It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What do you see?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 08:13 AM
link   
Have you ever sat and imagined what the person on the other end of that internet cable looks like? That person who, just like you, is madly tapping away, trying to get their thoughts down? I do it fairly often, just to give them a face and try to remember I'm having a conversation with a person, not just an avatar on the screen.
Take FlyersFan for example. Since she's always doing these "What are you" tests, I can't help but see a Motherly type, [ not old, just....kind, quiet, someone who's at ease with themselves....you know Motherly ] who'd just as soon be enjoying her favorite hobby or playing with the kids as argue with someone. But has a shotgun within easy reach.

Slayer69 - Not a big guy, average size, but not someone you'd want to tangle with. Quiet. A loner who is very friendly towards the neighbors, but not one of the group. Inside his house, a den full of equipment that he reeeaaaly shouldn't have, but he's done some things that have earned him a few favors from some Bond types.

Beezer - Kind of a intellectual surfer dude. A beer in one hand, but with books lying all over and a half finished time machine in the basement. [ He spilled a drink on the first one and had to start over when it took off to the Cretaceous and brought back that Raptor all by itself ]

BigFatFurryTexan - Professor/biker type. Big guy, hairy chest, full beard, wears leather vests with no shirt and jeans and boots. But he can quote Shakespeare and Einstein all in the same breath. You can ignore that Colt .45 .......unless you cheat at poker.

These are just fun images, something to remind me it's people on the other side of the screen and they are just as stubborn in their opinions as I am in mine and just as willing to defend them.
edit on 10-1-2015 by DAVID64 because: typo

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 08:22 AM
link   
I just assume everyone on the internet (including 'women') are a big, fat, hairy white guy and take my chances from there. More often than not I will be right.

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 08:22 AM
link   
Usually got my hands full making sure am translating correctly.. english gives me headaches .. though theres several that have over time built up an image of ..

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 08:24 AM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

Im a tall skinny white guy from ohio half hippie with short hair half republican tell me that isnt messed up lol.
But hell beezers got a time machine lets go im going back to the 80s gi joe thundercats he-man here i come

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 08:24 AM
link   

We had a right laugh with this idea Here

Unfortunately a lot of pics have been removed but we laughed our socks off

Cody

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 08:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

You are not alone, except the hairy part

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 08:28 AM
link   
We have no idea whom is on the other end. The Internet is like a big dark room. Lots of conversations going on in here. You can wander into these like wandering into a bar (or a mine field). Until your eyes adjust or one goes off in your face you have no idea who is in there.

The internet is perfect cover for any attitude or position you care to adopt or hide behind. Perfect cover.

I hardly believe anything I am told and even less of what I read.
edit on 10-1-2015 by intrptr because: bb code

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 08:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: DAVID64
I can't help but see a Motherly type, [ not old, just....kind, quiet, someone who's at ease with themselves....you know Motherly ] who'd just as soon be enjoying her favorite hobby or playing with the kids as argue with someone. But has a shotgun within easy reach.

Actually it's a 9 mil Glock. Really.

You did pretty well. My degree is psychology and before becoming chronically ill and having to stay home (6 years ago), I worked with preschoolers and homeschooled our daughter . I preferred the little kids to adults but I also massively enjoyed bloody scrums over hot topics at ATS.

I hear you on the picturing people on the other end of the internet. (I won't share what constructs I've come up with for people over the years. I've probably got them all wrong.)

Sometimes I hear the posters in certain voices ... like when I read Busters posts I can't help but hear Sheldons voice and when I read Heff's posts I hear it as if Daryl Dixon from Walking Dead were speaking. Their avatar pictures make it happen.

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 08:59 AM
link   
I seem to remember ATS conducting some polls a few years back regarding age, genders, nationalities, etc of members but I can't find it. If I remember correctly, American males in their 20s and 30s made up the largest group.

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 09:16 AM
link   
I figured you all look like Napoleon dynomite....
I'm a cross between brad Pitt and David beckham.
But that might be my beer goggles talking....

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 09:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Hoosierdaddy71

I think names and avatars have a huge impact on how I percieve other members.

Hefficide I always imagine as patrick swaze in roadhouse as I don't know who the picture is actually from

Hoosier Daddy above, I have only ever heard the term Hoosier from Jim Ross the legeendary WWF commentator.

TrueBrit I imagine is not his Gif and does not drink quite so much.

A imagined a certain member as a retired gentleman with a smoking jacket and a glass of sherry in a leather chesterfield chair in an antique library but it turns out there not that old and work as a plasterer so I guess I'm not that good!

edit on 12015121pAmerica/Chicago2015-01-10T09:55:21-06:0055f55 by nonspecific because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 10:38 AM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific

Hoosier is a term for a person from indiana. Funny thing though, nobody can agree where the term came from.
Thats kind of like your name "nonspecific"

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 10:41 AM
link   

I found that out because of the wrasslin!

Is it not also a nickname for a sports team of some sorts, All i see when I see that word is American sports and BBQ on a public holiday.

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 10:42 AM
link   

I have learned over the years, that little can be learned about a person from their avatar, unless of course, that individual has placed an image of themselves in the frame, like I have. All one can really learn from anything less revealing, is temperament, preferences in entertainment, and characters with whom they might identify.

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 10:44 AM
link   

As it happens nonspecific, I am indeed the fellow in the avatar Gif. However, you are correct in saying that I do not drink as much as my avatar image does, but that is because unlike me, that image has nothing better to do all day than fulfill its programming. I, on the other hand, have to work, and interact with other members of the human race, and therefore cannot spend all day quaffing beverages.

That said, I am no slouch in that particular department

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 10:47 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

If I am to be entirely truthfull I think I knew that it was if fact you.

However after the dissapointment of Father Christmas the Easter bunny and the Tooth fairy I had decided to expect dissapointment

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 11:03 AM
link   
a reply to: Indigent
WOW! I thought I was looking at a photo of me, except my computer is under the stairs and I have fair hair. And I'm a bit thinner. But I am left handed.

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 11:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: nonspecific

I found that out because of the wrasslin!

Is it not also a nickname for a sports team of some sorts, All i see when I see that word is American sports and BBQ on a public holiday.

You nailed it! That is indiana universities nickname. You nailed the bbq to..

Are you a sci fi watching bangers and mash eater?

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 11:08 AM
link   

I am a gorilla of many faces.

LOL...but all of them wears a shirt in real life. Typically a button up, crisp linen shirt.

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Disappointment is a horrid thing...

Here, just for you!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join