It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How Much of your Freedom Have You Given up for Convenience

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Benjamin Franklin said (and I paraphrase) "Those who give up freedom for security deserve neither freedom nor security'.

How about those who give up freedom for CONVENIENCE?

Everyone is raving about Apple's new thumbprint feature on the iPhone, and people are raving about how much they're going to enjoy their Apple Smart Watch. Here's a scenario, that won't be too outlandish.

Your Smart Watch is recording all your vitals, like heartbeat, steps taken, etc etc etc. Your iPhone is recording your location anywhere you go.

Cops come along to a crime scene, and find a thumbprint that shouldn't be there. They run it through their database of thumbprints voluntarily provided by Smart Phone users to Apple, Samsung, Sony, LG, Microsoft, and whomever else because they are too lazy to type in a password. Those thumbprint databases are instantly scanned, and a match is found to a phone user. Remember, in normal every day life, people without criminal records won't have thumbprints in police databases, but they have voluntarily given their thumbprint to their cell phone manufacturer, who has recorded that image in a central database, along with other data from your phone.

Police then get use geo locating software to triangulate your cell phone, which you have with you because most users can't live without their cell phone for 5 minutes.

Police show up, arrest you, and it's all because you wanted CONVENIENCE.

Because you wanted a Smart Watch, they can also tell that at the time the crime was committed, your heart rate and blood pressure were much higher because of increased adrenaline.

YOU gave up all this biometric data, voluntarily, because you thought it was "cool" and "convenient" to be able to have medical info on your wrist and a thumbprint to open your phone.

And the marketing from cell phone companies talked you into using this feature, to the point where you not only were willing to give all this up voluntarily, but to the point where you were LOOKING FORWARD TO IT.

So, who's up for an $599 Apple Smart Watch and a 2 year contract on that IPhone 6?

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 11:26 AM
link   
you'd have to be an idiot to trust apple. when i had an itunes account i had been hacked at least 2 times. they're in it for the money not your privacy. that being said, we should evolve with technology, use it to better our lives but do it in a responsible and safe way.

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 11:28 AM
link   
a reply to: babybunnies

A $599 smart watch? Whoa, I can't afford that. Is it really worth that much?

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Interesting, we call it a "cell" phone. "Locked" in…

Can you "get out"?

No one is ever getting out of their locked cell again.

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 11:32 AM
link   
I have given up a lot of freedom for convenience. I have been tied to this computer way too much.

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 11:36 AM
link   

I don't have a cell phone...or an ipad etc. I just have a rather dated desktop PC...I don't belong to any social networks.

I believe in old fashioned landline telephone calls...meeting in person for coffee, a meal...and a good conversation. I still compose and send thru the mail hand written letters.

I live on a limited budget...I am retired and I do ok...I don't live beyond my means.

I am thinking it is a blessing that I can't afford all that technology has to offer.

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 11:50 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

I miss the old Bell rotary dial phones. They were built to last. I don't have a cell phone. Yes, I know I'm on the internet and being tracked as I type. Technology is a double edged sword. Maybe the story you wrote might not be all that bad. I mean, if you are placed at the scene of the crime with your heart racing, you might just be a person of interest. The real problem I have is when I try to talk to someone who's on their cell phone. It's like talking to a crackhead.

I was looking into buying one and seen Nvidia coming out with a chip that blows Apple away. I'll wait until it's out. I'm not surfing the news on it. I'm not going to play games on it. I might text because I can't get the person to answer, they will still get the message. When someone talks to me, I'll drop the cell phone and be part of the world unless it's a pressing phone call. Even then, I'll explain the situation to both parties. No texting while driving for me either. If the world wants to know what I'm doing, let them. I'll put on a show. I understand there's some good with a little paranoia but a lot will destroy ya.
edit on 10-1-2015 by LOSTinAMERICA because: Typonese

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Heck IBM got its start from the nazis to come up with a way for them to number everybody .
And here in the us we got s.s. numbers get it s.s. I dont know what thery got elsewhere but im sure they got something.

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 11:56 AM
link   
a reply to: LOSTinAMERICA

I don't miss the bell rotary dial phones at all. I have one from the seventies sitting in the livingroom next to the couch which we use all the time and also another old fifties wall phone hanging in the basement. They need filters on the lines for the DSL though. I like the way they ring, and you never have to wonder where you left them like the cordless phones.

Our main cordless phone is over eighteen years old. The antenna is taped up with duct tape but it keeps on going. The other cordless phones have been replaced many times since then, but that one, which we use most often is like the energizer rabbit.

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 11:59 AM
link   
I have an array of electronic devices, some of which include GPS, facial recognition, and thumbprint technology. I also have a webcam ( mine closes and has a microphone "off" button because I am smart that way - but it can still be remotely turned back on, though all they'd get is sound ).

Do I feel I've threatened my own freedom? Not really. The authorities have all of my relevant information anyway - as they must for me to engage in the most basic forms of commerce... driving and having a debit card.

Further, I actually do possess the technical skill to stymie or extremely complicate the job of accessing anything of mine through encryption, firewalls, port blocking, isolating networks, etc. But I rarely use any of it. I only encrypt things that are either deeply personal or finance related.

Even if I were to create a bon fire, right this second, and burn every single electronic device in my possession - I'd still end up walking out into a world where my picture is taken roughly every three blocks by one camera or another. All of my transactions are tracked or recorded ( cash or not ).

Long story short - there's really no escaping it and trying to would actually cause me to stand out of the crowd and make me more noticeable. Take refuge in the fact that spying on everyone, always, has a fun side effect... it creates so much data that only supercomputers can even begin to touch it. And they are only looking for a very narrow window of behavior - they're more concerned with trends than with individuals.

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 12:03 PM
link   
None .. go where want.. when want.. do what want.. as to phone .. running android - rooted .. degoogled.. no gps .. custom rom .

Unless its a very select few individuals I dont even accept calls .. check email maybe once a decade .. dont use social media ..

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 12:10 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

My dad had a police box that had our home phone in it. My friends used to get a kick out of it. I wish we would have kept it. Nothing built now seems to last. You could hunt with one of those old bell telephones and it would still work. Too bad everything is better made to never last now.

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 12:14 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Thanks, you have my wheels spinning. I might just go see if Ebay has any of those old ma bell telephones. The wireless home setups don't last real long. I guess it's a trade off for convenience like the OP said.

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 12:19 PM
link   

if your are placed at the scene of the crime with your heart racing, you might just be a person of interest.

Anyone can be framed now, too. How hard is it to alter digital memory to "fit the crime"? They wouldn't even need to have your phone to do it anymore, apparently.

Now lets see, who can we use as a fall guy. Search for unemployed single males with a record that fits the profile. We have a hundred local matches. Any live nearby?

Searching… we have a match. The next day…

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 12:21 PM
link   

You can be framed without technology. Really, it's happened.

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 12:38 PM
link   

You can be framed without technology. Really, it's happened.

I know. In the past though, they had to go looking for you…
now everyone is on line, has a credit card, a computer, a cell phone, a job a paycheck an account, a home address.

There isn't anywhere one can go anymore without them going right there to get you.

Except off grid. But thats terrorist activity now a days…

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 12:41 PM
link   
The Myth of Freedom and the Way of Meditation

Its a simple plugin.

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 01:10 PM
link   
a reply to: vjr1113

Look at how many people buy their products and entrust them with passwords, pics, fingerprints, addresses, etc. Obviously this is a very gullible populace who wouldn't believe anything unless the latest comedian news presenter tells them.

For convenience stores we sacrificed jobs, good food, fair business practices for an on the go bagel, for a cup of coffee.

For comfort we gave up our vigilance, focusing on the game and the cold beer everynight instead of the loss of our rights.

For mechanization we sacrificed good people, with real skills, all for faster machines, quicker methods, more reliable packaging, etc.

Vigilance was replaced with a constant, never ending search for comfort, convenience, speed and on demand goods. Yes, THEY did this to us, by introducing these methods, but we're just as guilty, we fell for it. Chose 7-11 over the mom and pop store, chose the chip bag over homemade goods, ran to the store for microwavable goods instead of cooking, put all our faith in a plastic and metal box manufactured by slaves for slaves.

No one is innocent, the guilt courses through all our veins.

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 01:16 PM
link   
I have given up very little willingly - I have had much taken from me in the name of security for the nation.

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 01:16 PM
link   

I'm still free. Well free as I was before the Patriot Act and NDAA. I'm sure they don't have a reason to even waste their time on me. It works for both of us. I mean, we can throw hypothetical's out there all day long. I haven't met anyone who is having a problem yet. I'm just not that interesting or financially viable enough to take a second look at.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join