned in the OP's post said either. I was pointing out the idiocy in these debates, the kind of idiocy that doesn't help us in any way.

Thanks for your input.

posted on Jan, 12 2015 @ 06:22 AM
link   
a reply to: SearchLightsInc

this reminds me of a radical middle eastern thinking....it's their own fault for being too sexy...

posted on Jan, 12 2015 @ 06:35 AM
link   
I don't think I"ve ever heard of this 'icon'.
Maybe ... but I can't remember having heard of her.

But anyways, I went and looked her up - Info Here
Note - Its' Wikipedia so I don't know how accurate it is.

Phyllis McAlpin Stewart Schlafly (/ˈfɪlɨs ˈʃlæfli/; born August 15, 1924) is an American constitutional lawyer, conservative activist, author, and founder of the Eagle Forum. She is known for her staunch social and political conservatism, her opposition to modern feminism, and her successful campaign against ratification of the Equal Rights Amendment. Her 1964 book A Choice, Not an Echo was issued in millions of copies as an attack on Nelson Rockefeller and the Eastern Republican Establishment. She co-authored books on national defense and was highly critical of arms-control agreements with the Soviet Union. Schlafly founded the Eagle Forum in the 1970s and the Eagle Forum Education & Legal Defense Fund, St. Louis. As of 2013, she remained the president of both organizations and maintained a presence on the lecture circuit. Since 1967, she has published a newsletter, the Phyllis Schlafly Report.

The stand out to me - A 90 year old woman ... (literally from another era) ... who campaigned against the Equal Rights Amendment. I don't understand having that position at all. But anyways, if this biography is accurate, it kinda tells us where her thinking is.

posted on Jan, 12 2015 @ 06:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: MarioOnTheFly
this reminds me of a radical middle eastern thinking....it's their own fault for being too sexy...

That's the first thing I thought of as well. Blame the woman for the men who can't control themselves. Use it as an excuse not to allow women to enter universities and to be able to be self sufficient. Iran just recently cut off high-end degrees to women in their universities; blocking them from taking courses like Chemistry and Engineering in many of them. This reeks of the same mentality.

posted on Jan, 12 2015 @ 07:33 AM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

When I was a teen in the 70's, I remember her being in the news and on tv programs, spouting her stuff. My mother absolutely hated her - she used to pronounce Phyllis' last name a little differently, which I won't do here, due to T&C.

posted on Jan, 12 2015 @ 07:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: SearchLightsInc
So, apparently you can reduce the amount of sexual assaults on collage campus's by... reducing the amount of women. Not only that, she goes on to talk about how less men are now going to college and that a quota should be introduced to reassess this ( I kinda agree)

Well TECHNICALLY, that's true. However the proportionate number of rapes wouldn't decrease. Misuse of statistics there. As for your quotas, I disagree. If men don't want to go to college anymore, figure out why and address it. Creating quotas is useless. If anything, we should drop the female enrollment quota. Not institute a new one.

Lastly, she states that student loans should be abolished so that college students don't have enough time for partying.

I don't know about abolished, but at least not government funded anymore. Let the banks reassume the risk for the loans and the student loan problem would evaporate overnight. Though I'm sure a fair number of banks would go out of business at first.

This woman has lost her marbles but im sharing this because it reminds me of some of the mentalities of some active ATS members. Thought i'd give the MRA's something to defend while i sit back and laugh to myself about how moronic this whole segment is.

She is pretty moronic (actually I think that point about dropping rape numbers was intentionally said like that making herself technically correct) about the rape issue, but her other points have a bit of validity. Not to mention you agreed with one of her points.

Ladies, dont want to risk sexual assault? Take this educated woman's advice and stay at home

She's just a parrot of the conservative right. She is just saying what they want her to say so she can get a head.

posted on Jan, 12 2015 @ 09:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Auricom

But of course only wanted to point out one sides idiocy.
Does some people of the conservative nature saying that it is the women's fault cause she wore the wrong clothes or lead the man on to much help us in any way?

posted on Jan, 13 2015 @ 10:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

No, I thought I made that clear with my previous post.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join