It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gun owners - Have you apologised for a spree killing recently?

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2015 @ 12:37 PM
link   
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

Oh I know that's not what Nef meant, that he really doesn't think that.

posted on Jan, 11 2015 @ 12:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

Is there a single person here that feels all Muslims are extremist? 

Is there a single person here that feel all Muslims are evil or some other negative connotation? 

I certainly don't. ... and I made that clear at the beginning of the thread.
I am sure I got lumped in with the 'idiots' that 'don't get it' that the anti gunners are creaming their panties over.
I don't think the OP is so dim to think that this thread would have went anywhere other than where it has.
That is why I think it is a trolling thread.

posted on Jan, 11 2015 @ 12:39 PM
link   
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

No offense taken - wouldn't be the first time an Englishman has pointed out to me how backwards we can be

:-)

posted on Jan, 11 2015 @ 12:39 PM
link   
a reply to: neformore

if the victims were armed at least they would have had a chance.

posted on Jan, 11 2015 @ 12:40 PM
link   
a reply to: St0mP121

about gun control not Muslims

You did read this part of the disclaimer...

deeper thinking on a particular subject. Its not meant as a slight against anyone personally. Its a parallel.

...Do you know what "particular subject" was "paralleled" to?

Do you get the deeper meaning of putting this thread in the War On Terrorism Forum?

Lighten up, mate.

link   
I find it funny that while people were posting images backing Charlie Hebdo everyone got satire.

And yet when this issue is raised, suddenly they don't.

link   
a reply to: butcherguy

I don't think the OP is so dim to think that this thread would have went anywhere other than where it has. That is why I think it is a trolling thread.

Was Charlie Hebdo trolling?

Edit to add: jinx Nef
edit on 1/11/2015 by Spiramirabilis because: (no reason given)

link   
This thread has nothing to do with guns and gun owners, so why the hell are people blathering on and on about guns and gunowners ?

Bad analogy or not, the entire point of this thread was to draw attention to the delusional mindset of group think and illogical generalizing.

I don't agree with the OP's approach to the topic either... But rather than attacking his choice of analogies (irregardless of whether it was poor, good, comparable, not comparable, or otherwise), why not look beyond that and discuss the actual context at hand ?

The irony here is:

If there's one thing that was beneficial about the OP's poor choice of analogies, is that it showed just how deeply engrained the cherrypicking fallacy is with a portion of the ATS membership.

Meh, why bother.

Back to your regularly scheduled program of circular semantics and strawman arguments.

posted on Jan, 11 2015 @ 12:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: CharlieSpeirs
a reply to: Spiramirabilis

To be honest Spira I'm just messing with a bit of banter...
So be proud my friend

I have no doubt that the majority of my American cousins to get British humour...

& I meant no offence either, just thought I'd try and lighten up a quite hostile thread!

Good to know you feel a small minority of Americans don't "get Brit humour" means you should not disparage the entire population for the same "transgression". I mean, heaven forbid the folks that do get Brit humour stand up for the Brits to those radical extremist Americans that don't understand. It might lead to something like taking a Brit sitcom and rewriting it for an American audience....wait...ummmm...

DISCLAIMER: The above post is satire, for those that need a hammer to the skull to "get it".

posted on Jan, 11 2015 @ 12:44 PM
link   
a reply to: CranialSponge

And now we will get those posters claiming "Oh I knew it all along"....

posted on Jan, 11 2015 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Bad analogy or not, the entire point of this thread was to draw attention to the delusional mindset of group think and illogical generalizing.

It's only a bad analogy if you don't see that sometimes 2nd Amendment support in this country is also fervent ideology

posted on Jan, 11 2015 @ 12:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: CharlieSpeirs
Muslims to apologise for others short comings...
Peace to you Erik.

I think the real issue is you have a large number of extremist that are anti-all religions but their own, to the point they will wipe villages off the map, rape, pillage and plunder, destroy 5000 year old artifacts, shoot a room full of news people etc (real 13th century views) all in the name of Islam.

Then you have people like you that suggest it has very little to do with Islam....

Somewhere is the truth to all this and if you admit that there is a serious problem within the Muslim world, and don't down play it as if it is just a few who are like this, or suggest that these extremist are not actually Muslim, then that is all anyone really needs to hear.

I'll start.. The Branch Davidians were some really crazy MoFos and if there were 100,000s of them trying to bring the end of the world I would be right up front fighting them...

BTW not to start anything but to just get a feel, do you believe that Sharia law is the one true law of the land?

edit on 11-1-2015 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2015 @ 12:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Spiramirabilis

I don't think the OP is so dim to think that this thread would have went anywhere other than where it has. That is why I think it is a trolling thread.

Was Charlie Hebdo trolling?

Edit to add: jinx Nef

The French publisher certainly was trolling.
Thanks for backing me up!

posted on Jan, 11 2015 @ 12:48 PM
link   
To all the people congratulating the OP and patting themselves on the back for "getting it" why don't you try adding to the conversation instead of just "lol'ing" at everyone?

Bad satire is bad? If it needs a disclaimer you're not doing it right.

Like one person pointing out, the LEO/police force analogy would have been much better.

The truth is, can you blame people for feeling a certain way about any group when the media is pushing certain perceptions.

posted on Jan, 11 2015 @ 12:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: boymonkey74

And now we will get those posters claiming "Oh I knew it all along"....

So, now you are omniscient? Wow...I am honored even be in your presence. It must be stressful to know what everyone else thinks in here. So, tell me, what was I thinking when I read the OP? I truly would like to know.

< rolls eyes >

edit on 1/11/2015 by Krakatoa because: Fixed spelling and other fat-finger errors

posted on Jan, 11 2015 @ 12:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Krakatoa

Oh lighten up dude it is funny as a monkey playing a piano.

posted on Jan, 11 2015 @ 12:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

I know for a fact that there are people on ATS who think all Muslims should be wiped off the face of the earth. I don't know if any of them are on this thread though...

I also know that there have been several members of ATS who say that it is up to the peaceful Muslims to stand up in massive numbers against the extremists. They say that these peaceful Muslims should do whatever it takes to "root out" the extremists and turn them in. They say that if a peaceful Muslim does not publicly stand on a street corner and shout out their disgust with the extremists' action, then they probably secretly agree with what the extremist is doing. They say that the whole Muslim religion is a real problem (not even taking into account that it is the psychos that have hijacked the Muslim religion that are the real problem).

This type of thinking only fosters more distrust and more animosity towards a large group of people who haven't done anything and won't do anything to harm another. Rather than bringing us together to fight the good fight, it only separates us more and more.

Your joke about drinking tea and smoking a peace pipe with the peaceful Muslims is actually a really good idea.

posted on Jan, 11 2015 @ 12:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: boymonkey74
a reply to: Krakatoa

Oh lighten up dude it is funny as a monkey playing a piano.

Really? I don't "get it", why are monkeys funny? Is that a racially charged comment toward me?

DISCLAIMER: The poster obviously didn't "get it" and is an idiot for that I guess.

posted on Jan, 11 2015 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Well, in this particular instance - in this particular thread - it's a kinda a 2fer

That's the beauty of the whole thing

But, you're most welcome - if this pleases you

posted on Jan, 11 2015 @ 12:52 PM
link   
a reply to: zombicide83

You say potato...I say potato...

Splitting hairs about the choice of my anaology doesn't make the point any less valid, does it?

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join