It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

George Zimmerman arrested in Florida, held on aggravated assault charge

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 10:32 AM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

Only because of the ridiculous Florida Stand Your Ground law. The jury had no choice. By logical standards, it was murder.

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 10:36 AM
link   
So, the weapon was a bottle and he had to surrender all his firearms and isn't allowed in the county where the victim lives. Good.

Source

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 10:37 AM
link   

I understand that, technically, you cannot present an act of violence to court if they were charged and acquitted, but that rule needs to change for the purpose of establishing a pattern whether or not that behaviour was criminal.

That seems to imply the past is always a mirror of the present. That isn't true. The trial result is to be based on the facts of the event, not feelings about a person.

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 10:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: tsurfer2000h
a reply to: windword

A "failure to make a case" doesn't make a s person innocent.

Nor does it make him guilty.

Logic fail!

Zimmerman DID kill Trayvon Martin. He tracked him down and killed him.

Does a "failure to make a case" against Zimmerman make Trayvon guilty and deserving of death? The reasoning is, Zimmerman killed Trayvon Martin in self defense, therefore, it wasn't murder. That would make Trayvon guilty, right? And, your logic implies, in my opinion, that Trayvon had no "right to self defense" in the sense that Zimmerman did, simply because Zimmerman was armed.

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 10:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74

Only because of the ridiculous Florida Stand Your Ground law. The jury had no choice. By logical standards, it was murder.

Law is the law.

And I would say manslaughter rather than murder.

In fact if the prosecution had in a fraction of a brain cell they should have gone for a manslaughter.

link   
I'm not going to defend his behavior here but I do have a question.
A few weeks or months ago, there was a thread here about people's experiences fighting and throwing objects in their relationships. What I learned from the thread was that violence is pretty common with people. Some were actually proud of throwing things or having things thrown at them.
Other than his dealings with trayvon, why is this not as amusing to people as their own violent acts?
I would think he would be on his best behavior. Maybe he's not that smart.

link   

originally posted by: roadgravel
That seems to imply the past is always a mirror of the present. That isn't true. The trial result is to be based on the facts of the event, not feelings about a person.

The past CAN BE a measure of the present. Your wife cheats on you 5 times. Are you going to wipe the slate clean and trust her again, because it's "in the past"? The past can set up a pattern that's likely to be repeated. We're stupid if we don't learn from the past. Someone's going to get BURNED with this Zimmerman character if we don't learn from the past.

Yes, the trial result is based on the facts of the case, but we're not in a court of law here, and I'm not asking anyone to "admit" that the trial results were wrong, although I think they were. I'm asking people to take another look at this guy they considered a "hero". But I think I'm asking too much.

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 10:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Hoosierdaddy71

I was AMAZED at that thread! As I said there, someone threw my purse at me once... Relationship OVER. I am a non-violent person and I don't understand physically taking anger out on another... It's not funny at all.

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 10:53 AM
link   
I'm so shocked!

He's such an upstanding citizen.

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 10:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

Hey, I agree with your post. The trial was the trial. The man demonstrates poor judgement at best. His life style is going to catch up one day and that may not be good for him. (Much more than visiting jail)

edit on 1/10/2015 by roadgravel because: typo

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 10:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

Am I wrong saying that people were actually proud of the violence, or did I just miss the point of that thread?

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 10:56 AM
link   

Yes...
My point is that particular law is horrible. It basically translates to the ability to antagonize anyone by any means and if they so much raise a hand you can now act and defend yourself as if your life is in danger.

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Law is the law.

Haha!

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 10:58 AM
link   
a reply to: Hoosierdaddy71

No, I absolutely agree with you. I was shocked that people seemed to think it was funny and take violence against another with a grain of salt. It blew my mind.

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Yes...
My point is that particular law is horrible. It basically translates to the ability to antagonize anyone by any means and if they so much raise a hand you can now act and defend yourself as if your life is in danger.

A person cannot be the aggressor and claim SYG. If a person feels the need to attack someone over words then they are still wrong and guilty of a crime.

A know many here claim they would act violent over minor actions by others but that is why the laws are written.
edit on 1/10/2015 by roadgravel because: typo

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 11:04 AM
link   
a reply to: windword

Zimmerman DID kill Trayvon Martin. He tracked him down and killed him.

Well that's your personal opinion and not that of the law or the courts.

Does a "failure to make a case" against Zimmerman make Trayvon guilty and deserving of death?

Did I say that...no.

And had Trayvon went home this wouldn't have happened either, but this isn't the place for this discussion as it isn't about his guilt or innocence in that case.

The reasoning is, Zimmerman killed Trayvon Martin in self defense, therefore, it wasn't murder. That would make Trayvon guilty, right? And, your logic implies, in my opinion, that Trayvon had no "right to self defense" in the sense that Zimmerman did, simply because Zimmerman was armed.

You have no idea what my logic is on that case and this isn't the thread to discuss that now is it?

Unless George and Trayvon were married and didn't tell anyone.
edit on 10-1-2015 by tsurfer2000h because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 11:05 AM
link   

According to the people who wrote the stand your ground law in Florida Zimmerman couldn't use that as a defense. The reason why Zimmerman walked away is simply because the jury was full of idiots. Remember this is a state that let a woman walk after she lost her child and went looking for it at a wet t shirt contest.

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 11:10 AM
link   

The reason why Zimmerman walked away is simply because the jury was full of idiots.

Idiots for not convicting someone with lack of evidence? I thought the idiots in a couple of Florida cases were the prosecutors for going to trial without good evidence. Some of that had to do with pleasing the vocal mob.

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 11:11 AM
link   
a reply to: tsurfer2000h

It was another poster who declare that the court decision was "RIGHT". I responded, you responded and continue to respond, claiming the "last word", to what you yourself are claiming is "off topic".

In my "personal" opinion, the evidence of the repeated violent and anti-social behavior of Zimmerman and his highly publicized run ins with the law, indicates beyond a doubt, that the court ruling was "WRONG", and Zimmerman most certainly was the aggressor in the Martin case.

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 11:12 AM
link   
a reply to: buster2010
Both of those cases were blown by the prosecution, they overreached and overcharged, trying to use the media spotlight to grandstand, and failed miserably. Don't blame juries for incompetent prosecution.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join