It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gun owners - Have you apologised for a spree killing recently?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2015 @ 08:08 AM
link   
Edited by myself

edit on 1/11/2015 by semperfortis because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2015 @ 08:09 AM
link   
Well, I like the comparison. There are peaceful Muslims who practice Islam who do no harm to anyone, just like there are peaceful gun owners who shoot their guns in target practice, but do no harm to anyone. There are psychos who misuse the Muslim religion to do harm to others. There are psychos who misuse guns to do harm to others. In neither case should we demand a public apology from the peaceful folks who act responsibly. In neither case should we blame the peaceful folks for not stopping the psychos.

posted on Jan, 11 2015 @ 08:11 AM
link   
a reply to: neformore

But you didn't say that in the post that I replied to... Did you?

Anyway, the terrorists in France had guns... AND an ideology. Were they NRA members?

edit on bu312015-01-11T08:20:37-06:0008America/ChicagoSun, 11 Jan 2015 08:20:37 -06008u15 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2015 @ 08:16 AM
link   
We go on after the breweries apology for drunk people running down pedestrians and beating spouses, and the car manufactures apology over bad ignition switches and their part in tens of thousands of deaths a year by people wielding two ton motorized metal objects which seem to promote road rage.

We were scheduled after the pharm and insurance companies but we managed to get moved up when we found that they were doing a duet and planned on a 2 night event.

Gotta get by the store and pick up a couple of boxes of ammo and hit the range. Grab us of couple of beers from the cooler before ya climb up into the cab and we head for the store...

posted on Jan, 11 2015 @ 08:16 AM
link   

So, a disclaimer absolves you of responses contrary to your obvious views? I get the feeling of an obvious, intellectual superiority oozing from that OP. Surely, that was not the intend, was it not?

As for your implied logic on the situation, do you blame all car owners when someone else decides to drive his/her car into a crowd?

posted on Jan, 11 2015 @ 08:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: neformore
a reply to: butcherguy

The belief that people have a right to bear arms is an ideology.

ideology

1.the body of doctrine, myth, belief, etc., that guides an individual, social movement, institution, class, or large group.
2. such a body of doctrine, myth, etc., with reference to some political and social plan, as that of fascism, along with the devices for putting it into operation.

dictionary.reference.com...

The idea of the right to bear arms is based in the right to defend oneself.

Do you have the right to defend yourself?

posted on Jan, 11 2015 @ 08:19 AM
link   

Great thread Nef, sadly those most in need of understanding the point you're making, will ignore it and just scream about freedom!!

posted on Jan, 11 2015 @ 08:23 AM
link   
And still people don't get the thread lol.
Priceless :-D
Gonna sit back and enjoy the show.

posted on Jan, 11 2015 @ 08:23 AM
link   
a reply to: eriktheawful

Anything can be a tool. Faith or ideology is a tool for some, in order to get through life. People use their faith all the time to make it through adversity, like a terminal illness. If you use something to help you with a challenge or problem, then it's a tool. Not a physical tool, but a tool nonetheless. You can also use a tool to do harm to others. Religion has been used by bad people to do harm to or to control others since religion has been around. I firmly believe that these bad people aren't even truly religious - religion is just a convenient tool for them to control others.

posted on Jan, 11 2015 @ 08:27 AM
link   
Yea ,it's like a freedom of expression thing using satire to get someones goad . It worked too ,as it should have . a reply to: ColCurious

posted on Jan, 11 2015 @ 08:30 AM
link   
As soon as I read it I got it and gave the two thumbs up in anticipation as to what would probably follow .OP did not fail in that respect .sit back and enjoy and look for the lesson I guess . a reply to: boymonkey74

posted on Jan, 11 2015 @ 08:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin
[I doubt there is a single gun advocate who would not say that Sandy hook was a deplorable act.

Yeah ... that pretty much kills the supposed analogy/satire.
Apples to oranges. It doesn't work.

posted on Jan, 11 2015 @ 09:15 AM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

And what are the gun advocates doing about stopping another Sandy Hook from happening? I demand that they do something to stop it - now. Find the crazies before they shoot anyone else and bring them to justice. Root them out and turn them in. It's the gun advocates' responsibility to do this, since it was guns that were used to do so much harm.

posted on Jan, 11 2015 @ 09:25 AM
link   
a reply to: eriktheawful

Of course the comparison is misleading!

Simple minds wouldn't care though... THAT IS the dangerous part about generalization / guilt by association, and the OP did an excellent job making that point.

Are there better / other examples? Sure!

How about not all Christians are pedophiles.
Not all Jews are zionist.
Not all Black people are criminals.
Not all Cops are murderers.
Not all US Americans are PNAC-fascists.
Not all Germans are Nazis.
Not all Greeks are corrupt.

Just like not all Muslims are terrorists... or not all ATS'ers are paranoid...

edit on 11-1-2015 by ColCurious because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2015 @ 09:25 AM
link   

Disclaimer : This post is topical satire. Its aimed at trying to stimulate some deeper thinking on a particular subject. Its not meant as a slight against anyone personally. Its a parallel. I can guarantee that probably 50% of the posters who reply to this OP will not read this disclaimer.

Forget the disclaimer! I want answers! No - seriously - how is this not a legitimate question?

:-)

Grinning from ear to ear...

posted on Jan, 11 2015 @ 09:26 AM
link   
As deep satire...I'm not sure I get it, but I'm game?

Car owners - Have you apologized for a multi-car pileup recently?

Peanut growers - Have you apologized for a spate of anaphylactic reactions recently?

Laptop owners - Have you apologized for a DDoS attack recently?

posted on Jan, 11 2015 @ 09:29 AM
link   

Find the crazies before they shoot anyone else

We've been asked to watch our neighbors and report them if they seem suspicious. You can also report them if you just don't like them. Nothing puts a smile on your face like DHS agents at your wacko neighbor's door.

www.dhs.gov...

posted on Jan, 11 2015 @ 09:32 AM
link   

Laptop owners - Have you apologized for a DDoS attack recently?

Credit where credit is due

Home router owners - Have you apologized for a DDoS attack recently?

posted on Jan, 11 2015 @ 09:34 AM
link   

People also use their guns to kill bad people, does that make them a hero?

While I wont apologize to the human race for anything another member of society has done, I will give a shout out and apologize to all animals who have been poached or killed for sport.

I'm so sorry.

posted on Jan, 11 2015 @ 09:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: eisegesis
... I will give a shout out and apologize to all animals who have been poached or killed for sport.

It seems some people enjoy seeing the head of a dead deer hanging on their wall. Not sure why.

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join