It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

All Over America, Government Officials Are Cracking Down On Preppers

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2015 @ 05:23 PM
link   
First of all it's not illegal to collect rain water in Oregon. Never said it was. I have myself 4 55gal drums for water, why? Because I have no well (if I did I wouldn't waste my time with fetching or collecting) so my house pump draws from that. That's 220 gals of water which is plenty for a few days depending on washer and shower usage. I take 2 barrels to town and fill those to refill the 2 that the pump actually draws from. So reality is 110 gals. I have not set up rain gutters yet also do not have a stream that runs through my property or you can bet I'd be filling from that. So I'm definitely not against collection of rain water or stream water. But the way some posters act like every man,women, and child in the whole world should be able to store 13,000,000 gallons of water while damming up stream run offs to do so would be insanely disastrous to our environment. Like I said before all this guy had to do was get a permit to do so showing a need for it. Not just because he feels like it or feels its his right to do whatever he want on his own property. The law is there because water resources belong to the citizens, ie. Everybody. You don't want Nestle bottling up all the water in the world so they can profit by selling it to you do you? That's exactly what would happen if these laws weren't their. I can't believe this is so hard for people to wrap their brains around. Good grief. I'm just being trolled here ain't I? Lol. Good one, you're very funny.
Let me put it this way. Say I lived down stream from this guy and you lived down stream from me. We both got water from the stream for drinking and to water our gardens and livestock. One day the stream ran dry. You'd be coming upstream to ask me WTH! I'd be like I don't know, let's go upstream to try to figure it out. We would come up to this guy with his 13,000,000 gallon pond, we both be saying to him WTH man our gardens and livestock are dying and we'll soon die ourselves with no food or water. He would say sorry to hear that but it's my land and I'll do what I want besides in a few years when my lake is full you'll have water again. Now I have to ask you, is that acceptable scenario?
I don't agree with government making people remove their gardens and such nonsense. Also feel that you should be able to catch rain water or pull from a stream run in self sufficient quantities as to survive.
Last time I checked you're still free to get a petition and gather sufficient signatures to have the law put before your state legislators for a vote or if it's a local law then then address it in a similar fashion. Or you could just bitch at me on ATS and accomplish nothing. The later seems to be much easier to most here though.
edit on 11-1-2015 by Nonameworks because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2015 @ 11:11 PM
link   
a reply to: andr3w68

because it's apparently the property of someone else...

as in someone owns the right to any rain that falls in an area.

it's like how a lot of homeowners don't own mineral rights to their property.

posted on Jan, 11 2015 @ 11:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: AK907ICECOLD

originally posted by: Irishhaf

Stupid officials unable to use common sense should keep their jobs.

Huh? You mean "poop to scoop", right

interesting.

posted on Jan, 12 2015 @ 12:02 AM
link   
a reply to: Silicis n Volvo

That is one of the most offensive misrepresentation of Pastor Niemöller's words I have ever read.

Gun owners are the oppressors.

posted on Jan, 12 2015 @ 12:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Nonameworks

Well, since you put it that way.... The water collected in this case was not part of a stream but was made up of rain and snow runoff. I included the link to the link you provided where it states this further down the article... and he did seek permits originally, they revoked them. He tried to work within the system

Apparently, once upon a time, the state did indeed allow Harrington — code name: “Rain Man" — to collect water in his reservoirs. However, officials reversed their decision the same year, 2003, that the three permits were issued, citing a 1925 law that states the city of Medford holds all exclusive rights to "core sources of water" in the Big Butte Creek watershed and its tributaries.

Despite withdrawal of the permits, Harrington kept on defiantly collectin’ under the belief that the laws did not apply to his situation, adamant that the water was coming strictly from rain and snow melt and not from tributaries flowing into the Big Butte River as officials had claimed. Harrington tells CNSNews.com: "They issued me my permits. I had my permits in hand and they retracted them just arbitrarily, basically. They took them back and said, 'No, you can't have them.' So I've been fighting it ever since."

Read more: www.mnn.com...

Conclusion: The city owns the rights to the water that eventually would flow to their water supply and therefore the city owns the rain and snow, with the exception of what can be gathered on a manmade surface such as roof.

If I want to make a pond on my land, or three large ones, and stock fish or just look at it for fun... it is my business... if I build a big dam and it breaks, it is also my responsibility to pay for any damages I have caused. If I had over 100 acres, which he did, I would definitely have at least 1 large pond.
edit on 12-1-2015 by Volund because: added permit info

posted on Jan, 12 2015 @ 09:57 AM
link   
a reply to: Volund
I do see you point. Often though aquifers are likened to underground streams. I was just trying to bring to light the info that was left out. Making it seem like its against the people. I see as protection of others right to water as well. Just not a one sided story here for sure as the op in my opinion was trying to portray. If I lived in a state that started to take away my rights to live freely I'd fight back also. I'd try to have the oppressive laws revoked which there seems to be lots of in America nowdays. If that didn't work I'd consider selling out and take my hard working butt and income elsewhere. Certainly thankful I live in Alaska. Unless you live in Anchorage, AK there's still freedom to be had and many natural ponds and lakes. Though some years that's not always good. Mosquitoes are horrendous nuisances and health concern. Summer 2013 you could not find any mosquito repellent anywhere.

posted on Jan, 13 2015 @ 05:44 AM
link   
We have the same laws here in Australia. The law simply says you are not allowed to dam a waterway. Exactly what a waterway is has not been defined, I believe that definition will be sorted out when the OWG takes over all food production.

But on the upside, the state of Oregon has made a precedent now that you can use to prove they own all the rainwater that falls from the sky. So next time heavy rains floods your property, washes away your driveway or ruins your garden, dont forget to send the state a bill for fixing the problem their rainwater caused.

posted on Jan, 13 2015 @ 07:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: Astyanax
a reply to: Silicis n Volvo

That is one of the most offensive misrepresentation of Pastor Niemöller's words I have ever read.

Gun owners are the oppressors.

You're offended by my post? Well I couldn't care less.

I believe the world is lacking people of the thick skinned variety. Too many whiners around who are offended by everything.

I misrepresented nothing.

As for gun owners being the oppressors? You're entitled to believe that

You'd be wrong. But still entitled.

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 02:27 PM
link   
I don't think I've seen a case yet of the government actually targeting someone for being a prepper. Instead, there is usually some serious law being broken instead (even in the water case, i.e. 13 million gallons, etc.).

Usually, it's more of the homemade explosives variety, or illegal weapons, etc. route.

Avoid all that, and should be fine. Also helps not to exactly shout it from the rooftops what you're doing.....or talk to some undercover agent about how you want to bring down the government.

I don't want to bring anything down. I just want to be more self sufficient, and if something does disrupt our lives, be able to ride it out for a good long bit, in a comfortable manner.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join