It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mysterious booms rattle homes, scare livestock in Oklahoma. Experts baffled!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 09:04 AM
link   
Have friends in Oklahoma who heard and felt these booms for the last couple of days. No EQ's reported. Also, there's not enough moisture and temp's haven't been cold enough to cause Cryoseisms, or "frost quakes," . Apparently nobody has any explanation as to what it is.

I decided to check ATS to see if there was a thread on it.

Didn't find one, so here it is.

Anyone else out there who felt or heard any of this or have an idea of what it could be?

NORMAN, Okla. (AP) -- A spate of mysterious booms that has been shaking central Oklahoma returned for a second day Friday, again rattling houses and frightening livestock.

Oklahoma Geological Survey research seismologist Austin Holland said a series of booms, much like a sonic boom, rattled the Norman area starting at 11:19 a.m. Friday. Numerous others had been reported Thursday in the same area at about the same time.

The windows of Anthony Young's home in the town that's the outskirts of Oklahoma City rattled. "We thought some nut was out here, you know, with explosives," Young told KOCO-TV. "It sounded like thunder, you could feel the ground shake, but it was nothing like an earthquake"

Both Holland and National Weather Service meteorologist Matthew Day didn't have an explanation for the booms.

source

edit on 10-1-2015 by MrLimpet because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 09:24 AM
link   
Isn't there an ordinance disposal site out that way? Just a thought...

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 09:30 AM
link   
a reply to: MrLimpet

Fort Sill the home of artillery is about 60 miles away. I am not saying the sound carried that far but you never know.

It wouldn't surprise me if FT Sill was involved in some way though.

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 09:31 AM
link   
I would put my money on the cause being an oil related industry.
edit on 1/10/2015 by roadgravel because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 09:38 AM
link   
I know from working in underground mining, bed rock can make a very loud crack/boom and cause heavy vibration when it breaks. Not saying that's it, but with all the drilling and fracking.............

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 10:20 AM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

Makes perfect sense. Everyone who's posted so far has very valid points of what may be causing it.

They also mentioned that their dogs seemed spooked prior to it happening. Like they could sense it coming. I have a one dog that knows a thunder storm coming even before a single cloud appears in the sky.

Always a good idea to watch the animals. They seem to know more than we do sometimes.

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Here's your answer my friend:

poleshift.ning.com...

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 10:39 AM
link   

I'm sure our government knows exactly what's causing these explosions, considering they have enough seismometers in which they can pinpoint exactly where it's coming from. If the earth is shaking, it doesn't need to be an earthquake to pinpoint the exact location of the disturbance. Considering all the high tech listening devices and other monitoring devices our government possesses, you would think all these earth and house rattling booms have happened enough times to sound alarm bells which would cause our government to launch an intensive investigation into its source. If it was a nut setting off explosions, I'm sure authorities would be on the scene in a matter of minutes. In my opinion, the government's denial of knowing the source or the exact location of these booms should be a red flag they're hiding something.

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 11:03 AM
link   
a reply to: WeRpeons

It takes a pretty good size atmospheric disturbance before enough ground coupling happens for it to be registered on a seismometer, and it has to be pretty close to the seismometer as well. The earth doesn't move easily, and sometimes even when it does, shallow events can only propagate so far. This is illustrated for example with low level tremor at some volcanoes, where seismometers as close as 20 km away may not detect it. A seismometer 5 km away however, will. The ground attenuates signals, especially shallow signals, incredibly well. Another factor is whether the seismometer is on the surface or in a borehole. A borehole seismometer some 300 feet down has no chance of picking up something happening in the air, unless it is massive, and shakes the ground pretty good. So a lot of factors would need to present before a seismometer registers something- proximity, depth, and intensity are key.

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Just a thought, but it could also be some SR-72 related testing.
edit on 10-1-2015 by IntroduceALittleIrony because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 11:32 AM
link   
It's freaking fracking! I am so sick of geologist standing around mouths agape claiming to not know what on earth is going on. None of this sort of stuff happened until they began fracking. The USGS should be ashamed to be puppets for the Oil Industry.

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Maybe its just a reptoid party..

That or fracking..

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 12:14 PM
link   
We've had plenty of booming earthquakes up north of OKC (Norman is south of OKC). Maybe it's related to that?

It seems unlikely that Fort Sill firing is responsible for the booms - it's quite far away still. Many relatives lived near there and would hear firing sometimes, but they were much closer.
edit on 12Sat, 10 Jan 2015 12:14:44 -0600America/ChicagovAmerica/Chicago1 by Greven because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 01:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Greven

Have you noticed a higher number of quakes since the fracking increased?

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 04:29 PM
link   

We had a crazy number of earthquakes in Feb. last year, centered within miles of us. Then the rest of 2014 all over Oklahoma was pretty crazy - record number of quakes. If I remember correctly, more M4+ quakes were recorded in 2014 than were recorded up from statehood through 2013 COMBINED! It was... insane.

I'm not sure if it is because of increased fracking or what. There were only a few earthquakes that we felt prior to these 2014 jolts - the big one in 2011 and not many others. Now though? Shoot, we had one last night - another the night before... it's certainly changed.

The problem is, we don't know what changed.

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Maybe these sounds originate from the sky...? Extraordinairy events need extraordinairy explanations...

Maybe these alu/tin-foilhat wearers have been right all the time. There are massive space/star ships arriving and leaving our planet. Maybe these booms are an airdisplacement when a spaceship leaves hyperspace for an orbit around our planet.

Maybe the sky is invested with stealthy and cloaked alien ships... Waaaaaaiting for the right moment to reveal themselves to the world. Each time one has to leave the soundbarrier is broken and delivers it a boom. Because we do not see anything in the sky we think these sounds and forces come from the ground.

Just saying..

(Now I take my tinfoil hat off... again)

edit on 10/1/2015 by zatara because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 08:23 PM
link   
a reply to: zatara

Oh, ok.

Thanks for contributing.

@@:

edit on 10-1-2015 by MrLimpet because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2015 @ 06:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: MrLimpet
a reply to: zatara

Oh, ok.

Thanks for contributing.

@@:

No sweat, you're welcome..

top topics

join