It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Herman the Bull

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 08:45 PM
link   
Herman was the first transgenic bovine. He was born Dec 16, 1990 and died 14 years later. He would have been 24 years old now. He had many offspring, all of which inherited the gene to make a human protein--lactoferrin.

en.wikipedia.org...
At the early embryo stage, Herman was genetically engineered in a laboratory by Gen Pharm International of Mountain View, California. Scientists microinjected cells with the human gene coding for lactoferrin. The Dutch Parliament changed law in December 1992 to allow Herman to reproduce. Eight calves were born in 1994 following a breeding program established at Gen Pharm's European laboratory Pharming Group N.V in Leiden, the Netherlands. All calves inherited the lactoferrin production gene.[4] With subsequently sirings, Herman fathered a total of 83 calves.[3]

Watching the movie "Transcendence" right now, and thinking about Transhumanism.

Wondering about the ethics of gene transfer to "improve" humanity--or just specific humans.
Certainly to treat genetic diseases, a good case could be made for it.

But to improve the human race (or races)--or even to invent a "new" race---what are your thoughts on genetic manipulation, and specifically, transgenic "hybrids" for humanity.

Do we already have transgenic (with genes from non-humans) people walking amongst us?

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Walking around us by what means? You mean experiments, unwilling civilians?

Either way, I think we'd be surprised by half the stuff walking around on this planet...

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 08:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Yeahkeepwatchingme

Perhaps "unwitting"--eggs or embryos could not be "unwilling".

I'm sure we do have folks who have had some genetic transfer by virus.

An ethicist by name of Savulescu has opined the following:

hplusbiopolitics.wordpress.com...

"The animal and plant kingdoms—the kingdom of genes—contain vast amounts of genetic information of potential value to humanity. Humans have many unique and valuable qualities, like the capacity for high-level moral reasoning. But they also have many limitations, which other animals and plants do not. We age faster than some animals,we do not have sonar, acute sight, hearing, smell, or the capacity to photosynthesize or produce our own essential nutrients.
And we are susceptible to diseases other animals are not.
These limitations are genetic. By understanding how genes
contribute to function we could use these genes, or artificial
copies of their sequences, to overcome the limitations of
being human."

edit on 01/09/2015 by Tusks because: (no reason given)

edit on 10/06/2013 by Tusks because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 09:46 PM
link   
i say keep humans the way they are. There are even further extremes when speaking in terms of Apotheosis.

The most powerful and long lasting Apotheosis would be to embue the very fabric of our consiousness into an animated particle state.

If we did so it would be wise to chose an element that is unalterable, That cannot be transfered from one source to another ( Because these things would be come weaknesses)

For example, lets say you wanted to embue yourself into carbon nano fibers. Fine, but it won't mean that the carbon won't degrade within even a century. Push it to a millenium and the chances of suvival are scarcer.

You would still require nomalized humans to gain up to date DNA. Because the information WILL become corrupted over time.

It does not last forever.

So to turn everyone into a deer or a moose or a fish would be a bad idea for one. It could be irreversable.

Second. Metal, cyramics, and rubbers all have a shelf life. If you were to send these things into space. It would HAVE to interact with many objects along the way to self repair.

Nanobots would be a more likely canditdate for traveling the galaxy in such a case as they can easily be repaired in comparison to somelike like a cyborg bionic human.

We could freeze everyone with a frogs gene using this to survive cryo-stasis. Sorry walk disney looks like your luck ran out the moment you crawled in. Unless they wanna clone the bastard?

Anyways point being. Embuing our consiousness into Manifested Cold Plasma is the future.
And co-incidentally is the highest form of life one can obtain in the Universe.

What element should we go for? Dark matter?

Seems like something we were destined for honestly.

edit on 9-1-2015 by AnuTyr because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 09:50 PM
link   
Glad I stopped eating cow products.

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 06:03 AM
link   
a reply to: Tusks

Its a very familiar pitch .......from satan .
You will not die but you will be as gods when you eat of the tree of knowledge .
You will live forever.

It seems more and more that im being told i will not die but live forever and i am my own god...
REmember folks you can always download yourself... into a computer.

new topics

top topics

join