It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Squatters Rights and Home Ownership

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 08:54 PM
link   
My sister owns a house with a well, and she provides water to the property next door. The owner of the other property passed away, and the property sat empty for a few months, so my sister turned off the water. Then homeless people decided to make it their home. So, they got the electric turned on in their name, and they have mail delivery. One has legally registered himself with that address as a registered sex offender. Im telling you, these people have moved in. They've never asked for the water to be turned on.

A couple of weeks ago, she heard her well turning on all night, she thought she left a hose on, but she discovered that the neighbors had turned the water back on. So, she turned it off, and they turned it on, back and forth. They were caught climbing over her fence etc. Now, she wouldnt really mind if they lived there, but she doesnt want to pay for the electric to run her pump all the time. And one is a registered sex offender (per the sheriff) and there are regular camp fires with several homeless gathered around the fire. And she is in her 60s single and has been broken into a few times. So, yes we know she needs to move. But she cant.
So, she called the sheriff, and they came out, several times, the officer told her that there is another $400.000 home that has been moved into, and there is nothing they can do, their hands are tied. blah blah blah, so, to make a long story short:

They dont have to move out. If they pay the property taxes they will be able to file for legal ownership of the property in 5 years. Only an owner can throw them out, and there isnt any. Denying them water is the only legal leverage she has. And denying someone water, is kinda evil, so she has a moral issue, but she really does need them to move. Any ideas?

However, in my quest to help my sister with this, I found something that might benefit someone:

I looked up the property and found that it is currently $818 behind on its property tax. But, I realized in my search that there were several properties behind on taxes. I also noticed that they were purchased many years ago, and were probably paid off. I used the tax collector website and found the property address', and since my 17 yr old needs driving practice, we sat out to find out if they were occupied, and indeed several are just sitting there, empty, and boarded up. So, I took the name off the property tax deliquent roll, and used the Social Security Death Index and searched their names, and sure enough several have passed away.

Anyway, if you know anyone having housing issues, you might want to check out the tax rolls for empty properties in your area. The county is just going to sell them for back taxes. If I didnt own my own home, I would be seriously looking. Because, the police can not make these people budge. And they are going to own that home, and live there rent free. And of course check your local laws, Im in California, it could be different elsewhere, and I wouldnt want anyone in jail.

Just be nice to the neighbors, start watering the yard, cleaning up, and the neighbors are just glad to get rid of an eyesore. Real people Win!!!

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 09:02 PM
link   
a reply to: misskat1

This isn't the America I grew up in. And now you advise people to get a free house yourself?? Sorry, think I threw up in my mouth a little.

If it was my neighbors house squatters were in and they came and turned MY well water on, they would only do it once.

There are a few ways to deter that that I wont mention here.

Just be nice to the neighbors, start watering the yard, cleaning up, and the neighbors are just glad to get rid of an eyesore. Real people Win!!!

You really think squatters are going to come in and 'spiff' up the neighborhood??? Real people win?

What has happened to people? right is wrong, wrong is right. I want off this rock.
edit on 1 10 2015 by stosh64 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 09:02 PM
link   
Wow! I've heard of people buying properties for back taxes, but they didn't squat there beforehand.

Do the deceased neighbors have Title Insurance and have left a Power of Attorney to someone in their family I wonder?

This is the reason to have a Will and the above mentioned. This is terrible. But, it seems that they should not be getting free water as well. Just my opinion.

edit on 10-1-2015 by DaphneApollo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 09:06 PM
link   
a reply to: stosh64

No, Im not aspiring to get a free house, I have a house. However, I wouldnt judge anyone else looking to get out of the cold.

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 09:11 PM
link   
a reply to: DaphneApollo

We have tried to contact the heirs. Including having the Mortuary call who ever handled the funeral to get them to call my sister. The police tried that too, still no reply. So, I have no idea, except the officer said that they will have every right to take legal title in 5 years, if they can prove they lived there and have paid property taxes.

Its crazy I had no idea you could do such a thing,

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 09:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: misskat1

No, Im not aspiring to get a free house, I have a house. However, I wouldnt judge anyone else looking to get out of the cold.

Go to a shelter, don't break into some persons property. There is so much wrong with this.

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 09:16 PM
link   
If they're paying the taxes on the house, they can pay for their water, too. There's no excuse to steal it from someone else in this case if they're legally trying to claim the house through paying the taxes on it. They got money coming from somewhere to pay the taxes, thus they can cover a water bill, no?

In short, tell your sister to find a way to shore up her pump & prevent them from turning it on. I also assume it's hooked up to that house? Unhook it. Now. BEFORE they turn into leeching neighbors from hell.

Edit: The fact that they're trespassing to turn the well on makes me think she may want to press trespassing charges as well. Letting them keep doing these things without repercussion on & with someone else's property has the potential to blow up in her face if left unchecked.
edit on 1/10/2015 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 09:19 PM
link   

The property next to my sisters, isnt owned by anyone. He left no heirs. No mortgage, no one is going to care about this. The property taxes are going to go unpaid, until the county takes it over and sells it for back taxes.

This is what the sheriff said. These people are not taking anyones property. There is no owner.

I would never advocate stealing someones property, ever. And Im clearly not saying that in my OP.

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 09:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: stosh64

originally posted by: misskat1

Go to a shelter, don't break into some persons property. There is so much wrong with this.

I have to agree here. Pony up the taxes owed and buy the house. Many can be bought for incredibly cheap, but it can be a cutthroat bargain hunter business depending on demand.
But don't squat, just don't.

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 09:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

Good advice. She is having the water capped. She is having security cameras installed, so she can catch them. However, the officer told her that one of the people living there has warrants, but if he arrested him he would be out in 45 minutes, so it was pointless.
I live in Anderson Ca, its number 5 on the FBI city crime stats. Just 2 under Oakland. Scary

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 09:44 PM
link   
So in this case the house would have sat unclaimed for years before the state sold it for back taxes where it would have become a run down wreck.

Squatting isn't my thing besides I have a house.

To bad you cant simply research these things and pay the taxes on them to take ownership but it seems unless you occupy them for 5 years you are SOL.

Strange system.

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 09:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Grimpachi

These people have actually trimmed up the yard and burned the trash. They repaired some broken windows, so it isnt all bad. And your right just after a few months, it was becoming a run down mess.

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Sorry, I don't mean to be harsh with you! You seem like a nice caring person. I have lived in similar neighborhoods and still picture some of the things that went on there.
I am glad your sister is taking precautions. Stuff like this just really bothers me from past experience.
I didn't mean to take it out on you. Sorry if it seemed that way.

edit on 1 10 2015 by stosh64 because: spealin

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 10:08 PM
link   

No worries, I debated real hard before I opened up this dialog. I knew up front, it could go all bad. lol

In a earlier thread, (cant remember the name now) Heficide, talked about his experience in a shelter situation. How the shelter ends up with all their pay. 4 men in a small space for 1300 a month each. My heart just broke when I realized the greed that had swept through every corner. Anyway, if someone (especially a family) can benefit from this info, then so be it. If I were to die and leave no heirs, I would much rather my property was given to someone besides the county.
Back when the west was being settled, this was a common practice. If homesteaders gave up and went home, often someone would come along and just squat until it was theirs.

Im not a thief, and would never condone someone stealing from someone else.

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 10:21 PM
link   
I love your optimism! And I think I needed to hear your point of view on this. I think I have let the world get me bitter at times. It is refreshing to see someone have faith in people like you. It is something I have allowed myself to lose, unfortunately.
I am going to search for Heffs thread, thanks.

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 10:25 PM
link   

Thank you for your kind reply. I dont think Heff started the thread. I just cant remember the title now. I dont exactly have alzheimers its more like 1/2 heimers. lol

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 10:35 PM
link   
If she lives in Texas, put up some 'No Trespassing' signs all around her property that are clearly visible, and buy a gun... See where I'm going with this? Perfectly legal.

Edit: Nevermind, you mentioned morals.
edit on 10-1-2015 by Bovah2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 11:05 PM
link   
She has one, but she is a very tiny 64 yr old. So, any confrontation is overwhelming. Especially living alone. She doesnt want to shoot anyone. She also baby sits her great grand kids a lot, and she just feels vulnerable. She said she was going to ask her dead husband to go haunt them, but I told her the blow back could be brutal. lol

posted on Jan, 11 2015 @ 03:24 AM
link   
I would pay the taxes myself and have them evicted and get in proper tenants right now. A thief is a thief is a thief! Disgusted!

posted on Jan, 11 2015 @ 03:58 AM
link   
Maybe she should talk to the new neighbors and befriend them. Tell them they can have the water if they help her out with things she may need done that she is unable to like cut her grass clean her gutters fix things around her home. It would be better to try to make friends than enemy's in my opinion. They might actually turn out to be good neighbors, whats the old saying "You can catch more fly's with honey than you can with vinegar".
edit on 11-1-2015 by pez1975 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join