It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SAS rushed in to guard our streets as Al Qaeda warns 'you're next'

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2015 @ 05:15 AM
link   
This morning this report from the Express on Sunday is doing its rounds on the internet.

The elite Special Forces have joined counter-terror police and 1,900 Army personnel in the biggest security operation since the 2012 London Olympics.

The news comes as Al Qaeda warned that France was only its third preferred target after Britain and the US.

Link

How accurate this report is, I do not know as the Express is not always the most reliable source and they have a habit of publishing everything they can about UK Special Forces. However this report is very interesting and fits in with reports form the head of MI5 regarding the increasing threat that the UK is facing from trained Jihadists returning from Syria and Iraq, our police are not trained to fight trained paramilitaries our Special Forces are. In fact the Head of MI5 just this week warned that there was a increasing thread to the UK and that a "mass-casualty attack" could take place in the future.

Indeed all week we have seen reports in the press in the UK regarding this increase in the threat, however the UK threat level remains at "Sever", the second highest. A move up to the highest threat level, Critical, would suggest that the intelligence services had intelligence that a attack was imminent, it will be interesting to see if the threat level changes in the next few days with this news in mind.

The Article goes on to report that about 30 SAS troopers are being deployed to assist police and to promote coordination between the police and Special Forces however in addition to this it also reports that 120 members of the SBS have also been deployed to protect our ports. They have said that this is the biggest security operation since the 2012 Olympics, yet there is no direct threat above the usual Al-Qa'ia and extremist rhetoric.

It is also interesting to note that today the Sun (another tabloid rag) is running with a similar story on its front page today saying that the SAS are actually creating a new domestic counter-terrorism force led by them but working in conjunction with the police and other law enforcement agencies.

As such it could be that the Express is mealy just reporting the same story but with some added scaremongering. Regardless if either of these reports are to be believed they do suggest the SAS are becoming ever more involved in policing terrorism. Something I do not feel entirely comfortable with.

posted on Jan, 11 2015 @ 05:39 AM
link   
Pffth.. .let the fanatics try .. will send them to meet their diety of choice..
theyll learn same lesson charlie .. the khmer rouge.. and others over the years learned..
not all of us live in fear ..

If its just coming out in the press now you can bet theyve been coordinating and training the police for a few years now ..
edit on 11/1/15 by Expat888 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2015 @ 05:39 AM
link   

Regardless if either of these reports are to be believed they do suggest the SAS are becoming ever more involved in policing terrorism. Something I do not feel entirely comfortable with.

............and you are not entirely comfortable with that! Why?

Jane

posted on Jan, 11 2015 @ 05:47 AM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

Here is some info about terror alerts world wide...www.steningsimpson.com.au...

I strongly feel that we all need to stock up on extra supplies (enough for at least 2 weeks)...watch our backs at all times...look out for our neighbors...and pray.

posted on Jan, 11 2015 @ 05:48 AM
link   
I feel these stories are purely scare mongering.

But if there is an element of truth to them, I fear a militarisation of our police forces. Especially so if - God forbid - an attack did occur.

posted on Jan, 11 2015 @ 05:52 AM
link   
a reply to: angelchemuel

Maybe because the SAS corps is a unit of the British Army?

You see no problem with the military doing police work on your streets?

(btw I'm old enough to remember the SAS was used against terrorism within the UK before...)

posted on Jan, 11 2015 @ 05:58 AM
link   
a reply to: ColCurious

So am I old enough, and a good job they were used in that Iranian siege.....and no I don't have a problem with the SAS raising the standards of our police force.

Jane

posted on Jan, 11 2015 @ 05:58 AM
link   
a reply to: Kram09

I agree.

If the goal was to prevent small-scale attacks by radicals returning from the sandbox - the most efficient way would be to simply prevent them from returning.
(The recent french attacks could have been prevented like that by the way, since the terrorists were known and "observed")

Unless for some sinister reason someone wants those attacks to occur...
edit on 11-1-2015 by ColCurious because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2015 @ 06:00 AM
link   

............and you are not entirely comfortable with that! Why?

Because, if you read the article there is even talk of the SAS guys putting on police uniforms

this merger with police and military is the rocky road to having a military police force

The police are "good" (well that is a different debate) at what they do, hunting down and tracking criminals including terrorists.

the SAS are a totally different outfit, they are not for law enforcement, they are the hammer.

posted on Jan, 11 2015 @ 06:02 AM
link   

Well, maybe this is a German thing then.

I, for one, am vehemently against the use of our military for policing our streets. Didn't go very well in our past.

posted on Jan, 11 2015 @ 06:02 AM
link   

If Al Qaeda wish to fight then why don't they Man up and come at us like proper soldiers, that's if they think there hard enough!

There nothing but cowardly swine!

edit on 11-1-2015 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2015 @ 06:03 AM
link   
Whatever your prejudice, there's no denying that 22nd reg is the best crw and cqb organisation we have.
It would be foolish not to use them.

Don't misunderstand though, they won't be on street corners holding a rifle, they're more likely to be split into teams spread around the country to provide a rapid reaction to any particular incident.
SO19 are good, but 22 are the masters.

posted on Jan, 11 2015 @ 06:04 AM
link   
We had years of IRA bombings that didn't terrorise us,this new lot won't change that

Anyway I bet most plots will get stopped,our intel spooks are at the highest chain of command giving down the orders these brainwashed individuals follow and have no knowledge who their master is or who benefits from these attacks

posted on Jan, 11 2015 @ 06:05 AM
link   

So am I old enough, and a good job they were used in that Iranian siege

I absolutely agree, they done a good job during Nimrod, just like they did at Peterhead prison and after the 7/7 attacks.

But during those incidents the police were still very much in charge of the situation, if you look at how the chain of command works in these situations direct command to the military is only given under the authorisation of a elected official and only for a very short period of time.

and no I don't have a problem with the SAS raising the standards of our police force.

And neither do I, the SAS regularly train with members of SCO 19 and the Mod Police for example and pass on skills to them that raises the standards of our police's ability to deal with terrorist threats.

But that is not the same as actually having the SAS becoming integrated with the police for day to day operational support.

The SAS should only be used by the police as a last resort.

posted on Jan, 11 2015 @ 06:07 AM
link   
a reply to: ColCurious

Germany has gsg9 to handle situations like that .. though from what remember not wise to tangle with polizei they hire walking mountains for the job ..

posted on Jan, 11 2015 @ 06:07 AM
link   
It would appear ISIS just werent really doing it on the Fear Factor front so they have ressurected Al Qaeda 2!, Return of the Killer Al Qaeda DUN DUN DUN.

Didnt think we had the money to covertly fund two terrorist armies at one time, if my taxes go up to cover the cost of the PR campaign ill be fuming mad. Just not mad enough to quit my job and no longer be part of the machine though
, but still, angry forum post mad!!!

posted on Jan, 11 2015 @ 06:09 AM
link   
a reply to: SprocketUK

Don't misunderstand though, they won't be on street corners holding a rifle, they're more likely to be split into teams spread around the country to provide a rapid reaction to any particular incident. SO19 are good, but 22 are the masters.

Actually, there is already a small contingent of CRW guys based in London for that very reason and have been for since after 7/7 but they can only be called on with the consent of the incident Gold commander or higher. There is almost no public information on this small unit.

posted on Jan, 11 2015 @ 06:11 AM
link   

The SAS are trained to save innocent lives and take out the terrorists as was clearly demonstrated with the Iranian siege.

If I was stuck in the Trafford centre or its ilk in a hostage situation, I would be relieved if the SAS came in, at least I would know I was probably going to survive and not have some armed policeman not skilled enough to sort out the situation.

@ColCurious......the SAS might be military, but they are a small elite group...hardly what you would call having the military patrolling civvy street.

Jane

posted on Jan, 11 2015 @ 06:13 AM
link   

It's a rotation, different troops are in place at different times.
That's how they keep everyone sharp.

I really don't have a problem. It's not as if they'll be called in to take down a shoplifter or something.

posted on Jan, 11 2015 @ 06:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Expat888

The GSG9 is BPOL though. They are police.
The equivalent would be KSK - and they are not allowed to do police work up until the point where all civil policing capabilities are exhausted. And for good reason.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join