It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bishop who exorcised a governor over gay marriage will bless Arizona’s legislative session

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 05:46 PM
link   

www.rawstory.com...

another from..."you just can't make this **** up" department.

Thee Catholic Church’s Phoenix Diocese has selected an Illinois bishop who performed a long-distance exorcism on his state’s governor to speak at the “Red Mass” that marks the beginning of Arizona’s legislative session, The Arizona Daily Star reports.

The Church selected Bishop Thomas Paprocki of Springfield, Illinois to open the session. Last year, Paprocki conducted “prayers of supplication and exorcism in reparation for the sin of same-sex marriage” on the day Governor Pat Quinn signed a bill legalizing same-sex marriage.

Well that makes perfect sense.

“Be gone Satan, father of lies, enemy of human salvation,” Paprocki said at the ceremony. “Give way to Christ, in whom you found no trace of your works. Give way to the one, holy, Catholic and apostolic church, which Christ himself won by his blood.”

Christ won the Catholic church? I don't get it....

Support for the Pope was bipartisan, as Representative Kate Brophy McGee (R-Phoenix) told The Daily Star that “I’m going to go with the pope” and his message to “grow our church and grow our understanding of God and not let anybody feel that they’re not worthy to be in front of God.”

"Grow our church"?

So is Catholicism now the official state religion of Arizona?

This is all very confusing for a backsliding Texas Baptist. Perhaps a member of the "True Faith" could help me out.
edit on 9-1-2015 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Are Democrats boycotting the session?

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Yes because even though the Pope says gays are welcome in the church; he has not said the church may marry gays.

In other words, for Catholics marriage should be between one man and one woman. That's why the Bishop exorcised him.

So I presume at the moment that a gay may go to church at the Catholic church but may not get married there.

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 06:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
Are Democrats boycotting the session?

Anyone with half a brain should. So the answer is obviously no.

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 07:21 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

I haven't read your link, but I'll answer your questions about the Catholic Church.

"...one, holy, catholic (small C) and apostolic church..."

There is only one true church founded by Jesus Christ, and it's obviously holy. 2000 years later, it still exists, it's called The Catholic Church. Catholic (lower case C), means "universal". EVERYone is invited to the feast of The Lamb. Apostolic. There is a succession of authority going all the way back to the 12 Apostles, who "laid hands" on those that would follow them. This handing on the baton, so to speak, continues right to the present.

"Growing the church". The Church is the mystical body of Jesus Christ. Jesus is the head of the body, his Mother Mary is "the neck", and all faithful disciples make up the body. The Church grows as folks take up their cross, and follow Him. We believe He is The Way, The Truth and The Life.

Your post started talking about a bishop, then you tossed in a comment about our Holy Father, the pope. Bishop Paprocki is not the pope.

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 07:22 PM
link   

Looks like a non-issue to me. I don't see how any of these actions will have any effect on the constituents of any of these politicians. No one is making laws. It all seems ceremonial to me. What does it matter what they did or said?

It doesn't. Personal beliefs and/or statements that are receiving high publicity is all this is.

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Re why the Catholic Church considers itself the True Church, see Ignatian's post for a synopsis.

Re the Red Mass.... heck, I had to look that one up myself.... googled and up came "red carpet massage scottsdale arizona".... that's not it ...found this

having originated with the Mass that marked the opening of Parliament in 13th Century England. The traditional name of “The Red Mass” is derived from the color of the vestments worn by priests. Red is the liturgical color for the Holy Spirit, a reminder of the fire that is a symbol of God’s Holy Spirit. Also, attending judges in centuries past wore robes of bright scarlet, providing another connection of the Mass to those who serve people in the names of justice and governance.

So, it sounds like the Arizona Catholic Church diocese puts on a special Mass for the legislators. I think it would have been more of a story if they had put on a Black Mass lol If I were a legislator, I would have liked for the Jewish community to have some sort of service followed by a deli buffet …. Since Arizona is a conservative state, I could see why this Bishop was invited, especially after he had already exorcised an elected leader. Hey, step out of line and I’ll exorcise you!

Hey, guess who else spoke (2010) at this Red Mass... the same Cardinal Burke who said radical feminists were to blame for pedophile priests. Ain't that a hoot!

Speaking of Southern Baptists and Catholics, I’m sure you remember that the KKK hated Catholics. So how is it that Steve Scalise, a Catholic, could speak at a White Supremacist gathering (some of his apologists use this bit of history to say he didn‘t know his audience)? Well, anti-abortion was used to unite conservative, right wing Catholics and Protestants and KKK/white supremacists decades ago. Yep, fell right into the laps of the GOP to help with their Southern Strategy; imagine a Pennsylvania Catholic uniting with a Southern Baptist. ......

.....remember Rick Santorum's "blah..." moment? Maybe that's why he got a sizable donation from someone.

Hope this helped.

edit on 10-1-2015 by desert because: punc

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 12:58 PM
link   
There are areas of Phoenix that are very white conservative.

Not really a surprise.

top topics

join