It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breaking: West Jet WA2154 is squawking 7500 - possible Hijack situation (Update: False Alert)...

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 10:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

I can see this being pilot error.

It's possible that they were transferred to another frequency and couldn't contact the new frequency(thanks shoddy Mexican ATC system), then weren't able to reach the previous controller, then squawked 7500 instead of 7600 in an attempt to get attention and raise someone on guard.

You never know, on a multiple leg day late into the day 7500 starts looking a lot like 7600 and simple things start to get overlooked once fatigue sets in.

edit on 10-1-2015 by justwanttofly because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 10:29 PM
link   
a reply to: justwanttofly

I can see them putting in 7500 on accident, but if it popped three times there's more here. ATC should have sat up and noticed and said something, even on GUARD after one.

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 10:31 PM
link   

Yep. The 7 series codes auto IDENT so they're noticed. Anything else they have to hit the button.

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 10:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

There's a reason that the Mexican government isn't known for their ability to push tin.

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 10:34 PM
link   

Yeah, good point. Heh.

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 10:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
a reply to: Nochzwei

I won't say it happens all the time, but it dies happen that a pilot accidentally puts in 7500 without there being anything happening.

As you said, once, alright maybe but 3 times? After the sequence they also did a 0000 which I guess would stand for "everything ok"... Still very weird. My guess is this will be swept under the rug and we won't hear more about it

edit on 10-1-2015 by MrMaybeNot because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 10:58 PM
link   
a reply to: MrMaybeNot

They were probably told to IDENT a couple times and then finally realized their mistake and changed it.

We probably won't hear any more. The crew will get a nice paid vacation to wherever the WestJet training facility is for some nice remedial training and the pilot group will probably get some end of the month publication talking about cross checking to ensure the correct code is in the transponder.

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 11:05 PM
link   
It can also be that something did go on during the flight, and the crew got nervous, jumped the gun, tripped the alarm, then it ended up being nothing.

posted on Jan, 12 2015 @ 11:08 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 13 2015 @ 03:05 AM
link   
WestJet and ACT deny the reports. Blame the flight tracker Flightradar24.com for sending the message out on twitter.

Westjet denys rumour sent out on twitter

posted on Jan, 13 2015 @ 08:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Leonidas

And the Pentagon says the pilot did it on accident.

So who's lying?

posted on Jan, 13 2015 @ 09:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
a reply to: Leonidas

And the Pentagon says the pilot did it on accident.

So who's lying?

Yes, there are some unanswered questions.
Is it normal for the Pentagon to take a stance so early into an event such as this?

posted on Jan, 13 2015 @ 09:51 AM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

Post 9/11 they've responded faster to things like this, but even for that this was a fast response by them.

(post by jakkels removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join