It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I am proud to be a Christian Fundamentalist.

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2015 @ 07:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: windword
a reply to: WashMoreFeet

The righteousness of God is the only absolute good. There must be absolute good if we are to have a true standard of measurement.

So when God killed off all life on planet Earth, save a few humans and a few animals, that was "absolute good"? And when God ordered the death of adulterers, fornicators, mouthy teenagers and those who considered other religions, that was "absolute good"?

Nonsense! If there was such a thing as a true standard of measurement based on "absolute good", we'd see evidence of it. But, there isn't any, none at all.

Your anger at God does not mean His judgment wrong. It simply means you are angry at God. It is natural to be angry at what you do not understand. God allows us to be angry with Him. He even allows us to question Him. But when we can't let go of our anger, it turns into rebellion. Even in our rebellion, whether it be because of ignorance, pride or anger, He still loves us and is willing to pour out His mercy. We are told "The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish but for all to come to repentance." (2 Peter 3:9)

The hardest part is coming to terms with one's need for repentance. Most people who live their lives under the notion that "good" is relative, see no need for repentance. They already consider themselves good. But none of us are really good. We are all sinners. Jesus said that "no one is good except God alone." (Mark 10:18) God is the only absolute good. He is our only real standard of measurement and running from or arguing with that fact doesn't make it any less true.

The simple fact is, God does not owe us an explanation of His actions. Like the last house we lived in, I told my then 7 year old daughter to stay away from the house across the street, that she wasn't even allowed to play in that side of our yard, she was to go nowhere near that house, nor play anywhere in our yard that could be seen from that house. I didn't owe her an explanation why, she simply had to trust that I loved her and my reasons were based on that love for her. Even if I tried to explain to her my reason why, it would have been inappropriate and mostly incomprehensible to her. That our neighbor was a recently registered pedophile. She didn't need to know that, she only needed to trust my judgment and obey what I asked of her.

Even I questioned God about the flood, why even the animals had to die. What did they do? How could animals sin against God? Then when He saw fit to reveal His reason to me, I was ashamed of myself for ever doubting Him. He didn't owe me an explanation, but He heard my prayer and answered it, not because I deserved it, but simply because of whatever reason He saw fit to do so. And that is okay, because He is God and I am not.
edit on 1/13/2015 by WashMoreFeet because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2015 @ 07:48 PM
link   
a reply to: WashMoreFeet

Your anger at God does not mean His judgment wrong. It simply means you are angry at God.

Perhaps you missed my post earlier in this thread.

I don't hate the Christian God. I don't believe that it exists. What I hate is people telling me that I need to have faith in a book that describes the Biblical God and if I don't acquiesce to "him", I'm judged by them as rejecting my creator, as immoral, self deceived "A Seed of Satan" and bound for Hell.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

The hardest part is coming to terms with one's need for repentance. Most people who live their lives under the notion that "good" is relative, see no need for repentance.

That's not true. Repentance is a natural human expression of grief. It's only natural to want to apologize to someone you've harmed or offended, and feel a need to clear the air and set off with a clean slate. It's also natural to want to hold a grudge.

But, I don't believe in Original Sin and DO believe that people basically are good intentioned, want to love and be loved and thrive. Therefore, I see no need to repent for the human condition. Rather, I think it should be celebrated.

As to, "a true standard of measurement based on absolute good", I don't believe any such thing exists, and certainly ISN'T displayed in the character of the Bible God.

God is the only absolute good. He is our only real standard of measurement and running from or arguing with that fact doesn't make it any less true.

The simple fact is, God does not owe us an explanation of His actions.

This is a really slippery slope. If everything the biblical God does is absolute good, but he orders us to do things, like kill our family and neighbors, but we can't question the "good" in it, because he owes us no explanation, then anyone who "hears" God's voice telling them to kill or go to war can never be questioned either.

edit on 13-1-2015 by windword because: added content

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 02:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: DeathSlayer
I am not ashamed for my beliefs and see no reason to hide how I feel about my religious beliefs.

Believers in the flat earth theory also live happy lives …

Christian Fundamentalism is a conservative movement within American Protestantism that aims to uphold traditional Christian beliefs in the face of many modernist challenges.

"Modernist challenges" Nice try, I see what you did there with the language … lol. Yeah, science is a bitch for flat earth believers too.

Often I see many here on ATS complaining about religion but very few coming "out of the closet" and totally denying the existence of God and their hate for him (there are only a few) instead they blame God for the world's problems and that is as far as they dare to venture in blaspheming him.

Anybody keeping a cool head and trying to analytically/scientifically call you out on BS is a coward because we're not foaming from the mouth … ???

I am a Christian fundamentalist and proud to be one BUT I do not support any who act childish and spread hate and ignorance.

Oh, the irony ;-) But I let you figure this one out by yourself …

What gives Christian Fundamentalism a bad name are the lunatics who lead those blind sheep into spreading hate and arrogance.

What gives Christian Fundamentalists a bad name are Christian Fundamentalists. This is pretty straightforward. Don't you think? Let's not unnecessarily complicate things!

I disagree with the homosexual life style …

Was it your choice to be straight or gay? If it was a your choice, you must have been bi-sexual at one point. Otherwise it's just hearsay … lol. Was it my choice to be black or white? Mate, you didn't think this one through …

but I don't hate them nor do I wish they burn and/or suffer in the afterlife. I hate sin not the sinner.

I hate the color black, but I have no problem with black people.

No one is perfect and that includes Christian fundamentalists. We are not here to judge one another but to correct one another by using the fruits of the "Holy Spirit" with love, patience and understanding not with hate, anger, brainwashing etc….

Oh boy, your delusion of grandeur needs professional help. Keep correcting gays and plate tectonics (age of the earth). Good luck …

A Christian fundamentalist first and foremost goal is to "do our best" in trying to live the life of a Christian according to the teachings of the bible. Anything else you might have heard or seen is not Christian fundamentalism.

The Taliban share the same goal, just a different book.

So lets do this....... Lets make this for the record. Be clear about how you feel about God, if you hate him say it and stick to your guns and be proud, it you don't believe he exist then say it…. that you reject him and if you love him then say it and praise him.

Religion does not hold a monopoly on GOD.

Let all those in heaven and hell see this record.

Yeah, the fear thingy (hell) is always a nice touch, but it gets kind of overused in your circles.

So how do you feel about YWYH (Jehovah) God?

That is like asking how one feels about the chromatic scale in music … ;-)
edit on 14-1-2015 by AllIsOne because: clarity

edit on 14-1-2015 by AllIsOne because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 02:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: NOTurTypical
a reply to: TzarChasm

in my opinion that is a ridiculous condition. as though simply by being god he is automatically worthy. no, i dont believe in that nonsense.

Fair enough, and that is YOUR RIGHT. So just simply say:

"I reject the Sovereignty of God."

What is your obsession with that phrase that you keep telling TzarChasm to write? Fetish much …?

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 02:42 AM
link   

edit on 14-1-2015 by AllIsOne because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 07:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: Nechash
a reply to: DeathSlayer

I recently went to a gospel church on the West Coast. It was absolutely luminescent. I have never been more tempted to convert to a belief system in this lifetime.

That sounds very promising. I hope you will consider the change, you will find peace and love and most of all God.

He is waiting for you with arms extended.

Come join our family - we are not perfect - but our God is and he loves you.

God bless you.

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 07:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: Seede
a reply to: Expat888

Text Have neither need nor use for any religion... its an instrument of oppression .. control .. used to justify cold blooded murder of anyone who doesnt believe in a groups particular superstition. primitive.. barbaric.. bloodthirsty superstition that should have been left behind centuries ago..

That is truly odd that you would be here on a religion forum that you despise. I would think that if one despises religion as you have depicted that one would avoid and ignore these stupid twits. Of course I realize that it may be difficult to define religion in many cases as some may say I am not religious but am spiritual. Are you saying that you have no need or respect for all spiritual aspects of humanity?

Hi Seede,

Expat888 is blind and full of hate and it could be years (if any) before he is willing to re-examine the facts about God. I will never understand how anyone can expect us (Christians) to answer questions that are directed to God. I can not talk for my wife or my grown children ...... you would have to ask them directly...... so why do people think Christians can speak for God in areas that are not clarified to everyone's satisfaction?

God states he finds homosexuality detestable. So now non-believers expect us to talk on behalf of God and if our answers are not good enough that that is their reason to reject God and his commandments. Can you see the error in this way of thinking?

The answer for me is simple - those who reject God and his commandments is due to the fact they look for fault in the Torah, OT and NT so they can now feel justified in living an ungodly life.

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 09:44 AM
link   

I will never understand how anyone can expect us (Christians) to answer questions that are directed to God. I can not talk for my wife or my grown children ...... you would have to ask them directly...... so why do people think Christians can speak for God in areas that are not clarified to everyone's satisfaction? God states he finds homosexuality detestable. So now non-believers expect us to talk on behalf of God and if our answers are not good enough that that is their reason to reject God and his commandments. Can you see the error in this way of thinking? The answer for me is simple - those who reject God and his commandments is due to the fact they look for fault in the Torah, OT and NT so they can now feel justified in living an ungodly life.

I agree with you completely. Here on ATS I have read many brilliant members opinions and some are well beyond my intellect. There are a select few that have absolutely brilliant minds and at one time I envied their gift of recall and expression. Actually there are no Godly instructions that can be added other than what we have already been given. If we study the Apostles and disciples then all that is necessary has been said and taught. You are correct in that none of us can add to what has already been said.
Wishing you the best--

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 12:29 PM
link   

If I was to tell you that whilst minding my own business the big guy (AKA God) spoke to me and told me a new commandment or better still I had to prove my faith in him by killing my child as he allegedly told Abraham to kill his son Isaac. Would you believe me, would you start listening to me and any writings I make as gospel because I said it came from God?

Hopefully you would answer no and quite rightly so as was the case in Australia where a mother killed her child "because God told her to" (Dora Tejada)

www.dailymail.co.uk...

What about the woman who tried to drown her child because "Jesus told me to"

m.huffpost.com...

I could list numerous other examples but you get my point.

What are your views that God spoke to Pope Benedict and told him to resign?

www.telegraph.co.uk...

Do you really believe that the Pope was told to quit by God?

Were the women who killed their children mentally unstable? What is the difference between God telling these women to kill their children and what he told Abraham to do and allegedly Pope Benedict?

My understanding is if one has voices in their head it's regarded as Schizophrenia in today's society, could Abraham not have suffered by the same illness?

If we have Free Will (which is always used as a counter argument when asking why God allows Atrocities to happen) why did God fire Pope Benedict?

That all being said, Christian Fundamentalist and other religious fundamentalist expect everyone to believe as fact the word of God as written and told by shepherds a couple of millennium ago. It is beyond my comprehension that God would allow three Abrahamic religions that all despise and kill each other to continue in his name if he gave a damn about "his children". Why is your believe in the bible any more important than the believe in the Torah or Koran by other folk? It's all the same God but different believe systems and that being said which Abrahamic system is the correct one?

IMHO God created the universe and that's as far as he got. As said before he probably has no idea we even exist. Big place the universe and a tad Big Headed of us mere humans to believe he just spends his time in our neck of the woods.

edit on 14.1.2015 by flammadraco because: Grammar ;(

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 12:41 PM
link   
The concepts of translation & generations of rewriting the bible is lost on Christians & it's rather pathetic.

To believe what we read in the bible today are the same words originally written for it is the most naive thing anyone can possibly do.

& to use this thread as " a record for heaven & hell to record our true stance on god"...

Well that's pretty god# ridiculous if you ask me.
edit on 14-1-2015 by Eunuchorn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 05:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Eunuchorn

The concepts of translation & generations of rewriting the bible is lost on Christians & it's rather pathetic.

To believe what we read in the bible today are the same words originally written for it is the most naive thing anyone can possibly do.

& to use this thread as " a record for heaven & hell to record our true stance on god"...

Well that's pretty god# ridiculous if you ask me.

It wouldn't matter if they were the original words. It's still bunk.

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 07:56 PM
link   
a reply to: flammadraco

Why is your believe in the bible any more important than the believe in the Torah or Koran by other folk? It's all the same God but different believe systems and that being said which Abrahamic system is the correct one?

Many fundamentalists have various beliefs which may conflict one with the other. Even so, it will not detract from salvation but are mostly superficial in opinions. With that said however it is mostly agreed by fundamentalists that the God of Abraham is to the fundamentalist the God of Christ Jesus. One must have Christ Jesus as the only begotten son of God to qualify for true Christian understanding of the God of Abraham.

Abraham, Isaac, Jacob and Judah were only the pathways to Christ Jesus in Christian belief and nothing more. Christianity was born not by Abraham but through Abraham. This is why Judaism, and Islam do not have the same God as Christian fundamentalists. To deny Christ Jesus as the Christ and begotten of the Father God is to deny God. The Father God and Jesus are one and cannot be separated. Jesus is not accepted either by Judaism or Islam as the begotten from God. As you can then understand it is not Abraham that brings salvation but Jesus that brings salvation. Belief in Abraham is not the true answer to the God of the Christ.

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 08:35 PM
link   
God sounds like a psycho when you read through the King James version of the bible.

I was raised catholic and eventually came to realize that if there was a god, an all knowing, all loving and caring, and forgiving being, how could he let those children suffer. By that alone if there IS a god, I don't reckon that he's worthy of being worshiped. His followers aren't much better.

When I see people mistreating other people in the name of their god and their bible, I wonder how god allows someone to misinterpret the purpose of the bible. I like to call those people Leviticans and not Christians. Christ sounded okay, but as a rational person, I just can't believe in talking snakes, burning bushes, rising from the dead, and pillars of salt. It reads like a fairy tale and honestly, I just don't have time for those. Sure, there may be something that the fairy tale is based on, but that fairy tale is not worthy of following as a religion when so many people screw it up so badly. Their manual is jacked up.

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 02:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Seede

Sorry but you're preaching and in no way have answered any of the points I raised other than to cherry pick a point that was easier to respond to.

Since when has Jews, Christians and Musliums had separate gods, as far as I knew it was the same God in all three religions, and this is defiantly the case with Jews and Christians as the Old Testament is the Torah, so please elbarate where you get your info as you are very ill informed.
edit on 15.1.2015 by flammadraco because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 02:58 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Sorry but you're preaching and in no way have answered any of the points I raised other than to cherry pick a point that was easier to respond to. Since when has Jews, Christians and Musliums had separate gods, as far as I knew it was the same God in all three religions, and this is defiantly the case with Jews and Christians as the Old Testament is the Torah, so please elbarate where you get your info as you are very ill informed.

Didn't mean to preach, as you call it, but will try to explain as best I know. Fundamental Christians accept Jesus as the only Begotten Son of God. That is the entire key to true Christianity and explains all other hub de bub. One cannot separate Jesus from God because both are one and the same. If one denies Jesus as being the Begotten Son of God then they deny the true God. Its real simple. Jesus and God go together and cannot be separated in Christian theology.

Judaism rejects Jesus and separates Jesus from God. Therefore their God is not the God of Jesus. Now I did not say that the rabbinic Jewish God was not accepted by Jesus. What i said was that the rabbinic Jews will not accept Jesus. How then can you say that the rabbinic Jewish God is the same as Jesus" God in their theology? If you separate Jesus from God then you separate God according to Christianity and that is utter rubbish according to them.

The same applies to Islam. They also reject Jesus as the Begotten Son of God and in so doing they also practice the very same error as do the Jews. That is according to Christianity.

All three have some things in common. All claim Abraham and all three claim a monotheistic God but is stops right there. When a Muslim kills a Christian they are killing an infidel. When they kill a Jew they are killing an infidel.

in·fi·del
noun \ˈin-fə-dəl, -fə-ˌdel\
: a person who does not believe in a religion that someone regards as the true religion

Isn't that clear? How can that be the same mindset God? Impossible. Regardless of whether there are three god aspects the fact remains that theologically these three religions believe and accept three different religious Gods.

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 12:02 PM
link   

But...... Jesus died a Jew not Christian and as such he only ever spoke about and preached about the Jewish God.

So....... If Jesus was preaching about the Jewish God then why do Christains say that only their God is the true God when in fact the bible only speaks of the same God as the Jews. In fact is not the only difference between Jews and Christians the believe that whilst Jews believe Jesus existed they never believed he was the Messiah, where as Christians are really Jews who believed that Jesus was the messiah?

Jesus Himself never actually claimed to be “the Christ.” It is often said that Jesus told His followers not to call Him the Christ based upon this passage in the Gospel of Matthew:

“Then charged he his disciples that they
should tell no man that he was Jesus the
Christ.” (Matthew 16:20)

One big problem with Fundamental Christianity in general is that it makes very extreme claims, especially the one about all non-Christians who don’t believe in its gospel will spend an eternity in hell in everlasting torment. How very Christian to condemn 5 billion people to hell!

To go around proclaiming such a thing to others, threatening them with a literal eternal neverending state of torment is perhaps the most extreme claim in the world. The problem is that they expect rational intelligent sane people to believe such extreme claims just because they point to some verses in the Bible that say so, which is absurd to 5 billion fellow humans except them!

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 12:04 PM
link   
boymonkey74

Watched your video and it was truthful in some respects such as political correctness is concerned. It reflects the one world unity teaching but not the theological differences. There will always be many god aspects in the world regardless of unifying behavior of people. The video is on spot I think in that we all should have mutual respect and tolerance for each other. All of that said doesn't address the burning, looting, killing and hatred that comes from religion.

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 02:33 PM
link   

But...... Jesus died a Jew not Christian and as such he only ever spoke about and preached about the Jewish God.

Yes you are correct. Jesus did die as a Jewish nationalist but His doctrine was not the same as rabbinic Judaism. His entire doctrine is like night and day in comparison to rabbinic Judaism. The only connection He had with national Judaism was Abraham. Now that is not to say that He was not in agreement with Moses and the prophets of the Hebrews but they were not rabbinic Judaism. After His death is when the movement began to take root and become known as Christians. So in that respect you are correct.

So....... If Jesus was preaching about the Jewish God then why do Christains say that only their God is the true God when in fact the bible only speaks of the same God as the Jews. In fact is not the only difference between Jews and Christians the believe that whilst Jews believe Jesus existed they never believed he was the Messiah where as Christians are really Jews who believed that Jesus was the messiah?

Certainly the rabbinic Jews believed that the flesh of Jesus existed but they did not believe that He was the celestial image of their God. To believe that He was the celestial image called The Word would be the same as saying that He was God. There is the entire problem. They also did not and still do not believe that Satan is evil. They do not believe t6hat angels can sin or have ever sinned. Their doctrine is absolutely far removed from the doctrine of Jesus. It's like saying that you believe in heaven but do not believe in hell. Both are taught side by side with the same marriage.

When a Christian says that their God is the true God they are saying that Jesus was God in heaven known as The Word before he came to this world. As Jesus told the people that to see God is to see Him is the problem for other religions to believe. Christians are any ones who believe that Jesus was and is now God.

One big problem with Fundamental Christianity in general is that it makes very extreme claims, especially the one about all non-Christians who don’t believe in its gospel will spend an eternity in hell in everlasting torment. How very Christian to condemn 5 billion people to hell!

According to the doctrine of Christ Jesus a true Christian does not spout or condemn anyone to hell of eternal punishment. There are many many people who are grouped into the category of Christianity who should not be in that category. All judgment is of God in true Christianity and not judgments of people. In true Christian theology Jesus never condemns anyone before their death. People condemn themselves by their own choice. All judgments are on each individual according to their deeds in the flesh. There are probably hundreds of church doctrines out there that are not the doctrine of Jesus.

To go around proclaiming such a thing to others, threatening them with a literal eternal neverending state of torment is perhaps the most extreme claim in the world. The problem is that they expect rational intelligent sane people to believe such extreme claims just because they point to some verses in the Bible that say so, which is absurd to 5 billion fellow humans except them!

I totally agree with you on that point. I have never understood hell as being a permanent punishment of torment. The Apostle John does not teach that in any form. Hell will be destroyed according to the Apostle John.
My best to you--

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 03:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: flammadraco

Actually, there's no contemporaneous documentation (ie. historical evidence) that Jesus ever lived or said anything. The Bible was written by men and the words attributed to Jesus were written by men who didn't even live when Jesus allegedly lived and could not possibly have heard him say anything. This is like arguing that Frodo died a Gandalf follower or not.

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join