It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Pillars of Creation Don't Exist Anymore

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 12:43 PM
link   
I wonder if you could breathe that atmosphere? Float around in space without a suit.
That would be too cool.

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 12:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: wildespace

originally posted by: lostbook
I think the term to be used here is "time Dialation"

It's not the corect term to be used here (it applies to Special Relativity and reaching near-light-speeds), but you got the gist of it: light travels at a finite speed (quite slow in cosmic terms), so it will be hundreds of years before the light from the event will reach us.

This thread seems like a good opportunity to post the latest Hubble image of the Pillars, taken at a higher resolution and sharpness than the classic image from 1995: hubblesite.org...

Since the image is false-colour (where emissions of certain ionised gasses were assigned to red, green, and blue channels), I've gone and made an approximately true-colour version:

This image was created by splitting the original image into its red (S II), green (Ha), and blue (O III) components. I then generated a new colour image, using the green channel for red (because ionised Hydrogen glows in red), and the blue channel for both green and blue (because ionised Oxygen glows bluish-green). I then colourised the (Sulphur) in red also, and overlayed it on the image, thus adding to the red overall appearance.

Thanks for the informative post.

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 01:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr
a reply to: wildespace

The OP article claims that a super nova shock front is visibly encroaching on this region of space. Per chance, Is there more visual information on that "front"?

Yes, in this Spitzer infrared image: www.nasa.gov...
The green represents cool interstellar dust (such as forming the Pillars), while red represents warm dust, heated by the supernova's shockwave.

And one other question if I might…

What is the theory about where all this mass to make this entire nebulae with all those super stars in it came from… originally.

The Big Bang produced all the hydrogen, as well as some helium. Massive stars formed from that hydrogen and, though thermonuclear fusion as well as supernova events, produced all other elements. For more information, Google "Big Bang" and "stellar nucleosynthesis".

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 03:29 PM
link   
From the article,

If there's a spaceship around those space coordinates using magic telescopes capable of focusing on Earth and seeing details, they would not know of our existence unless they wait around for 7,000 years. For them, right now, we don't exist yet.

sploid.gizmodo.com...

So the best way to learn more about our history, is to ask distant spacefaring civilizations what they saw in our past?

All the more reason I suppose to search for advanced intelligent life.

We would learn something about ourselves.

edit on 2015-1-10 by Xtraeme because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 03:32 PM
link   
We might only be a small part of this universe, yet we have managed to document and preserve its natural beauty forever.

Sad to know they no longer resemble the image we all know and love, but for us this is the only true image we will ever know, as we won't be around personally to view the aftermath of what happend.

Next time I view our space pic slides with my daughter, I shall inform her that the pillars are no more, great lead in to explain how what we see now isn't a real time experience.

Thanks for the info OP

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 03:43 PM
link   

a reply to: wildespace

The OP article claims that a super nova shock front is visibly encroaching on this region of space. Per chance, Is there more visual information on that "front"?

Yes, in this Spitzer infrared image: www.nasa.gov...
The green represents cool interstellar dust (such as forming the Pillars), while red represents warm dust, heated by the supernova's shockwave.

Wooow, I see it. A big red donut with a red center. Thanks for the awe struck moment of realization. I live for those. I hope somebody does a time-lapse of what that is expanding like and how it is going to "evaporate" the nebulae in its path.

Remember Star Trek 6, The Undiscovered Country? Not_even_close.

That region of space seems like a generally hostile environment for life.

I wonder…

Aboiut the big bang and gravity.. I meant more like how do they suppose the energy and stars came from in the Eagle Nebulae? Because I was thinking its left over from some other epic event. Do Black holes go 'Nova' and what would the remnants of that look like?

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 03:49 PM
link   
a reply to: solargeddon

Sad to know they no longer resemble the image we all know and love, but for us this is the only true image we will ever know,

Every photo ever taken is of the past. Thats not a real revelation I'm sure, just thought I'd throw it out there. The only thing real is right now. I mean… now. Wait… riggght, awe never mind.

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 03:52 PM
link   

The long-famed "Pillars of Creation" a giant cloud/ column of gas and dust which is 4 light years tall, are no longer there according to Paul Scowen a scientist at Arizona State University. I think the term to be used here is "time Dialation" where by the speed of light ourview of the Universe is a view of the past.

They were destroyed, blasted by a supernova that happened 6,000 years ago. With our telescopes, we can see the supernova advancing, unstoppable, destroying everything it touches. From Earth, the shockwave has not reached the Pillars of Creation yet. For our senses, they are still there—intact.

In one thousand years there will be a hell of a show. The shockwave is already arriving to the Pillars of Creation and, just like they were created, they will be destroyed once again, obliterated by the force of a dead star. As Paul Scowen—from the School of Earth and Space Exploration at Arizona State University in Tempe and one of the men who led the original Hubble observations back in 1995—explains:

Pretty cool, ATS. The Pillars of Creation destroyed by a supernova. It's like a cosmic can of whoop-A#!@ has been opened. What says ATS?

sploid.gizmodo.com...
I hope we are still eating popcorn in 1000 years!

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 03:56 PM
link   

I think the term to be used here is "time Dialation"

It's not the corect term to be used here (it applies to Special Relativity and reaching near-light-speeds), but you got the gist of it: light travels at a finite speed (quite slow in cosmic terms), so it will be hundreds of years before the light from the event will reach us.

This thread seems like a good opportunity to post the latest Hubble image of the Pillars, taken at a higher resolution and sharpness than the classic image from 1995: hubblesite.org...

Since the image is false-colour (where emissions of certain ionised gasses were assigned to red, green, and blue channels), I've gone and made an approximately true-colour version:

This image was created by splitting the original image into its red (S II), green (Ha), and blue (O III) components. I then generated a new colour image, using the green channel for red (because ionised Hydrogen glows in red), and the blue channel for both green and blue (because ionised Oxygen glows bluish-green). I then colourised the (Sulphur) in red also, and overlayed it on the image, thus adding to the red overall appearance.
As if we see what happened long ago wasn't enough, we are shown pictures that are not scientifically accurate aka "Artist Impression"...

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 04:13 PM
link   
The expansion of the universe could have reversed by now and we would not know it.

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Sad to know they no longer resemble the image we all know and love, but for us this is the only true image we will ever know,

Every photo ever taken is of the past. Thats not a real revelation I'm sure, just thought I'd throw it out there. The only thing real is right now. I mean… now. Wait… riggght, awe never mind.

Yeah, I Know right, I've known for some time, I am having a reflective moment outloud!

Don't deny me my moment of awe by stating the obvious, especially when I only meant it in relation to space pics, but I just failed at pointing that out.

God damn, I'm a failure...but now you know, not a complete idiot

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Awwwe… shucks… kicks stars at feet.

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 08:21 PM
link   
a reply to: lostbook

So maybe we're not here and just Don't know it...yet.

Peace

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 09:27 PM
link   
The eagle nebula is very beautiful in images. Imagine all the other things as yet unseen/ unknown by humanity in the galaxy. I did a painting of the eagle nebula a few years ago. This is the inverted colour version.

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 10:03 PM
link   
[Phage signal]

Great find, S&F!
edit on 10-1-2015 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 10:56 PM
link   
The universe works in such mysterious ways. The pillars of creations, destroyed long before they have even begun creating anything. This is the saddest news I heard all day. Makes me wonder that if all those pinpricks of light so far off have not all dispersed already but the light has not yet reached us, so we would never know. One day the whole universe could all of a sudden just go dark. I do not know if that would be a good thing, or bad.

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 11:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Swills
[Phage signal]

Great find, S&F!

Tha'ts a great pic! Phage should make that his new avatar.

posted on Jan, 11 2015 @ 12:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: galadofwarthethird
The universe works in such mysterious ways. The pillars of creations, destroyed long before they have even begun creating anything. This is the saddest news I heard all day. Makes me wonder that if all those pinpricks of light so far off have not all dispersed already but the light has not yet reached us, so we would never know. One day the whole universe could all of a sudden just go dark. I do not know if that would be a good thing, or bad.

You can't believe what you see 100%

I'm pretty sure that light is bent as it hits the Earth's atmosphere so I see light as the ultimate liar. Another idea that I've thought about over the years is if it's possible to see the future. If Astronomers can use Gravitational lense-ing to see hidden stars by basically "bending" light then maybe there's a way to see the future before it happens. In a sense, the future already exists and the universe is merely expanding into it. Basically, we'd have to use the entire universe as the lense to look back on itself. Crazy right?

posted on Jan, 11 2015 @ 12:53 AM
link   
The question is, IF we every figure out FTL travel or near-FTL travel, how would we navigate without running into anything if we are currently seeing a snapshot of the past?

Right now, if we plot a course for a specific point in space, that point could be presently engulfed in a supernova and we'd have no way of knowing.

Things that make your brain turn to mush for $500, Alex.
edit on 1/11/2015 by Answer because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2015 @ 02:56 AM
link   
Oh I am far from those who believes everything I see, in fact I have no choice in that. But yes light is a big liar, pants of fire. I would not believe anything it shows you, but then again anything it shows you is merely your interpretation of things. So really! The universe expands and contracts as our conscious on everything expands and contracts. Is that not the way of the world and everything? We went from a flat earth to a round one, from the sun spinning around the earth to the current model of the solar system. And so it will go, ever on from the inner micro cosmo to the outer cosmos, to even the void itself.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join