It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

IRAN's Saeghe fighter

page: 1

join
share:
RAB

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 05:53 AM
link   
Hi Guy's,

Although the Saeghe is basically just a rebuilt F5 I think it's a bit cool.

Linkage:

www.janes.com...

The aircraft industry has a long history of upgrades and Mod's the millions of different MIG21's version show that of nicely.

As for the Saeghe the twin tall and any electronic updates will help, but I wonder if it's a full rebuild as the fight hours must be high by now.

Not that 24 of them will worry the US or anyone else for that matter :-)

Any thoughts?

RAB

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 06:13 AM
link   
a reply to: RAB

Yeah.....Don't underestimate the Iranians. They've kept their F-14s and others flying, and upgraded them for decades with no access to spares. They're a lot smarter than people give them credit for.

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 06:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

People forget the Iranian history of being leaders in their area and incredably clever people. Civilisation started in their part of the world and they were among some of the cleverest mathematicians in the world also.

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 06:34 AM
link   
I dunno why people think Iranians would be dumb, maybe its the colour of their skin?, they have a greater proportionate number of their people in secondary education than America and most of Europe does.

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 06:59 AM
link   
a reply to: Shiloh7

I don't think they're dumb. After all, according to many governments they're not too far away from building nuclear weapons. That does show some merit.

However... When you see them release items such as the F-313 it really makes you wonder.
edit on 1/10/2015 by cmdrkeenkid because: Fixing auto-correct error.

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 07:14 AM
link   
Interesting.

If you look into F-18 development history: You have the N300 a stretched F-5, followed by P-530 which added lerx and twin tails to get better high-alpha handling, resulting in the YF-17 from which the F/A-18 has been derived.

I guess adding lerx would have been too complex, so they went for the twin tails "upgrade" only.

RAB

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 07:42 AM
link   
HI,

I'm not underestimating the IRANIAN's just the numbers, I doubt it would have a major impact on a US battle group. (but of course that would depend on both tactic's and weapons used.

I also wonder if they have the ability to swap the engines out with newer models? but the size limits may stop that.

moebius good point about the F18, will be interesting to see if they have the near term ability to fully manufacture a system like this on a large scale / new build basis.

RAB

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 08:22 AM
link   
a reply to: moebius

Adding LERX adds complexity. If you're going to be operating in the field, or bases that don't have the capabilities of your major bases, the last thing you want is more complexity and more failure points.

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 08:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

Yeah.....Don't underestimate the Iranians. They've kept their F-14s and others flying, and upgraded them for decades with no access to spares. They're a lot smarter than people give them credit for.

www.timesofisrael.com...

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 10:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: RAB
Hi Guy's,

Although the Saeghe is basically just a rebuilt F5 I think it's a bit cool.

Linkage:

www.janes.com...

The aircraft industry has a long history of upgrades and Mod's the millions of different MIG21's version show that of nicely.

As for the Saeghe the twin tall and any electronic updates will help, but I wonder if it's a full rebuild as the fight hours must be high by now.

Not that 24 of them will worry the US or anyone else for that matter :-)

Any thoughts?

RAB

LAst i heard these were all sub sonic fighter jets. there is a vid on youtube since 2008 if i remember about these.
They are not really a threat unless they get close.

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 09:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: yuppa

LAst i heard these were all sub sonic fighter jets.

The Mig-21 and F-5 in ht post you quoted are both supersonic - I think you must have misread something.

posted on Jan, 11 2015 @ 09:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: cmdrkeenkid

However... When you see them release items such as the F-313 it really makes you wonder.

For those that haven't seen Iran's latest technological marvel, here is the Qaher F-313 stealth fighter jet, “one of the most sophisticated fighter jets in the world,” according to Tehran....

Apparently it is sporting some new, fancy stealth coating that is impervious to scratches. And can any flyer tell me the last time they saw an aircraft of any sort riding a trailer in this fashion?

posted on Jan, 11 2015 @ 10:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

They were given spares to facilitate the Iranian hostage release I believe. I remember some cloak and dagger stuff taking place to that effect. I believe I read it in either Flight Journal or Air and Space.

posted on Jan, 11 2015 @ 11:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aloysius the Gaul

originally posted by: yuppa

LAst i heard these were all sub sonic fighter jets.

The Mig-21 and F-5 in ht post you quoted are both supersonic - I think you must have misread something.

Well apparently they have been upgraded, their engines were not as powerful as the f-5 its was based on when it was just coming into production.

Also the 313 in flight vid was a scale model they had built to see if it can actually fly. then came photo shopped pictures of it flying over some mountains.

top topics

join