It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Great Retro Thread

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 04:20 PM
link   
I bought this for $20 at a garage sale this year. It's now hanging on my wall as retro art because it truly is.

Not an electric form of entertainment but still retro.

Peace

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Besides Captain Kangaroo, which another poster shared, I liked this one:

Thundarr the Barbarian

I also liked Super Chicken

Tennessee Tuxedo was cool

Hun Kung Phooey was great

Who can forget Speed Buggy?

The Grape Ape was cool, too

I could go on for hours but there's only so much space. Saturday morning used to be so awesome. What happened?

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 09:04 PM
link   
Blake's 7
Sapphire and Steel
The Professionals

And that American space one with Martin Landau, i cant think of the name. It had Moonbase Alpha in it

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 10:18 PM
link   
Loving the replies! I've had to Google a couple things mentioned in the thread.

Here are some sports memories from years past.

"I'm the punky QB, known as McMahon.
When I hit the turf, I've got no plan."
Possibly the most ridiculous thing to come out of the 80's... and remember, the 80's produced pegged jeans and members only jackets, so we knew a thing or two about ridiculousness.

THE SKYWALKER

The Braves when the sucked
The Braves were my team. As a kid they were BAD, very bad... so there was no bandwagon. Growing up in New Mexico I watched them because they were on TBS (games start at 6:05 Eastern, 4:05 Mountain!) So when something good happened in any game, it stuck in the fan's memories.
Like Bob Horner's incredible night:

"Fly ball deep left center, Grissom on the run, deep left center.... YES YES YES, the Atlanta Braves have given you a championship!"

That call was my morning wake-up tape on my stereo tape deck alarm through college. Every morning I woke up reliving Skip Carey making that call that every Braves fan knows by heart. I still remember sitting in the livingroom with my dad watching that 9th inning, fingers on both hands crossed through it all, folder containing all my Braves baseball cards sitting on the coffee table for luck, and my filthy, old Braves cap on my head because I was too superstitious to consider wearing one of my newer ones.

Fun, non sports stuff
Garbage Pail Kids. Did you know thy still make these? I had a big collection of them through grade school, and was constantly trading them with my friends. We even had exchange rates:
"I'll trade you a Handy Randy and a Pickin' Nick for that Bruised Lee"

Scratch and Sniff stickers.
These were great. They weren't exactly a "boy" thing, but my best friend and I appreciated the fact that his sisters collected them. We'd sometimes grab a rootbeer or PB&J Mello-Smello sticker for the inside cover of a schoolbook. Nothing better than sitting in the middle of a boring math lesson and grabbing a quick scratch and whiff of chocolate cake.

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 10:28 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

I loved the Garbage Pail kids and scratch and sniff stickers. Do they still make the stickers?

posted on Jan, 11 2015 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Just to add
Top cat
Garfield
Fun house
Grotbags
Button moon
Fraggle rock
Nightmare

posted on Jan, 11 2015 @ 04:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Skid Mark

Oh man I remember all those shows. Saturday morning WAS the best back then.

Future generations can pinpoint the fall of our society when Saturday morning cartoons disappeared

posted on Jan, 11 2015 @ 04:29 PM
link   
a reply to: mymymy

That is so true. I've seen the crap that kids watch now and do not like it. It's all computer stuff for the most part. Half of them aren't even about anything.

posted on Jan, 11 2015 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Going back a bit further we purchased eight original Slinky's never used and in their original boxes. Found them at a garage sale for only a buck each $1.00 Canadian for folks over seas.

I have no idea what we are going to do with them but it's comforting to have a bit of your childhood in the hall closet. I don't know what year they did it but they are now plastic and made in China.

Nice enjoyable thread.
Regards, Iwinder

posted on Jan, 12 2015 @ 07:17 PM
link   
Does anyone remember a show like land of the lost, except there was a really hot blond chick in a leather skirt? I have seen other people looking for it, but have had no luck finding even a name.

posted on Jan, 12 2015 @ 09:32 PM
link   
a reply to: ISawItFirst

You could try Land of the Giants.

BTW, why has no one mentioned Voyage to the Bottom of the Seas. One of the originals.

P

posted on Jan, 13 2015 @ 09:53 AM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

Especially HR Pufnstuf and Dark Shadows. I started watching Dark Shadows when I was 6! Mom said I would get mad if they didn't let me have the TV when it came on. Witchypoo scared the crap outta me when I was little.
Jeez. Are we old or what?

posted on Jan, 13 2015 @ 09:57 AM
link   
a reply to: pheonix358
Loved that one too.

edit on 13-1-2015 by DAVID64 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2015 @ 10:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: pheonix358

BTW, why has no one mentioned Voyage to the Bottom of the Seas. One of the originals.

P
Nope that wasn't it. I hope it's not another steiner moment, I've seen other people searching for it. It was like land of the lost, dinosaurs etc. The chick looked like the famous picture of Raquel Welch. For some reason I was thinking the land that time forgot, or something like that.

posted on Jan, 13 2015 @ 10:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: ISawItFirst

originally posted by: pheonix358

P
Nope that wasn't it. I hope it's not another steiner moment, I've seen other people searching for it. It was like land of the lost, dinosaurs etc. The chick looked like the famous picture of Raquel Welch. For some reason I was thinking the land that time forgot, or something like that.

I found this:
www.tvguide.com...

And it looks like it could be it, but no info at all. Can't be the movie, different actors, and these people look familiar, but why no mention of it anywhere else in cyberspace. Gonna dig a bit more.

Nope, this is a movie from 2009. Not it at all. Dang. My steiner timeline is all messed up, but you guys missed out on one of the hottest short leather skirts on tv in the 90s.
edit on 13-1-2015 by ISawItFirst because: Last Pp added.

posted on Jan, 13 2015 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Here's pretty much my entire childhood in a 34 minute Saturday morning tv compilation:

And on rainy afternoons, this is what we watched:

Lovin the trip down memory lane !

posted on Jan, 13 2015 @ 04:22 PM
link   
My bologna has a first name, it's O-S-C-A-R
My bologna has a second name, it's M-A-Y-E-R

Oh I love to eat it every day,
And if you ask me why I'll say...

Cause Oscar Mayer has a way with B-O-L-O-G-N-A

posted on Jan, 13 2015 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Here are some more of my favorites. Who else remembers them?

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 12:49 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

Great Stuff!

In Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back, Will Farrell(sp?) plays the role of "Marshall Willinholly" attempting to recover the stolen ape (that he keeps calling a monkey). Later, he plays the role of "Marshall" on the Land of the Lost movie adaptation with Danny Mcbride (i think that is his name) playing a very funny "Will". Chaka was also very funny. I thought the movie was stupid at first, but it grew into one of my great list contenders, much like Borat.

All we have to do to find proof of our generation's greatness, is to look around our world today. It is like there are no new ideas. Every movie out just about is a remake, even modern cars are styled all retro. I guess you can let a good thing die, or even fade away anymore. If it sold once... SELL IT AGAIN!

I was always a destroy the box trying to get at my new toy to play with it. I kick myself thinking about the pile of melted Star Wars, Heman, and Gi Joe figures buried in my childhood home's backyard! I could be rich! I had everything from Castle Greyskull to the giant Mellinium (sp?) Falcon. Now all I have is a Han Solo missing his gun, and a Vader with no cape and his slide out Lightsaber also nowhere to be found. I did hold on to a very nice HotWheels collection, but two little boy's later and a Mom who didn't appreciate the value, even they have sadly moved on.

My best friend's mom wrote the first couple of hundred episodes of Peppermint Place, so it was pretty cool to go to his Birthday parties when Mr. Peppermint was there. Most people don't know this, but Gibby Haynes of "The Butthole Surfers" fame is Mr. Peppermint's son. Yes that madman came from those beginnings

edit on 14-1-2015 by wastedown because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join