It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I am proud to be a Christian Fundamentalist.

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2015 @ 10:57 AM
link   
a reply to: TzarChasm

God has chosen to show HIMSELF in a more fine or delicate manner so as to allow deniablility for those who prefer not to be around HIM. Makes their life happier I am sure, and for those who want HIM well HE is right here.

I stand in the center of HIS Kingdom. You stand where you prefer just as I do.

To whom more is given more will be required, HE says. I am just willing to give more. As I like to say, enjoy your freewill as much as I enjoy mine.
edit on 13-1-2015 by OpinionatedB because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2015 @ 10:59 AM
link   
a reply to: OpinionatedB

God has chosen to show HIMSELF in a more fine or delicate manner so as to allow deniablility for those who prefer not to be around HIM.

or just provide plausible deniability for himself. or have it supplied on his behalf by devout followers.

posted on Jan, 13 2015 @ 11:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: boymonkey74
Hate for religion does not mean hate of god.
Religion has not got an monopoly on god.

Amen to that. Religion does however proclaim said monopoly and by looking around one would be forgiven for thinking the hold a monopoly and oppression, violence and a vehement hate of anything that is not of their religion of choice.

As far as how do I feel about Yaweh? To me he looks like a jealous, petty and vindictive liar who unworthy of worship . I'm sure you've read the OT where there is example after example of this type of behavior. I personally think that Christianity is a lie and has become so perverted from its original self for political reasons that it is laughable. What is also sad is that Christian fundamentalists seem to harbor a real hatred toward Catholicism and the Pope, they claim to practicing what Christ really taught, but fail to realize that the bulk of their religious doctrine comes from an institution that they see as corrupting and materialistic.

Religion != spirituality
Religion != God

I'll come out and say it; I have no "Religion". I don't hate God though that seems to be the assumption when one doesn't buy into the fundie's worldview. I just don't like your God. I like much of what the mythical Christ supposedly stood for yet Christians, for the most part, seem to act nothing like him. I'll stick to having a free and open mind. Some may call that statement contradictory but I did initially approach Christianity with that same open mind and what I found was sad and in some cases down right scary. There is a reason that a lot of congregations are referred to as a flock, and while one might argue its reference to pastor being the shepherd it is equally, if not more plausible, that the congregation are the sheep. I know, I know I'm being deceived by the devil and such for me to even bring up these blasphemous notions...

Who is really being received here? Me or you?

posted on Jan, 13 2015 @ 11:05 AM
link   

God cannot be near to our sin - this is why HE uses the agency of man to explain so that the man has the opportunity to remove enough sin to start hearing from HIM personally and get HIS own proofs.

And its not that God cannot be near our sin, but HIS nearness to us while steeped in our own sin would in fact kill us. Mixing the impure with the pure is like mixing two chemicals that cannot be mixed without causing combustion. It is one or the other, but not both or death will ensure on the part of man.

So, he uses man and sometimes angel as the agency to explain all these things, then man can make a choice out of his own freewill, whether or not its worth it to HIM to give it a try and see for HIMSELF.

The proof is in my body... if you want to know, you have to also step out in faith, and find out whether or not you find the proof in your own body.

Just remember, the blood is the answer for past sins, the cross is the answer for the present and future.

posted on Jan, 13 2015 @ 11:15 AM
link   
a reply to: s3cz0ne

Some may call that statement contradictory but I did initially approach Christianity with that same open mind and what I found was sad and in some cases down right scary. There is a reason that a lot of congregations are referred to as a flock, and while one might argue its reference to pastor being the shepherd it is equally, if not more plausible, that the congregation are the sheep.

Indeed. And, the "shepherd" isn't paid by his sheep. The shepherd is paid by the owner of the flock to tend to those sheep, to keep them away from predators, other than the human who owns them, of course. Only the owner of those sheep has the right to have them fleeced and slaughtered for supper.

posted on Jan, 13 2015 @ 11:20 AM
link   

You see religion that way, because people were unwilling to give up their sin. They wanted God, but only on their own terms. Not on HIS.

See, to be a Christian means Be ye perfected even as I am perfected. It means walking away from all your sins - no matter what they are, and putting God first above self.

We have the ability to do that through the cross, but people don't want to... they are unwilling to put forth the effort so what you see are a bunch of people that met Christ, but then thumbed their nose at HIM when it came down to the choice between HIM and their money or HIM and their smokes.

HE walked away from them, yet in their arrogance they didn't see it. They are like the Pharisees and Sadducee in Jesus day.. The synagogue of satan. Hypocrites and liars who do not have any understanding of God whatsoever.

It's not too late for people to repent though, HE will forgive us. He stands arms open wide, offering. It's up to people whether or not to accept.

posted on Jan, 13 2015 @ 01:00 PM
link   
I sometimes wonder if I would be a happier person if I was able to believe in some omnipotent diety. It can be awfully lonely and difficult to tell what the right thing to do is without having a belief to fall back upon

posted on Jan, 13 2015 @ 01:00 PM
link   

You aren't being blasphemous. I think a lot of people misunderstand Christianity because they are jaded by the ones who use it in vain (those who use it contrary to what it teaches and the loud ones who use it to spread hateful things)

Christians are meant to question. God gave us a brain, and we are supposed to ask questions and use it! That's how we learn. I think there is a swooping misconception about Christianity that I hope I can shed some light on (I am no scholar, I'm a Christian (Eastern), so maybe I can help). This will be a long post, so bear with me.

Christianity is not meant to be a "religion" in the definition that you are supposed to do certain things to appease your god. It is a religion in that there are rituals, gatherings, feast days, and organization. Christianity is spiritual. These aspects are expressions of the spiritual (ritual is part of the word spiritual). That's what the Sacraments are a part of, and I'll explain that.

Let's talk a second about Emperor Constantine. A lot of people blame him for making Christianity into a religious and unspiritual thing.

What he was doing was making it so that the Christians weren't being persecuted within the Roman Empire Edict of Milan.
Eventually, we get to the council of Nicaea (325). The main point of this council was the talk about Arianism and whether or not this was in line with with Christian teaching. They also talked about Scripture among other things. I think many people have a misconception that there were all these books of the Bible that the church wanted to hide because it would usurp their authority. That's simply not true. The many books that were included in the Bible (there are many more books included than what the typical Bible at the store includes) seemed to make sense chronologically to them, made sense teaching wise, and they all seemed to check each other out. The Eastern Orthodox Bible has more books than the Catholic and Protestant Bibles. There are historical reasons for that, but that's another topic.

Aside from that, what they didn't want were people claiming to be Christians and using teachings, that not all Christians agreed upon, to justify horrible actions and lead others into doing horrible things. These would be people using a belief to justify their actions even though it is contrary to the belief. This is why they wanted to do away with teachings that didn't seem to add up. What makes me sad is that this happens today, within many churches. The abuse of power is specifically something Christ taught against! (Pharisees, Sadducees, Scribes..)

The whole point of Christ was God condescending to us in human form. The whole point of the Sacraments is to help Christians get in to the life of Christ. To make what is spiritual into something tangible. The Sacraments are all based on Christ's life, and they are meant for others to participate in the life of Christ. This is not something you have to do to appease God. This is for the person's growth if they so choose. Christian life is meant to be a constant thing, not something where you just participate on Sundays.

I hope this made sense.

posted on Jan, 13 2015 @ 01:23 PM
link   
a reply to: windword

Well if OP allowed that here, then I can't argue with OP.

Maybe he will want to engage the existence or non-existence of God in this thread?

I won't, there are numerous other threads about that already.

edit on 13-1-2015 by NOTurTypical because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2015 @ 02:15 PM
link   
a reply to: DeathSlayer

Why must you need a book to fight for what's right? Were you not born with such virtue or do you fall for that age old BS in q book to tell you how to be a good person? Drop the book, just be a good person. If you need a holy book to do that "god" already lost ya.

posted on Jan, 13 2015 @ 03:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Flesh699

Why must you need a book to fight for what's right? Were you not born with such virtue or do you fall for that age old BS in q book to tell you how to be a good person? Drop the book, just be a good person. If you need a holy book to do that "god" already lost ya.

The problem with just being a good person, is that the definition of "good" has become relative. Just doing "good" is a humanistic approach to existence. And human beings are fallen creatures, so any human definition of "good" is...well...no good.
Boko Haram thinks they are doing "good" for Allah. Hitler convinced the people of Germany that he was doing "good" for their country. Stalin and Mao Tse Tung believed that oppressive communism was a "good" form of government.

Jeremiah 17:9 says, ""The heart is more deceitful than all else And is desperately sick; Who can understand it?"

Proverbs 21:2 says, "Every man's way is right in his own eyes, But the LORD weighs the hearts."

The Lord weighs men's hearts because only God's way is absolute truth. The righteousness of God is the only absolute good. There must be absolute good if we are to have a true standard of measurement. Otherwise, the notion of "good" is simply whatever is "good" for you. Those who live by that creed are making themselves their own god.

edit on 1/13/2015 by WashMoreFeet because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2015 @ 03:36 PM
link   
a reply to: WashMoreFeet

The righteousness of God is the only absolute good. There must be absolute good if we are to have a true standard of measurement.

So when God killed off all life on planet Earth, save a few humans and a few animals, that was "absolute good"? And when God ordered the death of adulterers, fornicators, mouthy teenagers and those who considered other religions, that was "absolute good"?

Nonsense! If there was such a thing as a true standard of measurement based on "absolute good", we'd see evidence of it. But, there isn't any, none at all.

posted on Jan, 13 2015 @ 03:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: OpinionatedB

God has chosen to show HIMSELF in a more fine or delicate manner so as to allow deniablility for those who prefer not to be around HIM. Makes their life happier I am sure, and for those who want HIM well HE is right here.

I stand in the center of HIS Kingdom. You stand where you prefer just as I do.

To whom more is given more will be required, HE says. I am just willing to give more. As I like to say, enjoy your freewill as much as I enjoy mine.

You stand in the center of your opinion. The rest is debatable.

posted on Jan, 13 2015 @ 03:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: OpinionatedB

You see religion that way, because people were unwilling to give up their sin. They wanted God, but only on their own terms. Not on HIS.

See, to be a Christian means Be ye perfected even as I am perfected. It means walking away from all your sins - no matter what they are, and putting God first above self.

We have the ability to do that through the cross, but people don't want to... they are unwilling to put forth the effort so what you see are a bunch of people that met Christ, but then thumbed their nose at HIM when it came down to the choice between HIM and their money or HIM and their smokes.

HE walked away from them, yet in their arrogance they didn't see it. They are like the Pharisees and Sadducee in Jesus day.. The synagogue of satan. Hypocrites and liars who do not have any understanding of God whatsoever.

It's not too late for people to repent though, HE will forgive us. He stands arms open wide, offering. It's up to people whether or not to accept.

Why don't you open a church? Then you'll be able to preach all you want and even pass a collection plate. If you can't afford to buy a building, set up lawn chairs in your garage or living room. I'm serious. You seem to have a talent for it but we're not your congregation and never will be.

posted on Jan, 13 2015 @ 03:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: hombero
I sometimes wonder if I would be a happier person if I was able to believe in some omnipotent diety. It can be awfully lonely and difficult to tell what the right thing to do is without having a belief to fall back upon

Everyone has to decide what to believe. You can choose to believe in an invisible magic hobbit and follow a rule book written by men or you can choose to believe in an online preacher or you can choose to believe in yourself. I think the latter is the best bet because you know whether you can trust yourself. You can only guess whether you can trust the online preacher or the men who wrote a book thousands of years ago.

Why would following a convoluted, self-contradictory rule book written thousands of years ago provide one with comfort? I've never understood that. I should think that one would read Genesis 1 and Genesis 2 and notice the glaring contradiction and realize that this was the work of men.

posted on Jan, 13 2015 @ 03:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Tangerine

I do not care for money and have no need of a building. If you don't care to read what I say, then do not read it. No one forces you. This is the religion, faith and theology forum. You don't have to be here reading anything I say.

posted on Jan, 13 2015 @ 04:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Expat888

Text Have neither need nor use for any religion... its an instrument of oppression .. control .. used to justify cold blooded murder of anyone who doesnt believe in a groups particular superstition. primitive.. barbaric.. bloodthirsty superstition that should have been left behind centuries ago..

That is truly odd that you would be here on a religion forum that you despise. I would think that if one despises religion as you have depicted that one would avoid and ignore these stupid twits. Of course I realize that it may be difficult to define religion in many cases as some may say I am not religious but am spiritual. Are you saying that you have no need or respect for all spiritual aspects of humanity?

posted on Jan, 13 2015 @ 05:53 PM
link   
a reply to: OpinionatedB

You can believe in relics and mysterious magical powers all you want, the facts are, not a one of you Christians has the power to test anything, because you believe the entire fabrication as a whole.

You are unable to have freewill at all, and are taught to revel in the small sandboxes which are provided for you.

You actually believe that what you WORSHIP, is some ultimate Creator who has a plan, in some form.

You do not have the ability to see that many of the times where you get great feelings during worship and praying and whatnot are duplicated easily using other techniques, and many of those people actually understand how the human body works.

Your religion changes as fast as the leaves fall, yet no one falls off the wagon cause subconsciously you have made a pact with something you refer to as the DEVIL but actually just is a program running in the background.

When will your savior return ? NO savior exists, for you , or for the problems you have been FORCED to believe exist, such as GOD not being able to be around SIN.

SIN ITSELF is not something that has an attackful nature, and the way it is described must be rampant throughout the universe, and would certainly be in all things, including the grains of sand on the beach.

Face it , not a one of you would ever try the things JESUS SAID YOU COULD IN YOUR "BIBLE" because you are taught that only GOD will give you the sign when the time is right to perform such things,

BOW DOWN, and forget all that stuff, the real reason for holding back on those things is hidden in the GOD you are serving, the SERVITUDE, and the incredible belief that your GOD is perfect and yet all of its Creation is able to think its way into becoming an abomination, and that is something WRONG.

SO much more is going on than you guys can even begin to address, and that is the whole point isn't it ?

Not one ounce of worth more than any other religion, everyone of them thinking they are doing the will of GOD, and all of them will either finish this planet, this ENTIRETY OF CREATION, or be finished by some REAL TRUTH.

TRUTH, for ME, is something that tells us what is GOING ON HERE, and that is not EVER going to be found in your ridiculous beliefs of what "GOD" is.

Good luck too you, cause you are going to be in as bad of shape as the Muslims when even a small spark of the REAL-ENTITY that keeps all this charade going on, is FORCIBLY REMOVED.

posted on Jan, 13 2015 @ 06:00 PM
link   

I recently went to a gospel church on the West Coast. It was absolutely luminescent. I have never been more tempted to convert to a belief system in this lifetime.

posted on Jan, 13 2015 @ 06:44 PM
link   
a reply to: ParasuvO

You are unable to have freewill at all..

So I'm a robot? Who made me log onto ATS just now?

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join