It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gun owners - Have you apologised for a spree killing recently?

page: 23
<< 20  21  22    24  25  26 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2015 @ 04:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aliian

originally posted by: NavyDoc

originally posted by: Aliian

originally posted by: Sremmos80
a reply to: Jamie1

It is about blaming the many for the actions of the few.

E PLURIBUS UNUM

Out of many come the few.

Without the many, the few would not exist.

Without gun owners, there would be no gun killers.

Well, at least we have a taker.

It is illogical to blame someone for the acts of a total stranger, be they Muslim, a gun owner, gay, or whatever.

By your logic, you are part of the "gun problem" because you buy gas that gives taxes to make the roads that the mass shooters drive on to get to the place of doing the shooting.

Guilt by association indeed.

No. The same reason that police go after "thepiratebay.org" but not "google.com", when both sites allow people to search for illegal content on the Internet, is the same reason we go after "gun owners" but not "gas stations" nor "gas buyers." One has a narrow focus that is directly related to the problem, while the other has a broad focus proving it's not specifically part of the problem.

A law abiding citizen is NOT the problem. If you are going to paint with a broad brush, you might as well as go all the way. What you are proposing is going after the guy who lives near the bank rather than the bank robber himself.

posted on Jan, 12 2015 @ 04:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: neformore
Why aren't the gun community doing anything?

I cant tell if this is a joke, a troll, or a trick question.
Do you expect gun owners to suit up and do battle with ISIS?
Cant believe the nerve of some people.

posted on Jan, 12 2015 @ 04:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80
a reply to: Jamie1

It's not about guns or gun owners at all.
It is just that people see a convo that looks like a gun control one and see red.

It is about blaming the many for the actions of the few.

The terrorists who killed 132 school children in Pakistan and 18 in Paris were gun owners.

Their reason for committing mass murders are based on their Islamic religious beliefs. Many others around the world, in many different countries, share the same Islamic religious beliefs, and kill people who don't share their beliefs.

I blame them and those who support them, both explicitly and implicitly.

posted on Jan, 12 2015 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Satire or not...For anyone towing the line against citizens owning guns....IMO, the incident in france goes to show how useless the argument is against disarmament of the people in any country....There is no counter debate in my eyes....what would be next? What is the anti-gun movements suggestion on how that issue could have been avoided...? I'm sure I would laugh at it, but I would love to hear it

edit on 12-1-2015 by wyrmboy12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2015 @ 09:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok

Man Americans are so easy to bait

originally posted by: mikegrouchy

Then it has finally happened.
Americans have turned the corner.
Like a mad dog, they can no longer tell friend from foe.
We now enter the most dangerous period in the history of Earth.

Mike Grouchy

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

No, you just don't recognize well played satire. Satire has existed forever, and it takes a smart thinking person to get it.

Can someone draw me a picture?

Mike Grouchy

posted on Jan, 12 2015 @ 09:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: wyrmboy12
Satire or not...For anyone towing the line against citizens owning guns....IMO, the incident in france goes to show how useless the argument is against disarmament of the people in any country....There is no counter debate in my eyes....what would be next? What is the anti-gun movements suggestion on how that issue could have been avoided...? I'm sure I would laugh at it, but I would love to hear it

France has the most privately owned guns of any European nation.

www.gunpolicy.org...

There are 31 guns for every 100 people in France.

Please educate yourself before spouting rhetoric.

posted on Jan, 12 2015 @ 11:03 PM
link   
The individual who posted this is just as much of an extremist as the assholes who ran around France killing innocent people with fire arms. It takes a truly ignorant mind to not realize no matter how many gun laws are put in place crazy people with the intent to kill will find a means to do so no matter what. Honestly we need laws in place to single out crazies like who ever posted this thread and make sure they cant have even a butter knife because your just that far out of the realm of reality.

posted on Jan, 12 2015 @ 11:49 PM
link   
a reply to: VibratoryAgent

I think you should read the thread again....

posted on Jan, 12 2015 @ 11:55 PM
link   
I did just for you man but I stick with what I said. This persons opinion is troublesome. a reply to: boymonkey74

posted on Jan, 12 2015 @ 11:58 PM
link   
"The problem is that people with guns kill people. And the gun community isn't doing anything about it."

anyone who believes this is bad # crazy because their putting everyone who owns a gun in the same group. This is clearly a hate fueled opinion.

posted on Jan, 13 2015 @ 12:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: neformore
Gun owners and advocates of the second amendment.

You believe in a right to bear arms - namely that individuals have the right to own a weapon if they wish to.

The constituton of the USA specifically covers such in the second amendment, and other countries round the world also have similar laws allowing the posession of weapons.

In the US, gun advocacy is rife with various pressure groups and organisations exist solely with the viewpoint of protecting the right to bear arms - the NRA comes to mind but there are, I believe, smaller groups.

The problem is that people with guns kill people. And the gun community isn't doing anything about it.

When was the last time you saw a mass rally by gun advocates such as the NRA protesting a spree killing?

When was the last time a gun owner apologised to you personally for the actions of others of their ilk?

Why haven't the majority of gun advocates stood up and done something about the spree killings, weeded out these extremist spree killers before they've struck and got rid of them?

When will gun owners reform their views that everyone has the right to bear a weapon, and change the writen advocacy of such, and their enshrined laws? They obviously don't care or they'd have done something about it by now. They probably secretly support the spree killings don't they?

Why aren't the gun community doing anything?

Disclaimer : This post is topical satire. Its aimed at trying to stimulate some deeper thinking on a particular subject. Its not meant as a slight against anyone personally. Its a parallel. I can guarantee that probably 50% of the posters who reply to this OP will not read this disclaimer.

What an ignorance laden post. No offence, but really?
You are comparing gun owners-mass shootings to Islam-terrorism? WOW. Do you by chance work for a large media organization? Because that's the sort of biased, one sided, unintelligent gibberish nonsense that the media spew everyday.

First of all, Islam it self is a political ideology masquerading as a religion, that was spread by a man and his followers with the use of FEAR, TERROR and EXTREME VIOLENCE AND PREJUDICE against those who didn't adhere to Islam. They even turned their violence against other Muslims. Which baffles me why people are so shocked today when a Muslim commits an act of terrorism.

Gun ownership does not make you part of some political ideology or religion that was spread by mass shootings and massacres.
I use my gun for hunting as a recreational activity.
I store my gun according to the law, as well as ammunition I may have.
I maintain my firearms license, and registration on my firearm.

Your analogy is stupidity beyond imagination.

Are you going to start a thread asking people who own kitchen knives?
How about baseball bats?
I know heaps of people who go camping and have machetes. I own a few too. Maybe we need to apologize since some people have used machetes to kill people?

Maybe according to you all black people should apologize as well since most gun crime and gun murders are committed by young black males?

What a dumb analogy. 50+ stars for that bulldust? Wow. How far ATS has fallen over the past decade.

posted on Jan, 13 2015 @ 03:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv

Yes. I worry about this too. I don't worry about the religion. The religion is not the problem.

First of all, and like always a disclaimer. i don't believe all Muslim people are bad. But I also don't shy away from facts.

The first big wars the United States had to get into not long after becoming a nation was unfortunately with Muslim nations who were using piracy with the consent of their governments to attack, rob, take slaves and even kill people in merchant and passenger ships coming from Europe to the U.S., and going to Europe.

In 1785 Thomas Jefferson and John Adams went to London to try to negotiate with Tripoli's envoy and try to end these attacks on merchant and passenger ships bound to Europe and the U.S. The American founding fathers enquired Tripoli's envoy about ""concerning the ground of the pretensions to make war upon nations who had done them no injury".

To this Tripoli's envoy replied.

It was written in their Koran, that all nations which had not acknowledged the Prophet were sinners, whom it was the right and duty of the faithful to plunder and enslave; and that every mussulman who was slain in this warfare was sure to go to paradise. He said, also, that the man who was the first to board a vessel had one slave over and above his share, and that when they sprang to the deck of an enemy's ship, every sailor held a dagger in each hand and a third in his mouth; which usually struck such terror into the foe that they cried out for quarter at once.[21]

en.wikipedia.org...

Two wars ensued due to these Muslim nations who kept attacking merchant and passenger ships. The wars were called the Barbary Wars.

The U.S. Marine corps' hymn commemorates these wars.

"From the Halls of Montezuma, to the shores of Tripoli, we will fight our country's battles in the air, on land and sea. First to fight for right and freedom and to keep our honor clean. We are proud to claim the title of United States Marine.

Our flag's unfurled to every breeze from dawn to setting sun. We have fought in every clime and place where we could take a gun. In the snow of far-off Northern lands and in sunny tropic scenes. You will find us always on the job
The United States Marines.

Here's health to you and to our Corps which we are proud to serve. In many a strife we've fought for life and never lost our nerve.

If the Army and the Navy ever look on Heaven's scenes. They will find the streets are guarded by United States Marines."

When it mentions the shores of Tripoli, that's the section referring to the Barbary wars.

edit on 13-1-2015 by ElectricUniverse because: add comment.

posted on Jan, 13 2015 @ 03:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: mortex

Are you going to start a thread asking people who own kitchen knives?
How about baseball bats?
I know heaps of people who go camping and have machetes. I own a few too. Maybe we need to apologize since some people have used machetes to kill people?

That bit ^^^^^^ up there is exactly the point.

The OP knows it is ridiculous to ask gun owners to accept responsibility of the actions of a few deranged individuals who go on a shooting spree.

I cant understand how so many people on here can see that it would be ridiculous to ask people who own kitchen knives to apologize for incidents of stabbing, or to use your analogy, ask you, as a machete owner to apologize for a person hacking another to death, and yet fail to see that this is exactly the point that the OP is making using gun ownership.

The thread is not about guns. The thread is not equating gun ownership with Islam.

The thread is pointing out that so many threads ask why all muslims seem to be being held accountable for the actions of a deranged few, and lambasted for not immediately taking to the streets in protest and organizing a man hunt for the individual perpetrating these horrendous acts of violence.

The OP could just have easily have stated that any man, with a functioning penis that does not immediately, loudly and publicly denounce rape every-time one occurs, must secretly think rape is OK. Obviously any right thinking male knows rape is wrong, should we all have to say so every time in happens?

Or, to remain on a religious theme, any christian that does not denounce the Old Testament, is equally responsible and supportive of Islamic terror as any jihadist, as its old testament teaching that these jihadist are adhering to.

Modern muslims are similar to modern christians. While both accept the Old Testament as the foundation of their religious beliefs, both also follow the teaching of later, more moderate prophets.

(Just to Add - I do not care if any reader believes that a specific prophet is more or less tolerant, or is the son of god, or any of that religious NLBS, and not interested in getting into a religious debate here (another thread maybe
) )
edit on 13-1-2015 by idmonster because: missing quote

posted on Jan, 13 2015 @ 03:52 AM
link   
And the irony is that each new post pointing out with furious anger why it is a stupid analogy, reinforces why it was a perfect analogy to draw.

The pro gun advocates are so righteous in their indignation that they are blind to the satire and unable to spot that the idiocy of the message IS the message and IS the satire.

It hit the bullseye.

posted on Jan, 13 2015 @ 04:38 AM
link   
It's hillarious. I am about as pro 2nd as you can get, and I get it totally. I was just reading an article on "reason", supposedly a libertarian-based following there, about high profile muslims speaking out agasint terrorism. A majority of the comments are saying they are just lieing to spread islam. Damned if they do, damned if they don't. I wouldn't even bother if it was me, people are still gonna keep the blinders of hate on regardless, why expend the energy to appease morons?

posted on Jan, 13 2015 @ 05:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: waynos
And the irony is that each new post pointing out with furious anger why it is a stupid analogy, reinforces why it was a perfect analogy to draw.

The pro gun advocates are so righteous in their indignation that they are blind to the satire and unable to spot that the idiocy of the message IS the message and IS the satire.

It hit the bullseye.

Bull____ what? SATIRE requires more than a single subject, it needs something else to juxtapose or make comparisons with. Spree killings, the 2nd Amendment and gun owners are mentioned in the OP. Now, where does the OP mention Muslims? Nowhere. There have been plenty of spree killings recently, not just in Paris but in NYC and Nigeria. Since the OP does not specify we have nothing to compare gun owners with.

It is a rant, misplaced in the GWOT with a satirical disclaimer slapped on it that serves no purpose other than to alleviate the OP from taking a position on the subject. It would be far less disingenuous to simply write an anti-gun thread and plainly make it so.

The biggest irony here is that anyone thinks this is satire.

edit on 13-1-2015 by Asktheanimals because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2015 @ 05:25 AM
link   
a reply to: Asktheanimals
It's a whole lot deeper satire than that #hole rag, charlie hebdo.

posted on Jan, 13 2015 @ 05:32 AM
link   
a reply to: mortex

Someone got there panties in a twist.

Its funny this thread got a more violent reaction from gun owners than the mo mo cartoons got from ats resident muslims.

Maybe im not worshiping my own gun enough or the gun cleaning fluid in the states has something in it that destroys brain cells

edit on 13-1-2015 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2015 @ 06:16 AM
link   

Satire should not need to explain itself. Not the OP's fault that you don't see or agree with it. Thanks for reinforcing the point

posted on Jan, 13 2015 @ 06:28 AM
link   

I personally think OP set a bit of a trap. Whether it was intentional or not, I don't know. What made it so funny was to see the outraged comments from the very same people who were claiming on the Muslim threads that all the peaceful Muslims should be responsible for the extremist terrorists. It was funny seeing them post the exact same things that those of us defending the peaceful Muslims were saying.

I don't know whether that is considered true satire or not, but it sure made me laugh.

top topics

<< 20  21  22    24  25  26 >>

join