It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Answering my child's questions about 9/11

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 07:31 PM
link   
This is sorta a doozy for me. The girl (12 yo) asks me what I know about 9/11. I can only tell her the research that I've personally done and my own opinions lead me to believe that as a nation we were mislead about the events of that day.

It's hard for me to tell her that I think what she's learned in school is wrong, and it's equally hard for her to accept that her teachers have taught her something false.

I will not make the mistakes of my parents by forcing my beliefs on her, I want her to come to her own conclusions, but it wondered if any members here have had this conversation with their children? How did you react? What did you say?

Part of me wants to blurt out "the govt does NOT have your best interests in mind and this is a nation that has slipped into corporate greed and hate mongering and hopefully the mother ship is on it's way cause we're gonna need a lot of $&@!?! help."

Anyone?

Thanks.

Peace be the journey

-dbd
edit on 9-1-2015 by denybedoomed because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 07:39 PM
link   
I have no suggestions, only the same questions. Mine are younger than yours, and I know the questions will come one day as I was in the military when it happened and that's obviously a big part of the aftermath.

Not looking forward to it myself, so I'm awaiting replies to your thread too

edit on 9-1-2015 by Shamrock6 because: To. Too. Two?

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 07:43 PM
link   
a reply to: denybedoomed

The great quote from Orwell's 1984:

Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two make four. If that is granted, all else follows.

I think that's a good guideline. You don't have to push your beliefs on anyone, in fact its advisable not to in many cases, but if you help with questioning and critical thinking you do a great deal. I think learning about history, like with the burning of the Reichstag (likely) by Hitler's goons, questioning and thinking critically about all kinds of other world events follows naturally.

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Toughy!

I would explain to her that your opinion comes from many many hours of research, and that you maybe willing to share your opinion once she has spent many many hours researching it too! That her teacher's opinion is valid, but valid does not always mean correct. There is a plethora of opinions regarding this subject, and that she should explore them all equally.
Then maybe you can have 'that' conversation with her.

Best of luck

edit on 9/1/15 by OpenEars123 because: My fingers blow

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 07:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: denybedoomed

If you want to tell her the truth, simply say "we don't know what happened."

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 07:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aliian

See this is an 'ideal' answer (kudos) But unfortunately 12 year old kids don't 'do' ideal, they want answers NOW

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 08:17 PM
link   
I can't help but find a certain irony here that it is almost harder to explain or talk about 911 than it is "The Other inevitable Talk." You know, the birds and bees one.

Is she a smart child with a very inquisitive mind? Or just more curious. I'm not trying to be any kind of way asking that, just that if she is the brainy type perhaps you can ask her why she asked? What are her questions about it? Might be easier to open the dialogue of more specific things you might be able to answer, or at least get a better idea of what direction to point her in to find her own answers.

Hope that made sense. Can't say as I envy you this one though.

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 08:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: OpenEars123

originally posted by: Aliian

See this is an 'ideal' answer (kudos) But unfortunately 12 year old kids don't 'do' ideal, they want answers NOW

They don't appreciate lies and damn foolery either. Tell her the truth. Tell her people crashed planes into the buildings and they fell down. Simple as that (to start).

Then let her ask question number two. "Why?"

People disagree a lot about that. Depending on who you ask there are many different reasons . They can't all be right, though. I don't know all the answers either. What have you been hearing about it?

Putting it back to her to ask the questions helps her vent whats puzzling her about it. It might be something simple. Letting her know that its not that easy to understand all at once and the conflicting opinions is better imo, than confusing her even more about it. Admitting you don't know also helps her instead of feeling embarrassed about not knowing.

If she goes silent let her think it through, sometimes some new information might take a while to settle in. Don't lead her, let her divulge what she knows or wants to know.

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 08:47 PM
link   

Agreed intrprtr. I have had conversations about it with my child, now 14. I have made it very clear to her that school is great but that ultimately teachers are only teaching what they've been hired to teach, it doesn't necessarily mean they believe in what they are teaching.

That no matter what through life it is her responsibility to research every angle and then make a decision, not to ever take anyone else's opinion on any matter. Never to be fed or led, but to be her own thinker.

I've also told her no government is 100% on your side and all governments are following their own agenda. I haven't taught her to be paranoid of our government but just to be wary and then seek out her own belief as she gets older.

But facts are facts and yes, intrprtr I think you said it well.

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 09:08 PM
link   
Just tell your children that Saudi Arabian Jewish Muslim Israelites that worked for the CIA payed by the MOSSAD, used missile guided drone holograms to attack the towers & pentagon, that were actually brought down/destroyed by mini suitcase nukes, lined with thermite, because Dick Cheney didn't like the freedom of Murica, F#ck Yeaaaahhh...

In all honesty, that's what they're gonna come away with once they study it for themselves...

Might as well save them the time

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 10:46 PM
link   
The child is wise beyond her years. Having type 1 diabetes has made her grow up a lot. Which is a little sad for me, she is my step daughter and I'm very open about things with her. I've told her what I think about extraterrestrials after she asked me about my obsession with The X files. She is a smart kid. I'm all for letting her form her own opinions, but it will be hard to see her turn into a mindless drone eating up the MSM BS. I won't let that happen, but granted, the world she will be growing up in will be drastically different from mine. And I'm only 26.

So, yeah, having kids is weird. . . .

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 11:26 PM
link   
Tell her the truth.. that the public got fed a pack of lies about it and politicians used it to strip away the rights of citizens along with start illegal wars.. and that many are still trying to learn the truth of what actually happened that day and why.. also show her all the evidence available on the subject.

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 11:35 PM
link   

She must already know the official story through school. So get her to critically think about that story from different angles.
She will soon figure out somethings not right.

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 12:10 AM
link   

You better stick with the 'official' story, otherwise she may be coerced into turning Daddy in for being subversive and potential terra wrist.

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 12:18 AM
link   
Well, you see our nation wanted to get into the Middle East real bad. To get public opinion and to beat the patriotic bells of our young men and women, they flew two planes into the twin towers. That way, they could use a strictly volunteer army without getting the country in an uproar over a draft. They figured the resource grab was a great way to keep the petrodollar relevant. This was to keep an economic collapse from happening and to keep our presence in the theater strong. More bases built, just in case the other superpowers had a notion of butting in. This was a bonus because we encircled all of our enemies. The boogeyman was in place to have us fight wars for years to come. Military contracts made money. Companies like Halliburton made money hand over fist.

There is another part of the story. This is the time where our great nation militarized the police. They also created the Patriot Act that took away some of our freedoms for security. After that, it was revised so more freedoms would get taken. To cover their asses, they also added the NDAA. We now call our nation the homeland. All we are really missing is the swastica armbands and brown shirts.
edit on 10-1-2015 by LOSTinAMERICA because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 12:21 AM
link   
I'm on the red list.

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 12:54 AM
link   
Yes Virginia, there really is a secret society trying to enslave all mankind.

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 04:56 AM
link   
A simple solution you could take is leave a video on youtube on the screen so it looks like you were watching it then had to move and do something else. When your child watched the video i will guarantee that she will watch the related videos and then come to you with questions that you can answer.

You are not forcing this on her but offering her an alternative. If she does not believe what she watches then she will tell you so and you can leave the matter answered and you will know how she sees the world.

Let her find the videos for herself.

Remember debating is good.

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 06:42 AM
link   
It is a difficult question.

if a 12 year old was to ask me that I would simply say something along the lines of Bad men attacked America and lots of people died. Keep it very simple, she is to young to comprehend the idea of either the Official Story or the conspiracies, she probably does not know who Bush or Bin Laden actually where. So I would keep it really simple but also tell her to ask again when she is a few years older.

Then when she is older rather than you saying to her "it was a bunch of guys in a cave" or "it was a huge government false flag", I personally would encourage her to go out and do her own research to see where that leads her. If it leads her to believe something different from you then so be it.

At least she will have found her answers for her self and learned something at the same time.

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 09:06 AM
link   
What I have always done with my children is explain the two (MSM and mine) reasonable trains of thought on a subject, then let them take it from there.

top topics

join