It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Venezuelans Throng Grocery Stores Under Military Protection

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 09:10 PM
link   
Looks like the problems in Venezuela are getting worse.

Shortages getting even shorter.

The price of oil must be crippling the corrupt government there.

When will people say they've Had IT ?

Venezuelans Throng Grocery Stores Under Military Protection

Shoppers thronged grocery stores across Caracas today as deepening shortages led the government to put Venezuela’s food distribution under military protection.

Long lines, some stretching for blocks, formed outside grocery stores in the South American country’s capital as residents search for scarce basic items such as detergent and chicken.

UNdistributed

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 09:28 PM
link   

When will people say they've Had IT ?

Why you think Chavez got all those shinny Russians weapons for? Venezuela is ruled by narcogenerals that send tons of coke to Europe, people cannot do anything agaist them, last year there where riots for month and at the end nothing happened, a tank can more.

The only way it ends it a militar uprising, nothing more than a power grabbing from one cartel to another, the opposition politicians are part of the system, they make their living opposing, they dont want change they are ok as they are, never have made a coherent proposition to solve the problems.

Maduro days may soon be over (I don't think so but there is always hope), but a government change won't fix the country problems, the corruption runs deep, it will take generations to fix the damage Chavez made

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 10:20 PM
link   
The people will say they've had it when they hop that Mexican train and illegally cross the US border to the land of milk, honey and free stuff.

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 11:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Indigent

Isn't chavez dead?

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 11:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: ZeussusZ
a reply to: Indigent

Isn't chavez dead?

His ghost continues to haunt.

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 12:21 AM
link   
Please do your part and save one Venezuelan babe at a time...ONE per customer until things are safe again for the general populace...
edit on 10-1-2015 by Emeraldous because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 06:51 AM
link   
a reply to: ZeussusZ

Afther he came to power he changed the structure of the country having in mind only to keep the power, he brought the country on a delicate balance on the brink of collapse that only him could keep that way.

He may be dead but the structure he made is still in place, maduro is not really the leader of Venezuela, he cannot do anything as the militars are the ones that have the power and he has to do all having in mind their interest.

After Chavez died the chavizmo fractionated in 3 groups that have different visions of the country, maduro needs to keep them all happy, meaning he cannot take measurements that angry any faction, so he does nothing.

All that is happening now is Chavez fault, an opositor could be president instead of maduro and still the country would be the same, Chavez destroyed local production and replaced all with imports dependent on oil earnings, the local production that took decades to be build cannot be made again in 2 years.
edit on 10-1-2015 by Indigent because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Whaaaat! When I first read the op I thought what is a throng and why are shops selling them? Are they that dangerous that the military has to protect the shops selling them?

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Venezuela is a good example of what could happen here in an economic crisis. I've been studying it as well as Greece and Argentina during their crashes.

I may put up my findings soon, but my initial figures are extremely depressing. I was starting with a list of scarce items and the prices at the official stores (when they have anything to sell) and the prices at the black markets. I may include some advice on surviving this type of situation as well as the inflation in the average cost of living in such an economic disaster.

I had to give it a rest for a while, it really is quite depressing to think of how that might apply to our country in a similar crash scenario.

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 04:48 PM
link   
a reply to: MichiganSwampBuck

There was a blog post written by a man who had survived an economic collapse in one of the S. American countries I read years ago. Some of the salient points I remember were to make your home as defensible/secure as possible. Have a good dog although that is the first thing that will likely be taken out. Buy gold - necklaces and such, not bars and bullion - the former is ready trade goods whereas the latter can't be bartered easily. Learn how to fix as many things as you can not only is it a ready trade skill but it keeps your own stuff useable longer. Don't rely on law enforcement. What there is will be corrupt as likely as not.

posted on Jan, 12 2015 @ 07:49 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Yeah, that was the guy from Argentina, and the basis of my current study. The problem is that each economic crash has different factors involved, so any comparison I could make for the U.S. will be flawed. However, such a comparison is scarey and depressing as no amount of a devalued currency seems to be enough in such a scenario and precious metals can only go so far and most likely money will still be the vehicle of trade.

I'll get my findings up soon I suppose.

posted on Jan, 12 2015 @ 08:41 AM
link   
a reply to: MichiganSwampBuck

All I can say is that I am hoping that a patch of ground still in the family along with a close network of kin in the area all with diverse skills, including mechanical no-how and farming knowledge and hunting and fishing, will be able to help bolster us should the worst occur and we have to fall back. Still the old ground will get crowded. Plenty of room though if we all learn how to build.

new topics

top topics

join